RF-7 on Steroids? or viable alternative???

minn_male42

Just found this speaker doing some surfing. It is a pro speaker with pretty awesome specs configured just like an RF-7 with 15" woofers.

http://gemsound.com/products_speakers-pro_gsp30.html

You can get them online for $299 each. Take five of these puppies and you could have a high volume, high sensitivity, and possibly high quality surround horn system for about $1500 with each speaker having a 20 - 20k frequency response! (and yes I realize that they did not publish a +/- db figure on the frequency response curve)

Anyone heard these?

gsp30_large.jpg

gsp30_description.jpg

----------------

On 1/2/2005 10:05:11 PM minn_male42 wrote:

You can get them online for $299 each. Take five of these puppies and you could have a high volume, high sensitivity, and possibly high quality surround horn system for about $1500 with each speaker having a 20 - 20k frequency response!

----------------

I believe the part about the high volume and high sensitivity for $1500 online, but I'm a little skeptical about the high quality part.

My buddy is a DJ and has these speakers. I just helped him his fix the vibration inside. Very poor construction. We had to re-glue and screw everything back together. After 2 times using them this happened. When we had it open ( WOW ) was is cheaply made. I did not want to tell him. He asked me what I thought so I said the truth "for audio they are good".

I asked this question a while back comparing (pro audio to hi end home audio) the response was that the pro is made for slammin and not good for true listening. When you just look at the Pro audio from a price prospective they look great. I think in the end you will be disappointed in the sound.

Dylanl

Calling a $299 system with two 15" drivers, etc., professional is a bigggg stretch.

Real professional gear can sound very good in a musical setting, and is built better than that.

Russ,

What will surely kick is the JBL version of this, the SRX725. The h/f horn has a 4 inch driver on it. I am not sure what they list for but I think around $1500 each. They won't be fallin' apart after a couple of uses.

Marvel

Marvel, my friend does his little business out of his basement. So in all respects he is not a true professional other than the fact that he gets paid. The reason I posted about these was because he has them and they are not very good all the way around.

In addendum.

I used to own a pair of Peavey 112 monitors. They had the big old flared horn in the top - you know what was actually attached to the horn? A 4oz magnet HF driver. You know, the kind you'd find in a small boombox? This is supposed to be some kind of "professional grade" speaker?!

After using these things a number of times, the woofer in one of them cracked, and ball game's over...