Thorens 124 Any Good ?

JSJ

I think the Rega probably is better. I just don't know. The old Thorens does look nice but I have no way of knowing how it will sound unless I commit a lot of time and money.

I have private message 2 at the top of this page. What does that mean? Thank you all again.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this table is indeed NOS in the box it will see for close to $1000 even without a tonearm on ebay.

You can take these apart, clean and lube everything and replace all the rubber in about 4-6 hours. You won't have to do it again for about 25 years.

If anyone here gets the table and wants some help getting it going, just drop me a line.

----------------

On 1/9/2005 6:09:55 PM Allan Songer wrote:

You can take these apart, clean and lube everything and replace all the rubber in about 4-6 hours. You won't have to do it again for about 25 years.

----------------

Who has that kind of extra time?

I have plenty of time but am just not able. I think from what you guys have told me that this turn table is too unreliable for me. Nobody has said anything about the way it sounds or why my Rega arm won't work. I thought Rega tone arms were some of the best so why won't it work on this turn table? I just don't have the get up and go to mess around with ebaying. It would not be right to profit from a friend's kindness. This will probably be my last turn table so I need one for music, not a hobby type collector's piece. What about a direct drive turn table?

Are they any good? Will my arm work on one of those? Do direct drives sound better than the Thorens? Thanks again for all your kind help.

----------------

On 1/9/2005 8:06:13 PM JSJ wrote:

I have plenty of time but am just not able. I think from what you guys have told me that this turn table is too unreliable for me. Nobody has said anything about the way it sounds or why my Rega arm won't work. I thought Rega tone arms were some of the best so why won't it work on this turn table? I just don't have the get up and go to mess around with ebaying. It would not be right to profit from a friend's kindness. This will probably be my last turn table so I need one for music, not a hobby type collector's piece. What about a direct drive turn table?

Are they any good? Will my arm work on one of those? Do direct drives sound better than the Thorens? Thanks again for all your kind help.
----------------

Your rega arm would sound fine with the Thorens. But you already said you don't want to mess around with it so why do you care? Besides setting up the turntable itself, you'd have to cut a special armboard just for the Rega 600 and you'd have to come up with a plinth the hold the whole thing. No easy taks for someone who doesn't want to mess around.

You shouldljust fix the Rega 25. That's a heck of a good turntable. You already know how the arm fits. There isn't that much to a Rega 25. For it to be "dead", it has what... a motor, a starter capacitor, an on/off switch? Can't be much else. Should be an easy fix. Aww well I'm repeating others now. Good luck, keep us informed on the status of the 124

----------------

On 1/9/2005 8:46:08 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Fix the P25. This is your cheapest and best option.

----------------

I agree. Otherwise, it's a dead piece of equipment hanging around. If it's too expensive, look for a used one (save the dead one for parts? I dunno).

JSJ,

I think you are heading in the right direction by letting the "antique" turntable go. As others have pointed out, it has the *potential* of being worth multiple times what your friend was willing to sell it to you for, depending on just how new it is, or if it is new, but it's good of you not to take advantage of him by accepting it at a bargain price and then profiting from his generosity by turning around and reselling it.

When even the most vociferous proponent here of the TD-124 tells you to go with the Rega, it's pretty telling. Putting aside the bragging rights of having a collector's piece, and analyzing the situation solely by sonics, your Rega and many other modern turntables will stomp all over the old model Thorens. It's not all that different to having an antique car, really. A fifty year old car will not be as good as a new model, but the owner of the old car may get more enjoyment out of it, even with its primitive technology, for other reasons, maybe nostalgia, maybe the lines appeal to him, could be any number of things.

If you read about the advancement of the Thorens models, you will find some substantial improvements through the years. Thorens is still selling turntables, their best ones for a few thousand bucks, and they look a lot like other modern turntables. If the Thorens engineers really thought the 124 was the ultimate, they would simply have refined it, not dumped it entirely from the line. They don't make any money on the used ones selling on eBay.

Direct drive is out of favor with most vinylheads nowadays, but that may be more conceptual than performance related.

By the way, no need to apologize for asking questions.

Fini and others thank you for your suggestions. I am sorry to have been a problem but ever since I lost my feet and most of my eye sight nothing is easy for me physically or mentally. My wife has to do most of everything and I feel like an idiot some times. Thank you

----------------

On 1/9/2005 10:10:31 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Does anyone else smell a sockpuppet?

----------------

Paranoia, Allan? As I recall, just a week or two ago you declared I was Pauln.

Klipschorns haven't been improved over their five decades of production, but turntables certainly have. That's the difference.

Don't tell Dean.

These old Klispch speakers are pretty decent for antiques with their with highly colored and "unique" sound. Some of us like them alot--I know I do. Same goes for old Pilot, Scott, Eico or Stromberg-Carlson tube amps--they sound good to some of us yet others can't stand them. There has been more than a couple of leaps forward since the days of the Klipschorn, Thorens TD-124, the Ortofon SPU and the Pilot amp.

Or has there?