Thorens 124 Any Good ?

JSJ

Hi!

I have a friend in the television business that has an old Thorens 124 still in the box. It has no tone arm. I need a new turntable and he will sell it to me for $250. I have a Rega 600 arm from my dead Rega 25. Would that work OK? Another friend of mine says that the Thorens is only good for icing cakes, is an antique, and that I should get another modern turntable. He has a VPI TNT which is very nice but costs too much for me. He says I should get a VPI Aries or Scoutmaster. I remember Thorens was popular years ago, but is he right? My television friend says that I would have to get the armboard drilled. Is that a lot of trouble? What should I do? Thank you!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say something wrong? Is my fly unzipped? I like the looks of the old Thorens, I just want to know if it is practical, will it hold up or need a lot of service to get it going? I am not a turn table expert. Any advice welcome. Thanks again.

Is this Thorens a belt drive or mechanical? How do they sound? Please do not hesitate to advise/inform, this deal could save me a lot of money since I already have an arm, but I can't use something if it's not going to be reliable. Thank you again! I will read your link.

Thanks boomac. I just realized, won't I need a case or some sort of base to mount this turntable on? This sounds like a project I'm not sure I'm up to. Do you know where I can get a base? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks!

----------------

On 1/9/2005 1:37:13 AM JSJ wrote:

I have a friend in the television business that has an old Thorens 124 still in the box. It has no tone arm. I need a new turntable and he will sell it to me for $250. I have a Rega 600 arm from my dead Rega 25. Would that work OK? Another friend of mine says that the Thorens is only good for icing cakes, is an antique, and that I should get another modern turntable. He has a VPI TNT which is very nice but costs too much for me. He says I should get a VPI Aries or Scoutmaster. I remember Thorens was popular years ago, but is he right? My television friend says that I would have to get the armboard drilled. Is that a lot of trouble? What should I do? Thank you!

----------------

Yes, you could use a Thorens for icing cakes 1.gif, but there are less expensive options. Your friend is right, the Thorens is an antique. The turntables have an almost cultlike following, so one guy is going to say they are the ultimate, and another is going to shake his head in disbelief.

The Thorens has a reputation for being ridiculously fussy. Then you also have the problem of not knowing the mechanical condition of the innards. And then if you're talking about modifying it, you're inviting all sorts of extra problems.

Kudret,

Did you check out the movie on that page, if you scroll down, for the Thorens 224 record changer? That is cool, and would be just the ticket for those who don't want to get up, or can't easily manage getting up, after every side is over. I wonder just how rare they are?

hey the thorens is a very highly sought after piece of equipment, they dont sell on ebay for around 800 to 1000 for no reason it is a very nice turntable although old, it does require a plinth be bought or made, not a big project though, also it does require a good technical set up, but well worth the money you are talking about hell, you could buy and resell and probably triple or more your money, then buy a higher more modern unit. if you dont get it send me an email i would send payment to him immediately for it. point is you cant loose. i dont know anything about your tone arm sorry good luck Joe

The Thorens is a unique combonation of both belt-drive and rim-drive. The motor is isolated from the drive wheel by the belt. Makes for a much quieter table than the fine Garrard 301 and 401 rim-drive table of the same era.

I have been using the TD-124 for about 13-14 years. When combined with the SME 3012 and Ortofon SPU, this is the best sounding table I have ever owned.

It does NOT have a reputation for being "fussy" once it has been cleaned and all the hard old rubber replaced. And it needs to be set up properly--all that means is fabricating an adequate plinth and making sure you isolate the table (mine sits on both a sand-box and air bladder). The Rega arm will work, but the SME. Ortofon or Fidelity Research arms are much better choices.

Buy the table! If you don't want to use it, just pass on your good forture to someone here or make a nice $500 profit on ebay.

What's wrong with the P25?

http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/spp6_pics/Thorens_Gallery/Alan%20Songer/AS_TD124.jpg

----------------

On 1/9/2005 2:32:54 AM boomac wrote:

You're up late Allan. Hey, I'm listening to "Smithville" right now. First chance I've had. So far so good. Is a 124 the model I was lookin' at a few weeks ago?
----------------

He's up late, what about you Scott? 2.gif 4:32AM?

Thorens TD124 without a nice tonearm such as SME 3009 (earlier versions) or SME 3012 and a nice plinth will not sell that high. Here is the one I was seriously considering, but I decided not to bid at the last minute: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48649&item=5736467366

If you wouldn't mind picking it up and offering to a forum member at a reasonable price, I am interested.

Kudret

Some of you guys just don't sleep???

The 124 is a great table if dialed in properly. I have a cheap Thorens TD165 that sounds great and it's nowhere near the quality of the 124. If you want plug n' play, get something else but please pass this on to another forum member who likes to fiddle with these old things.4.gif

----------------

On 1/9/2005 11:04:34 AM Allan Songer wrote:

It does NOT have a reputation for being "fussy" once it has been cleaned and all the hard old rubber replaced. And it needs to be set up properly--all that means is fabricating an adequate plinth and making sure you isolate the table (mine sits on both a sand-box and air bladder).

----------------

LOL! Not fussy at all, provided it is immaculately cleaned, mechanically rebuilt, the rubber is replaced, it is "dialed in properly," and you have two levels of aftermarket isolation (since it picks up the faintest of footsteps). Even with the unit you were offered in the box (you don't mean new in the box?!!!), the rubber is probably bad, and I don't know about mechanically, whether any of that seizes up after decades of no use.

Guy mentioned that the TD-125 is quieter, which leads me to believe that there can be noise issues with the TD-124.

But of course if you can take care of those issues, it's a great record player.

Thanks for all the help! It's starting to sound like this table is not for me. I don't have much money or mechanical ability, that is why I bought the Rega. The Rega was damaged in a power surge and my homeowners would not cover it. I am disabled so I can't do much with ebaying and such. My friend got this table when he worked for Roy H. Park's Broadcasting but it was never used. He ran a little CBS affiliate and they had an FM station. I don't know if he would sell it or if his offer was just a favor to me but I will ask. Since I already have an arm maybe a used Rega would be better but they all already have arms don't they? Fooling around with rubber parts and constant lubing and adjusting scares me! I just want to play records and not have to worry about getting parts and such. I will check on the table and see what he wants to do if I don't take it. I just don't know what to do right now. Thank you all for your very nice help!

JSJ,

I think I would investgigate getting the REGA reparied. If it was knocked out by a power surge worst case would be motor and PSU blown. I am sure you can get a replacement below the cost of that Thorens.

Course - that is assuming you arent desperate to get a new table simply for the joy of buying a new table. If that is the case then I would recommend:

1. Another Rega

2. Music Hall.

3. Project.

Only the Rega will take you arm - but on the other hand this is just about the most popular arm out there - selling it should not be a problem.