Sonic Impact amp and Heresys

TBrennan

I hooked up my little SI tonight to my orphaned Heresys (with the NS-10 tissue tweeter mod) and after a cursory listen I gotta say the little bugger sounds pretty damned good. Most certainly high-fidelity; sound is clear and well defined with no nastiness going on; in other words it's amplifying competently. Volume is adequate, I only had it turned-up a quarter turn and it was loud enough for my current needs; easy listening in my dining room.

I think I'll get my Altec 605s back and use them in the living room with the SI; the 605s are a couple of db more efficient than the Heresys and it should work well.

I may get another SI and use it to bi-amp the old Altec "Hollywood" 604 I'm gonna use for a mono hi-fi in the dining room.

Anyone who figures they only need 5 watts or so would have fun checking out ths little $30 wonder amp. This whole TriPath-chipamp could be the end of hi-fi amplification as we know it. For those with open minds and ears anyway.2.gif

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,Tom, timely post. I just ordered one from Target a few days ago. They're backordered for what looks like 4-6 weeks, but what the heck, I'm not in a hurry.

I know many were impressed with Leo's Tripath assembly, and at $32 (shipping included), who can *****?

Question: What are you using for a AC adapter? Target didn't sell them. Is there a standard issue from Rat Shack or similar that would work? 8 AA's seems a little extreme for long-term listening.

Thanks.

Tom,

Thanks for the post. I'd like to try out the little rascal. Also was wondering about your setup. CD source? Preamp?

BTW, the NS-10 tissue tweeter mod is a new one on me. Is this a chain yanker for for real?

Chris,

I ran across this on Amazon through PartsExpress. Looks to be in stock. Has the A/C adapter, too.

Chris, A 12V wall wart with an adapter should do but I'd question the amount of ripple. A cap or two in the battery box should take care of it. At least that is my plan.

Dee, Sounds like ole Tom used the Kleenex attenuation mod in his Heresys.2.gif Some prefer the old sock treatment.6.gif

Rick

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002ZPHII/ref=pd_dpacc_3/102-2005834-2552146?v=glance&s=electronics

This is the link, to what I think, is the adapter. It shows up in one link to accessories, but not another. Not up to par for Amazon.

PartsExpress wants three dollars and change more than SI anyway. It does seem overpriced.

edit: well, now that I've gone over to the SI site, this one idoesn't look right.

the SI site mentions the adapter is: HP-12V15.... I wonder if that's HP as in HP?

The adaptor linked to the SI on Amazon is 13.5 VDC 1700mA ADAPTOR

----------------

On 1/4/2005 8:19:28 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Chris, A 12V wall wart with an adapter should do but I'd question the amount of ripple. A cap or two in the battery box should take care of it. At least that is my plan.

Dee, Sounds like ole Tom used the Kleenex attenuation mod in his Heresys.
2.gif
Some prefer the old sock treatment.
6.gif

Rick
----------------

Thanks Rick.

The sock method is Dean's preferred way to attenuate the K55V.

OK, this was a chain yanker after all. (I knew that)

9.gif

----------------

On 1/4/2005 8:19:28 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Rick

----------------

I seem to recall a forum with a bunch of tweaks on this unit. I'll see if I can find it.

Rick, what cap(s) were you planning for this, and how would you wire it?

I've got a pair of 220uF 'lytics, I will work out a resistor between them to deliver 12.0V. At first I plan to use a 12V power supply that I have to provide power to my marine radio at home that I no longer use.

12V lead acid gel cell burgular alarm batteries with a trickle charger would work fine too. For the cleanest sound, turn off the trickle charger when the amp is in use.

Eventually, if it sounds as good as everyone says, I'll buy or build a new case for it with a built in or seperate regulated power supply, Blue Velvet volume control, gold RCA's and binding posts. As a gas I may put a single exposed 12AX7 with just the heater voltage supplied. It would be my "one tube amp".2.gif

Rick

There is a fairly large thread going on about these amps over in the Class-D forum at DIYAudio. I'd provide a link, but I cannot currently access the site for some reason (says there's a problem with the database). Everyone over there is pleased with them and is modding them in multiple ways. For power, you might check out getting a mid-sized sealed lead acid battery.

Rick---Actually I think a Dyna 400 and LaScalas sounds pretty good, best I ever heard LSs sound. With a PAT-5 preamp and a Thorens record player with an ADC-XLM the sound was smooth, defined and with a VERY deep soundstage; depest soundstage I ever heard actually if'n deep soundstages trip yer trigger.

Mind though that when I owned that set-up I smoked LOTS of grass.

"This whole TriPath-chipamp could be the end of hi-fi amplification as we know it. For those with open minds and ears anyway."

It's interesting how some are trying to go all "DC" from reading various forums. Battery powered transports, DAC's, amplifiers.

I used to keep my car stereo in a apartment I lived in, because the stereo was worth more than the car.

Used a Marine battery and a trickle charger, 10 disc changer, 12" subs, two amps, mids and tweets, active xover, all that crap.

It did pretty well, but the 12 volt 4 ohm car gear seemed to have a small sense of scale in a 14' x 12' room. The subwoofer's did well when the active xover was dialed in, pissing everyone off.

We had a power outage for about 4 hours one day. Everyone was asking why my stereo was still blaring when the power was out.

I'm open, I bought a SI T-amp off ebay.

I like the SLA battery approach...