SACD vs. DVD-A

Rudy81

I just purchased my first DVD-A and am rather disappointed with the quality vs. an SACD. Perhaps it is the mixing of the recording, but Santana's Shaman and Supernatural in DVD-A are disappointing. The stereo CD is much better and the DVD-Video is superb soundwise.

I expected DVD-A to be similar in quality to the SACD's I have, but have come away less than impressed.

Anyone have a similar experience?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the mix a lot. Silverline for one is a brand that is natorious for producing very poor quality DVD-a's but with regards to Shamon and Supernatural I like them both.

So, take that for what it's worth.

Some other DVD-A's I like are Metalica's Black album and Linkin Park's Reanimator.

If you like classic Chicago both Chicago's DVD-A's are nice as are both the Queen Mixes.

More modern? Try Porcupine Tree's In Absentia...very well made and high quality.

Just a few other options for ya!

My main problem with these two was the mix. It doesn't sound natural. For a while, I thought my center channel La Scala had problems. I put in several SACD's and realized the problem was in the mix of those two DVD-a's. I put in the same albums in CD format and they sound great, image is perfect and I guess that was the sound for those albums I was used to.

I found the DVD-A's not at all like their concerts, I have been to about 6 and the Cd's are more lifelike.

The DVD-video is very good however.

My ranking of the DVD-A's I own:

Linkin Park: Reanimator

Santanna: Shamon

Santanna: Supernatural

Porcupine Tree: In Absentia

Eric Clapton/BB King: Riding with the King

Chicago: Chicago II

Metalica: Metalica

Beach Boys: Pet Sounds

Chicago: ChicagoV

Queen: A Night at the Opera

Queen: The Game

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature

Aaron Nevile: Devotion

Fleetwood Mac: Rumors

Yes: Fragile

Foreigner: 4

Foreigner: Foreigner

David Crosby/Grahm: Another Stoney Evening

Thats all I feel like listing, but I will say there isnt one on this list I don't like the mix on with exception of Pet Sounds does have some mixing issues, but most like it a lot.

Initially I was drawn more to the DVD-A because of the video content, but from a user friendly stand point I have grown to appreciate the Hybrid SACD more.

I have never been able to do a A-B comparison of the same music comparing DVD-A v/s SACD.

I spent a few hours critically listening to my new DVD-A's and find the mix to be really poor...at least for my taste. "Shaman" has virtually no center channel information. I started to wonder if my Denon 2910 or the HALO C2 were having problems. I put in the Supernatural DVD-video and the Eagles Hell Freezes Over to check. Those sound just phenomenal in my HT. Particularly the Eagles release.

I also put in some SACD's to check the system reponse to other 5.1 source material.

Fortunately all is well with the hardware. The tracks on the Supernatural DVD-A and the video sound very different. The Video has a more realistic, you're in the audiance, sound to it.

I will have to find some good surce material for the DVD-A before I give up on that format.

My DVD is the Denon 2910. I am using the analog outputs direct to the HALO C2. I do not use the Denon bass management or sound processing. I recently stated using the Denon, so perhaps some setting is not correct. However, it should be the same as the an SACD, and they sound great.

I wonder what could be the issue????

I'm not at home right now, so I can't check. But it just occurred to me that I may be using the wrong input to my processor for the DVD-A. I have been using the 5.1 analog inputs just like I do with SACD. Perhaps I should be using the digital input?

Can you guys shed some light on this?

I have been listening to DVD Audio for about 2 years now.I love the sound reproduction better then SACD's overall. Don't get me wrong as I have heard some bad DVD A's as well.There are some very good sounding SACD's too. But I think at least to my ears that DVD A is better sounding then the SACD's.

I can only suspect what others have said but sounds like you are running from the digital out. you need to make sure you are selecting ext-in using the 6 analog cables to enjoy DVD A or SACD. Also make sure you select the surround type in the menu of the DVD A. some machines will not default to the DVD A track thus what you may be hearing is DD. If this is the case and you are going through the analog outputs then you are using the DD processor thats built into your DVD player and that could be why your not happy with the sound. DVD A unlike SACD's give you the options for different mixes: DD 5.1 - DTS 5.1(or 6.1) and 5.1 or 2.0 MLP DVD Audio.

just my humble 2 cents

scooter

im with scooter, i too have been listening to both formats for a couple of years, and i couldnt be happier with both, my guess is the 2910 is having processing issues, or maybe you have not done all your settingsmy 2900 has different settings for different formats since it has different optical readers, you might go back to your manual and check to see if all your setting have been adjusted or even the receiver might not be progrmmed correctly, while playing dvd-a the system has to know it is a dvd-a or it plays it incorrectly, i know this is true of my b&K

----------------

On 1/7/2005 8:43:24 PM Rudy81 wrote:

I do not use the Denon bass management or sound processing.

----------------

what do you mean by this, exactly? is the player set up as having a sub? do you bass manage your processors external inputs at all?

are you sending a 5.0 signal instead of a 5.1 signal from the player? many (if not all) players will NOT reroute the LFE channel the way that pre/pro/receivers will; instead they drop it altogether when configured with no sub. perhaps your sacd mixes are 5.0 but your dvda is 5.1.

I don't know about the 2910, but on my 3910 you have to go into the etc. part of the setup menu and set player mode to audio.

If it's set on video your playing the digital setup.

To my ears, of the SACDs and DVD Audio discs I own I think DVD Audio sounds better.

Put me in the dvd-a camp,I've listened to both formats for a few years and dvd-a is still my prefered format.SACD has never really impressed me other than Pink Floyd,most sound only slightly better than remastered cd.

I'm also kinda confused because I hear people claim they need to turn on the tv for dvd-a,I never have on any of my appx 50 disc.

----------------

On 1/8/2005 5:34:48 PM Fish wrote:

Put me in the dvd-a camp,I've listened to both formats for a few years and dvd-a is still my prefered format.SACD has never really impressed me other than Pink Floyd,most sound only slightly better than remastered cd.

I'm also kinda confused because I hear people claim they need to turn on the tv for dvd-a,I never have on any of my appx 50 disc.

----------------

I never turn the tv on to listen to dvd-a either. In fact I use pure direct to shut down all video including the front display panel when I listen.

It depends on the DVD-A in question. Not sure if it's In Absentia or one of my others but the menue if you just hit play is set on 2 channel.

Thats probably why some feel the need to turn on the TV...shoot I do it as well.