1958 Shorthorn

garymd

Ad in local paper for a 1958 Shorthorn in Mahogony. I really don't need it but I'm going to see it in the morning anyway before my wife gets up. I may be able to beg a friend to store it for me if need be. Any interest? What would be a good price if in good condition? How about great condition?

Thanks in advance.

If you can steal them I'm game for a buy. If you want to keep I can "store" them till you have them magically appear in the bedroom, bathroom whatever.

I'm thinking Greg just bought these for $850, all of a sudden there is a lot of info here on these little guys which you are probably already aware of.

Keep her up late, Gary.2.gif

Hey, MY wife was born in 1958, and her birthday is the 26th! She'd probably get a huge kick out of that Shorthorn, eh?

Actually, she'd probably kick me in the short horn...

----------------

On 1/7/2005 8:34:57 PM garymd wrote:

Thinking eventually for use as the center between my khorns? Bad idea? Good idea? False corners of course. I'd probably want to stain it dark to match my dark mahogany khorns.

----------------

Gary, I think most of their attractiveness is in the collectibility of these nice old speakers. I believed they "evolved" into the Cornwall with the split back, and the sonic abilities improved with that evolution.

If you're looking to put together a real "vintage" system, I'd say go for it. If you're looking for a high performance Heritage system for high expectations, I'd go with a vertical Cornwall or Belle center (or another Klipschorn with false walls).

Personally, I'd never feel bad about picking up one or more of these collectibles. Kind of like collecting old cars. They're historic. What else could we say?

Tell me about it with these old pieces. I've had a '56 University 3-way horn in the garage for almost 3 years now. I use it in the summer outside, but it won't fit through the back door to go down cellar, and if it goes through the front door, it would be limited to the living or dining rooms before it got to another doorway it wouldn't fit through. I need to add on to this place. Or move.

Too bad, really. It'd make a great speak for a bar or game room with funky old mono seperates.

----------------

On 1/7/2005 8:43:12 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Gary, you've got mail at work. Can you see it from home?

----------------

No Ben. Use GDPowers_7@hotmail.com evenings and weekends.

I may pass on this. The ad led me to believe it was a single khorn until I called. I think I can get it fairly cheap but if it doesn't voice well with the khorn, I really don't want or need it and the wife wouldn't be happy to have a speaker that large as a conversation piece for folks that happen to drop by to see my basement storage area which already houses a few conversation pieces.

If anyone here is interested, I'll see what I can do. I think I'll go check it out anyway just because I've never seen one in person.

Thanks for the replies and to Thebes for the storage offer.2.gif

----------------

On 1/7/2005 9:07:56 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 1/7/2005 8:43:12 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Gary, you've got mail at work. Can you see it from home?

----------------

No Ben. Use GDPowers----------------

Done. Check it out.

I'm going in the morning. More out of curiosity then anything else. If you don't hear from me after tonight, it may mean I brought it home and will soon be asking Larry to rent me his spare bedroom.6.gif Actually, it may match his '62 mohogany khorns perfectly! Then again, his khorns replaced a pair of shorthorns if I remember correctly so he probably would pass on that. I guess he could use it as a cathouse.9.gif j/k Larry2.gif

----------------

he could use it as a cathouse.
9.gif

----------------

Wishful thinking?... Take a flashlight if you want to try to ID the drivers thru the narrow slot in the back. The SAHF is gray with a rounded hinie, not sure a label is visible from the back.

Larry

Shorthorns

Gary, there's some good pictures of Shorthorn components at the link above. Although mine have the K-55 midranges. You may find that the 1958 Shorthorn has the SA-HF drivers.

I think Khorn58 is looking for a woofer for one of his speakers, I don't know, but that Shorthorn may have the right one.

Greg