Sonic Impact amp and Heresys

TBrennan

In the opening post Brennan already qualified the amp as being for people who think that 5 watts is enough. In other words, if someone is that misguided to begin with . . .

Also, there are a lot of assumptions flying fast and furious here, that the modded amp is a killer amp.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we didn't have contrarians, the world would spin off its axis and wobble wildly off into space.

I looked up TriPath and they're really struggling:

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=conewsstory&refer=conews&tkr=TRPH:US&sid=aYNQ0JXu4VqE

Seems they have Krispy Kreme syndrome, or forgot how to spell "GAAP". Hope they stay in business, or sell the technology to real semiconductor manufacturer.

----------------

On 1/5/2005 3:14:28 PM paulparrot wrote:

Also, there are a lot of assumptions flying fast and furious here, that the modded amp is a killer amp.

----------------

Well, it looks heavy... and it's expensive.... doesn't that mean it will sound good?

9.gif

"$400 of mods on a $29 amp strikes me as silly."

The guy doesn't use the SI chipamp board, he has his own PCB board made.

You can buy the Tri-path eval board for 100 bucks.

(That may be what he's doing, and putting them in a case with a battery?)

Yeah, the Clari-T amp or whatever is overpriced, IMO.

I'm with TPG, a 30 dollar amp SI should be modded a cheap as one could get, with the availible parts on hand.

I wonder if the things like battery power and such even matter with a digital switching amp?

After all the output is created from turning a transistor full power on/off very very quickly so perhaps power supply noise isn't as much an issue as with a more traditional amp?

At that price I might pick one up to see what it is like. First up though I'm going to build one of the gainclone 'chip' amps to see what they are like.

Shawn

Some folks that I can recall that made Gainclones, usually went with a AKSA quickset amp? Hugh Dean's amplifiers. I think mostly for more power, but the AKSA amp is kinda neat.

I was thinking that today after reading the data on the 2024 TriPath chipamp. It's a HF switching amp with FET's in the chip. So by it's very nature it's a switcher, way out of audible bandwidth so they claim.

There was something about using measuring gear with lower bandwidth to get proper measurements?

(I didn't assimulate enough...)

The Teac that Coda linked to was a three channel amp with 30wpc - and less than $100.00.

What I don't understand is even when you take this technology all the way like PS Audio does -- and it still doesn't seem "to be all that". There's seven or eight of them on Audiogon right now -- one of the few amps that seems to be dumped out there as fast as they're bought.

"What I don't understand is even when you take this technology all the way like PS Audio does -- and it still doesn't seem "to be all that". There's seven or eight of them on Audiogon right now -- one of the few amps that seems to be dumped out there as fast as they're bought."

I figured the SI amp would be good fun factor for 30 bucks, and I gather that's what everyone else is thinking.

That's maybe three good drinks in a Lounge?

Common sense is to mod with budget in mind, like TPG said, 10 bucks worth of parts, what's piled up in the junk bins....etc...

Hey if it sucks, I'll fill it full of bottlerockets and film it on the digi-cam, or perhap's maybe a sparkler bomb for maximum Sonic Impact!

No, I don't think it will suck. In fact, if you don't turn it up much it's probably pretty smooth. I keep thinking about them for triamping. You, know -- something with some balls for the bottom, and then a handful of these for the squawkers and tweeters. Ya see, with something like a Beringer and a bunch of these you can experiment on the cheap. It's pretty tempting.