weird question

Jennifer1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one is answering?

If your speaker wire is lamp cord or similar:

a. One wire of the pair (not insulation) will be a different color, i.e., one may look like copper and one a silver color. In this case, use the copper for the ground side or black connector and the silver for the plus or red side of the connector on both ends.

Match the left channel and right channel this way.

b. The insulation on one side of the pair will have markings on it. Sometimes this means one side of the insulation is ribbed the full length of the wire. Sometimes there is printing on the one side. Use this to identify the wire on each end and, as above, match up your connections.

Is that what you mean?

wire2.jpg

post-7149-13819260061592_thumb.jpg

thank you so much for all your answers....and you didn't scare me off!! eheheh of course not..(I was sick and didn't checked the forum all week....) I like long and detailed answers and I understood everything, I think I know much more than the average girl...;)

I love my speakers, don't get me wrong, as you can see above, my primary question was how loud I can listen to them withoUt breaking them and not the brightness problem...;) but thanks I learned someting new...i will check my connections to double check....9.gif

I think he meant: To check speaker phase place the speakers in close proximity and facing one another. Switch the wires on One speaker. Whichever position gives the best bass is the proper phasing for those speakers and that amp. Mark the wires ( like to tie a Knot in the "hot" lead.)

That of "coarse" doesn't work with Khorns (or other large heavy speakers). For Khorns, put on a mono source and sit in the sweet spot. If the sound stage isn't centered but sounds like it is coming from two sources, reverse one set of wires. If the sound stage is now centered, mark the wires.

Never assume that the markings on the speakers/amp represent the absolute correct phasing. Often they do not.YMMV,etc.

Rick

Good! I didn't think I had written anything that was overly compex, and I thought sharing some extra information might be helpful. Sorry you weren't feeling well!

For checking proper phase, there is a simple battery test that can be used. A momentary connection is made while observing the movement of the woofer. I think in this case, simply checking that the positive side of the cable is connected to the positive side of the amplifier might be enough.

I have also seen situations where the INTERNAL wiring between crossover and drivers was done incorrectly and reversed -- so that when a positive voltage (supplied by a small battery -- as mentioned above) was applied to the positive binding post on the speaker cabinet, the woofer moved backward rather than forward, thus indicating incorrect phase. I don't think this is the case here, but it's very easy to check. If Jennifer has tone controls on the amplifier or preamp, she might have a quick look at those to see if they may be the reason why the speakers are a bit bright (which still may be because they new). If the amp has a Loudness switch, that could be used to reinforce the low-end response a little -- but only at lower volume levels.

Have fun!

Erik

edit: We keep forgetting that 'brightness' isn't the main question! As far as loudness goes, depending on the power rating of your amplifier, you will know when you have gone too far when you start hearing sudden distortion. This is sometimes called 'clipping,' where the amplifier runs out of dynamic headroom, and is no longer able to clearly amplify the loudest portions of the music. Music that at slightly lower volume levels sounded clear and clean, all of a sudden sounds distorted wragged. With speakers such as you have, it's generally lower powered amplifiers that can be damaging. As the amplifier begins to run into distortion, the tweeter can sometimes suddenly receive frequencies that are lower than it was designed to handle -- resulting in a blown tweeter. But, having said that, if the woofers on your speakers are smaller, they may simply not be able to handle the power that even an amplifier that isn't clipping is sending to them.

It is not a high powered amp, but it should definitely be enough to power those RF-15s. I've got an Onkyo amp driving my RF-35s with 70W/ch and although more power sounds a little stronger and cleaner, my speakers sound great. Klipsch are very efficient speakers so your HK amp will be fine.

I wouldn't say so. If your 55 WPC were doubled to over 110 WPC, then I would say you could hear a difference in dynamics when musical peaks are reached. But to an 80 watt increase from what you already have, then I doubt if you'd hear too much of an improvement.

Just my two cents worth...

----------------

On 1/2/2005 6:55:56 AM edwinr wrote:

You guys are shocking. As soon as we get a long haired voice on the forum...
2.gif

----------------

IMG_8955_.jpg

So what are you tryin' to say, edwinr? That my long haired voice isn't good enough on this forum anymore? Get outta here, kid...ya botherin' me!7.gif

Just kidding!9.gif

post-11084-13819260062302_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 1/2/2005 5:09:52 PM Jennifer1 wrote:

Do you think I would see a difference with a 80 watts per channel amp?

mine is currently 55 watts per channel

----------------

No.

In an ideal world, a doubling of amplifier power results in a 3dB increase in volume. Because our ears are wierd (for lack of a better term), it generally requires a 6 dB increase to sound twice as loud.

At 55 watts, each of your speakers are capable of about 113dB which is freaken loud. Take into account that you have two speakers and that you're in a closed room, and you can probably bust out volumes of 120dB. Listening to music for over 30 minutes at 110dB starts to result in permament hearing damage and volumes above 100dB are freaken loud. Rock concerts generally sit in the 105dB range (but that depends on where you go). Going up to 80 watts, each of your speakers would be capable of 115dB. Chances are, you'll be listening closer to 80-90dB anyway so the max power rating of your amplifier isn't really an issue at all.

----------------

On 1/2/2005 7:24:12 PM Marvel wrote:

That kind of picture will scare the kids!

----------------

Dammit Marvel, that picture even scares ME!6.gif

Couldn't help myself...was doing yardwork and went inside to take a break when my bro captured me coming out the front door as I was about to go finish outside.

Look like a crazed Grizzley Adams inbred redneck m@%$"F"er that wouldn't know the difference between a Cornwall and cornbread.14.gif

Looks like I scared off Jennifer for good, eh?8.gif

Jen;

Your amps power is just fine for a medium sized room at reasonable listening levels.

If you like to get really loud you can hurt your speakers more by overdriving the amps capabilities.

This is called "clipping".

When the amp clips it is not longer putting "music" in to the speaker.

Amps just are not supposed to be turned up all of the way.

Your questions are very good to foster a better understanding of your equipment.

Keep them coming!