Napoleon Dynamte

gcoker

I saw this four times at the theater before they even rereleased it with the "wedding scene" at the end. This is one of the funniest movies I've EVER seen but be warned. Some of you may not "get" the quirky humor especially if you didn't grow up or go to school in the 80s.

I can see how some would find this movie funny. My son INSISTED we rent it while he was home for Christmas break.

I thought it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. You have to be under 30 and stoned out of your mind to enjoy this one.14.gif YMMV, JMHO, LYAHPIYP and all that jazz.9.gif

I'm 24 and I understood all the humor, terminology, and inside-jokes in this film (after all, the writer/director is 24 too), but I agree with Gary. This is one certified POS movie. Not one of the worst I've ever seen, but it's pretty damn bad. One E! Entertainment critic put it best:

"This is more like a comedy sketch that gets dragged way too long."

I understand the genre and what it's trying to accomplish, but can we say acting with a capital A? Especially the blond jock. He was painfully bad. And what's up with the directing of each character? The best friend, Pedro, is the most 1-dimensional (and in ways, racially insulting) character ever.

I give this a C-. It's not a D because I give it a point for originality.

A very un-Hollywood type movie. Very little actually happens, but the characters are all so quirky, its oddly interesting. The whole cast is detached, so its hard to make a connection to any of them. The humor is pedestrian. But, the day after I saw it, I just remembered how detached I was in high school and how each kid in the movie was struggling to make it through the day, like I did. Not a great movie, but its so different I'd recommend it. You identify with it--

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I watched about half of this movie the other night...got sleepy, but plan to finish. I found it to be almost hypnotic...in that I found myself sitting there fascinated, not blinking and with my mouth hanging open, trying to figure out what the heck is this movie trying to say.... But then the next day, talking about it with some friends at work, I caught myself laughing hysterically at scenes that got zero reaction from me as I actually watched it.

Odd.

----------------

On 1/27/2005 3:21:09 PM Amy Unger wrote:

I watched about half of this movie the other night...got sleepy, but plan to finish. I found it to be almost hypnotic...in that I found myself sitting there fascinated, not blinking and with my mouth hanging open, trying to figure out what the heck is this movie trying to say.... But then the next day, talking about it with some friends at work, I caught myself laughing hysterically at scenes that got zero reaction from me as I actually watched it.

Odd.
----------------

It's soooo stupid that ya gotta laugh when you think or talk about it.

Tom

----------------

Odd.

----------------

That's exactly what happen to me. The next day at work I found myself

repeating lines and laughing to myself and co-workers who have seen it.

When I was watching it I was dumbfounded.

----------------

Odd.

----------------

Amy,

My EXACT reaction. Looking back, some of it was so stupid it was funny to think about. Pedro and his brother, the ex-football player cousin making videos of himself. Seems funny now. Watching it was a different story altogether. I couldn't believe my kids actually talked me into renting it as I was sitting there dumbfounded.

• 2 weeks later...

I too thought this movie to be a bit odd. It did have it's moments, & not bad of such a low budget film. I believe it cost something like 200,000 to make and has made 40 million? The question I kept thinking though was, when were people able to get online & chat? I didn't think it happened in the 80's? As long as you don't make this the feature of the night you will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...