kinda OT- road miracle

colterphoto1

So yesterday a friend comes over to keep me company on a road trip to Forum member daveagape2's place somewhere east of Cleveland OH. We leave from Indy about 9:30 am, and travel at, as Troy puts it "Michael speed", some 15-20 beyond legal, trying to make good time. Of course Ohio's finest are on the lookout for guys like me and they are everywhere this day. Numerous traffic jams due to accidents on snow/ice make the normal 5 hour trip take about 6.

We get to Dave's thanks to excellent directions and purchase a set of four OAK RB5's and matching OAK KLF-C7. Pristine as advertised. Dave gives us a nice demo of his Rotel/Def Tech 6.1 system containing 6 massive leather recliners in a Batman-themed room that was converted from a 2 1/2 car garage 19x30 feet. His Crown-powered SVS sub (about 8 ft3 box with 4x 12" in push-pull config. shakes the room so hard the HD projector shakes during scenes of Spiderman 2.

We get packed up, say thanks and good-bys, and head home.

It's dark. Salt spray keeps dimming the headlights. I'm tired.

About 2 hours into the trip home, I drift from fast lane into middle lane, thinking there may be a cop ahead. Having second thought, I speed up and pull back into left lane, passing a few cars. Troy yells- OMIGOD DID YOU SEE THAT DEER!?!?!?!

There was an adult doe IN THE LANE I WAS ALMOST IN! He said I came within about 5 feet from it. If I'd continued changing lanes, we would have surely hit it.

Was it just dumb luck that I pulled wheel back left or was there some intervention? I was aware of the entire episode, so not just weaving through traffic, but recall something in my mind saying 'go ahead and get back to the left'.

Tried talking about it PUlp Fiction style to Troy but we were a little shaken and drove pretty cautiously from that point on.

Anyway, better unload these babies and get em hooked up. Can't wait to hear a full Reference system. Mine have always been bastardized mixed up (although fully Klipsch) systems. Later

Michael

Call it what you will, I am a firm believer that there are few coincidences. Yes, this is my opinion, and I just may get quashed for saying so, but in the end, I am glad you made it home safely. Happy New Year!

Hey, BTW, what happened to all your nifty avatars?

Popbumper

Michael,

Glad to hear you made it back safely............Indiana Deer are at an all time high!

Please Post some photos /comments when you can. Regards Bill

EDIT: This was a nice reminder for me- I am going to INDY airport today! Good luck with the move/ setup.

Re avatars, Me and the girls are kinda on our outs, and I got feeling guilty that I was being disrespectful of them.

Re pix, I know, for a photographer I've not shown a single system photo yet, but the move in and remodeling of this house are taking forever. I'll get some digital pix of Hearth room (main listening/viewing) before we take holiday decor down. More will follow. Now for the speaker moving excercise!

Michael

I'm happy to hear you missed the deer. I hit one last year, and one hit me (dumb thing ran right into the side of my truck) this year already. Some guy on my road hit a 12 point, 200 pounder. Talk about a trophy... I don't know how the vehicle fared in that encounter. I'm guessing it didn't take it too well.

Colterphoto,

Glad your road trip turned out well. That was definitely a close call. My insurance agent hands out "deer whistles" free in his office. Supposedly this enables the deer to hear the vehicles coming and stay out of the way. Hitting a deer is not only usually expensive in damage to your car, but can likely lead to a more severe accident, injury or worse.

Thanks all. Guess it wouldn't be much of a road trip without an incident or near miss of some sort. Just glad the deer made it off road okay and RB's survived without a scratch.

BTW, just swapped out two of the RB5's for my RB3's in the rear of my main HT setup with Cornies. WOW, what a difference, just a little more bass due to that massive port, but the 2dB in efficiency gain made them a great match for my Cornwalls. Now back to the Yamaha YPAO for a retweak or two...

Other pair or RB5's will prob be used when I take Corns down this spring for rework, so at that point I'll have a (fake shudder) totally Reference system in the main room.

Michael

----------------

On 12/29/2004 12:20:09 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Colterphoto,

Hitting a deer is not only usually expensive in damage to your car, but can likely lead to a more severe accident, injury or worse.

----------------

At the very least, it's an unpleasant experience for the deer...

Is that like a Deer John Letter?

Or is that like a John Deere?

Either one, Johns are not what you want your child to be.9.gif

dodger

EDIT POST:

No pictures, as Bose will not allow trademarked or Registered Mark photos to be displayed without their express and written consent.

There is a Wave in the Throne Room.

End Edit

There was an adult doe IN THE LANE I WAS ALMOST IN! He said I came within about 5 feet from it. If I'd continued changing lanes, we would have surely hit it.

Was it just dumb luck that I pulled wheel back left or was there some intervention?

Yes

divine intervention

happens all of the time

hey but I am delusional

I have no idea why I'm posting this, but it seems to fit the thread...

Once, about (GOD!) 17 years ago, I was driving from my then-girl-friend's house in Del Norte, Colorado back to Denver to fly home to Connecticut. I was on I-285 about 4 miles out of Monte Vista, just short of Center. I was driving a rented Dodge Shelby Cobra (fast little sh*tbox with twin sequential turbocharges on little FWD car, Charger I think). I was going about 110 / 115, maybe 5:30 AM. I saw something (?) ahead of me in my lane, couldn't tell exactly what it was. Squinted, leaned forward in seat (?), still couldn't make it out in early morning glare. Moved over to left lane, never occured to me to slow down. Object turned out to be two antelope standing in middle of right lane. I went by them at well over 100mph. Funny thing, I could see the expresion on their faces very clearly even at that speed. Mild curiousity. They never moved. I guess I passed them with maybe 18 inches between me and the closest one. It didn't occur to me for several hours to wonder what would have happened if one of then had simply taken a step to my left.

This reminds me of when I was about 6 years old, that would be about 1968. We were coming home from Christmas shopping. My Dad was driving, I was in the front seat between him and Mom. My two sisters and my brother were in the backseat, all older than I. We were on I-85 coming out of High Point, NC, it might have been called Hwy. 29 back then, anyway it had four lanes. For some unexplained reason my Dad just moved over into the left lane, he hadn't been in it for more than a few hundred yards and all of sudden we passed this pile of steel drain pipe that was in the right hand lane. We got a little further down the road and it seemed that a truck was loaded too high and had hit and overpass and knocked off about 4 or 5 pieces pipe. We were like what just happened. I don't think we even realized how lucky we were until an hour or so later.

Back then almost no one wore seatbelts. If I was setting up front Mom would always put her arm across my chest if she show that we were going to come to a stop or something like that was really going to stop me from being thrown through the windshield. We were just talking about this at a family get together a month or so back. It is a night none of us will ever forget. To this day my Dad says he doesn't know why he moved over into the fastlane because there was no one in front of him and as a whole he's never been one to hog the fastlane.

Grateful11