Thorens 124 Any Good ?

JSJ

I am not a technical person and could consider myself a complete idiot in DIY or performing major tweaks. I think I understand the concepts behind audio, but nonetheless I prefer that others do the repair and tweaks for me.

I have never been happier with my system until I started using vintage turntables. Many speak of the magic between SET/Horns/Vintage tables. And my system has evolved to that. I feel that there is more music and character. I agree with Allan Songer that especially with a 3012 and SPU, a thorens 124 is very hard to beat.

When I got my 124 it seemed a bit "weathered". I live in the Philippines and that means that even if you keep it in a closed container in an attic, corrosion does find its way.

A friend of mine restored it for me. He cleaned and lubed the motors/bearings. I went to ebay and ordered some new mushrooms etc.. I went to a local woodworking shop, had a new plinth and armboard made as well.

Everyone had so much fun in the process. And hearing it was even much more enjoyable. I have been using this setup for close to a year now. I do not think it requires more maintenance than my RPM9. In my system the 124 produced more music, more emotion, and was a much more real experience.

The more modern RPM9 to me was "high-end", which was not to my liking. Perhaps there is smarter engineering in today's tables. But that does not necessarily mean better musical retrieval for everyone. I know of others who have disposed of their Pink Triangles, VPI-TNTs for TD124s and the like .

If you can find someone in your area to help you have fun with setting it up,go for it- it is a great table. Others have used 124s with a Rega to good effect as well. If I were you, I would get the P25 fixed and purchase the 124 as a project. Am sure you can let go of the 124 at a profit or use the P25 to re-imburse the restoration.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/10/2005 1:13:25 PM paulparrot wrote:

JSJ,

I know you've already decided against it, but I forgot to mention that the TD-124 sometimes has grounding/hum issues and the platter is a really bizarre contraption.

----------------

"Hum" is only a problem if one of two things are true:

1. The user doesn't understad what "ground" is.

2. The user is using a totaly inappropriate moving coil cartridge with the appropriate type of tonearm.

I have never had a single grounding or hum issue with the table when using both SME and Ortofon arms with both Ortofon SPU and Decca London cartridges.

In other words, like all human endeavors, it really pays to get an education from those who have the knowledge you need before proceeding with any new project or venture.

The platter consists of a massive 15 lb. inner platter with an lighweight aluminum outer platter. The only thing "bizarre" about it it the braking device, a feature that would be useful only in a radio-station environment. I have never used this feature in all the years I have owned my TD-124. In fact, it's best to sandwhich a thin sorbothane sheet between the two platters which makes the "brake" non-functional.

But, I agree that setting up a "new" TD-124 that has been sitting for 40 years seems to be far beyond the capabilities of many--and that's OK. If the $250 price can be extended by the owner to someone on this board I am sure there will be plenty of interested parties.

I run a ground from the table chassis to the grouding strap on my PS Audio P300. I also run a ground wire from the tonearm to the ground on my preamp. This is in addition to the ground wire on the tonearm cable to the preamp. Simple and effective--no "hum" issues ever.

And I am SO glad you are happy with my platter modifications! Now I can sleep tonight!

And no, the platter never slipped before I did the sorbothane modification.

Whew! THREE grounds? Somewhat unorthodox. Do you think this is typical of a TD-124 or is it just a matter of the combination of your other equipment?

I sincerely want you to have the most musically involving record player you can find. Your tweaking of the Thorens is interesting.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 1:47:41 PM paulparrot wrote:

Whew! THREE grounds? Somewhat unorthodox. Do you think this is typical of a TD-124 or is it just a matter of the combination of your other equipment?

----------------

I don't know. I have never set up a TD-124 with any other equipment. I am assuming this grounding system would work in any similar environment, but I have no experience that would confirm this assumption.

Running two additional ground wires takes about 30 minutes on initial set up. I know you don't have that much extra time, but most of us do!

Even with my "brand new" Basis, there are 2 grounds. Tonearm and chasis. Not a big deal.

My Thorens 165 hums if you try to upgrade the cables. Only the original cheapo cables seem to keep the table quiet. Not sure why. Maybe additional grounding was needed but we couldn't figure out how.

Wolfram, mine is too simple to really answer your question: my mid-1990s Basis has a ground wire attached to the bottom of the bearing housing. However, I've never had a hum problem even with lower-level (0.6 mv) MC carts, and, moreover, it made no difference whatsoever to attach it to the preamp. So, it's unattached and coiled up under the TT. I figure I have to use the tonearm ground wire, though, so that is attached to the preamp.

Larry

----------------

On 1/10/2005 4:07:52 PM LarryC wrote:

Wolfram, mine is too simple to really answer your question: my mid-1990s Basis has a ground wire attached to the bottom of the bearing housing. However, I've never had a hum problem even with lower-level (0.6 mv) MC carts, and, moreover, it made no difference whatsoever to attach it to the preamp. So, it's unattached and coiled up under the TT. I figure I have to use the tonearm ground wire, though, so that is attached to the preamp.

Larry

----------------

Same here. I connected my two ground wires together and grounded them to my preamp. No problems whatsoever.