weird question

Jennifer1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the foam inside the speaker is there as part of the design. Enhances the sonic properties of the speaker.

I am assuming that you found the foam looking behind the drivers. If the foam was in a port or horn, It wouldn't likely be part of the design.

What model speakers?

Dear new Jennifer,

There are no weird questions, just weird answers....

The foam or insulation inside you speaker is supposed to be there. Do not remove it. If you've pulled it out partly, just tuck in back inside and try to push it far enough that it doesn't block the hole you pulled it from. Simply put, it helps the speaker not sound 'boxy'. The hole is there to let more bass notes out.

Enjoying yer new setup??? We don't get many gals around these parts..

Michael

thank you, yes i enjoying them but they do sound very bright.I dont have a sub yet so I guess it will improve the low frequency ....

also can i ask you another question?

I don't know how loud i can listen to them without damaging them, do you know how I can determine that?

thanks!

----------------

On 12/29/2004 11:56:16 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

thank you, yes i enjoying them but they do sound very bright.I dont have a sub yet so I guess it will improve the low frequency ....

also can i ask you another question?

I don't know how loud i can listen to them without damaging them, do you know how I can determine that?

thanks!

----------------

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sound Pressure Level - volume - will usually dictate that you do not go that close to damage.

But if you start to hear distortion or frequencies being clipped of their full range you are at max.

Personally I do have a 120 watt Solid State McIntosh Amplifier that I have never pushed beyond a 10 or 11 o'clock position.

It all depends on signal input, vs Amplifier output. Klipsch Speakers need little power.

In your owner Manual, a range of power for in put should be listed.

There is your main guide plus knowing when and at what power level your Amplifier begins to distort.

dodger

Jennifer,

The owner's manual will give you guidelines on power absorption (handling) ratings, but there is rarely any way to determine how much power your amplifier is actually delivering. Full power is NOT at max on the volume knob. It is usualy at the 1 o'clock position, depending on how loud the recorded source is.

If you hear ANY distortion, of any kind, beginning with brittleness that is not there at low volume or fuzzy bass, that is as loud as you can go and you should turn it down a little from there.

You didn't mention what amplifier/receiver you have. You should not *need* a subwoofer. I had a friend at work that had a similar problem. His receiver was set to "Subwoofer On", so his RF-5s weren't geting any bass. Check your setup.

A lot of the A/V receivers have settings that can only be checked when hooked to a TV monitor of some sort. If you do have Subwoofer settings set to "ON" that could make for some lousy sound. You need to tell your reciever that you have only two channels(speakers) and no subwoofer. Could be all is set correctly but I know with A/V receivers, speaker settings can get messed up easily.

Jennifer:

The brightness you described might be the result of a couple of different things -- one of which is probably the fact that they are brand new. The circular piece of rubber-like material around the speaker cones(called the 'surround')often need a little time to 'loosen' and break in. I have a pair of Lowther full-range horn speakers that literally took between 500 and 1000 hours to break in before they lost their sharpness.

Klipsch speakers in general seem to lean toward the 'cool' side of the color spectrum, meaning that unlike some other loudspeakers, Klipsch tend to be detailed and very clear and open sounding (one of the reasons many of us like them so much!)Depending on what you were using before, you may also actually need a little time to get used to the new sound.

Also, some solid state (as opposed to tube-powered) amplifiers can make Klipsch speakers even brighter sounding. Perhaps you might just give them some time to loosen up a bit. If they still sound overly bright, you might begin to consider looking around for an amplifier that could help balance out the sound to the way you like it. Klipsch speakers are worth it, I think! There are some who have had very good results with certain SS amps, but there is a quickly growing number of very reasonably priced tube amplifiers, as well.

Good luck,

Erik

----------------

On 12/31/2004 5:37:28 AM Erik Mandaville wrote:

Jennifer:

The brightness you described might be the result of a couple of different things -- one of which is probably the fact that they are brand new. The circular piece of rubber-like material around the speaker cones(called the 'surround')often need a little time to 'loosen' and break in. I have a pair of Lowther full-range horn speakers that literally took between 500 and 1000 hours to break in before they lost their sharpness.

Klipsch speakers in general seem to lean toward the 'cool' side of the color spectrum, meaning that unlike some other loudspeakers, Klipsch tend to be detailed and very clear and open sounding (one of the reasons many of us like them so much!)Depending on what you were using before, you may also actually need a little time to get used to the new sound.

Also, some solid state (as opposed to tube-powered) amplifiers can make Klipsch speakers even brighter sounding. Perhaps you might just give them some time to loosen up a bit. If they still sound overly bright, you might begin to consider looking around for an amplifier that could help balance out the sound to the way you like it. Klipsch speakers are worth it, I think! There are some who have had very good results with certain SS amps, but there is a quickly growing number of very reasonably priced tube amplifiers, as well.

Good luck,

Erik

----------------

8.gif Good job scared anotherone off j/k

A more simple issue could be that she connected the speakers out of phase. I would make sure that all the cables are going from positive (red) to positive and negative to negative between the reciever and the speakers. Getting it switched around on one of the speakers will cause that speaker to move air in the opposite direction which causes a lot of cancellation of bass frequencies.

Erik M, JUST KIDDING!, but seriously, when we get a newbie, try to keep is short and simple.

Dr.Who, lets see how good you are at troubleshooting. Without tracing the markings on the wire or using a VOM to check continuity, do you know of an easy way for a beginner audiophile (our dear Jennifer) to check for phase? (please without any lengthy explanation of the definition of phase....

this is a test, this is only a test.

Michael