wide dispersion vs. normal? speaker

travisc

----------------

On 1/15/2005 12:27:50 AM TBrennan wrote:

If you guys wanna reproduce or better (verb) theatre sound then you need theatre type speakers, period. If you haven't used big Heritages or better yet Altec VOTs you're not worth talking to about good sound.

----------------

You'll be terribly missed.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You guys are missing the point with what TBrennan has to say, in fact he is not really a huge Heritage fan either as a matter of fact, I think he has some Heresies though. He prefers Altec's speakers if I am not mistaken but that is besides the point.

What he is saying is that to recreate a true theater like experience at home you need to use speakers of that caliber, and little wimpy towers with 6.5" woofers in them just is not going to get the job done sorry to say.

Don't come out with the lame excuse of having wife and kids, because I have a wife and kids and I made it happen and I am temporarily in an apartment until I find a house that will meet our needs. If you want it to sound real you need to GET REAL people!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/17/2005 1:48:02 PM Frzninvt wrote:

You guys are missing the point with what TBrennan has to say, in fact he is not really a huge Heritage fan either as a matter of fact, I think he has some Heresies though. He prefers Altec's speakers if I am not mistaken but that is besides the point.

What he is saying is that to recreate a true theater like experience at home you need to use speakers of that caliber, and little wimpy towers with 6.5" woofers in them just is not going to get the job done sorry to say.

Don't come out with the lame excuse of having wife and kids, because I have a wife and kids and I made it happen and I am temporarily in an apartment until I find a house that will meet our needs. If you want it to sound real you need to GET REAL people!

----------------

the part about the wife and kids was more of a joke than being serious i realize that there are may people here that have done it or doing it

I just got a great deal on a Yamaha 5740 receiver, they threw in a set of their 6.1 speakers w/sub, all for the the price of the receiver. So, I'm researching on which Klipsch's I want and can afford. so I hooked up the system with the yamaha speakers (all normal direct speakers) to my xbox and started to play Mechassault2. A helicopter's twirling sound was coming out the front speakers because that's were it was on the screen in front of me. Now when I shot it down it flew straight over head of me and the sound then was coming from the back speaker which was the twirling and then the explosion. Now that was the only thing going on at the time so that was the only sound out of any of the speakers. As I love to play games, I've noticed the same thing with racing games, as a car passes by me on the right side I will hear it's engine on the right rear speaker and get louder to the right front speaker as it goes by. same thing with the different views of racing games. If I'm looking down on the car I hear it's engine from the front three speakers, but If I'm in the car and it's a rear engine car I hear the engine sounds from the back speakers with hardly anything comeing from the fronts.

I have all the speakers pointed at the listening position. would wdst speakers take away the effects I get when playing games or watching movies?? Should I look at Klipsch bookshelf speaker for rears since i've grown to like these effects. It helps in stealth games too you can hear people to your sides of behind you.

Guest Anonymous

buying bookshelf speakers can be cheaper than buying the dipole surrounds, but they will be a lot more fine tuned to your listening position rather than creating a "wall" of sound, but having book shelf speakers imo are a little more universal, if you upgrade speakers or what not at least you have a pair of bookshelf speakers for music......

so if I can get say 4 sb-1's for a little over two hundred. Then I can find a large and small klipsch center for the front and rear, I would have a pretty good system for not much. I've never owned any klipsch's, but after searching around I've pretty much maid my mind that the only speakers I want now our klipsch's. Then As I upgrade to the nicer series I still have use for the older one's. sounds like a good plan what do you think?

Guest Anonymous

yeah i would go for the sb-2's if your budget can with hold that maybe do a pair of sb3 in the front and 1's in the rear or what not i would try ad ge the best possible front speakes that you can for the money because in the end its mostly the speakers that will carry the weight of speakers

My local theater sounds phenominal. I raced back and heard my setup with both setups awhile back, and reflect surrounds are the best to accomplish this goal. Yes I see most studios using monopoles for their mixing rooms now, but I am not trying to get the mixing room sound at the moment. I want the theater sound, and every effect sounds much better with a reflected sound in my living room for that particular sound. I like monopole surrounds I had used them for an easy decade or more. Many kinds and many places I put them so I am no newbie to monopoles. None came as close to the diffused sound even for concerts. The monopoles were somewhat different than what it would of been in a concert outside or inside. But there great also I like them to it's just a different sound. I prefer the theater sound more lately and concert sounds. I would say mono if properlly setup is more 3d and your in the screen if this makes sense. Then I would say that diffused is more spacious and has a larger scale, and you feel like your watching the screen and things are happening around you but in a larger scale. They both have incredible benefits. I like the ambient surround sound of the monopole. You can really hear every cricket and rain drop. A great example of a properlly setup monopole setup is to watch Joes Apartment. The cockroaches are insane in this surround format. I really dig that setup for that type of movie. But I like the scale of diffused surrounds much better right now.