Continuing madness - the 6500 euro risk....

maxg

----------------

On 1/13/2005 9:18:45 AM dubai2000 wrote:

Max,

I can understand you very well (!), but I am not sure which part of the equation is most vital: TT, arm or cartridge?....I know, ideally speaking all three....but in real life....?

Anyway, I am looking forward to reading more about your vinyl upgrade.

Wolfram

----------------

As I am planning to buy a combo of table and arm the list of improvements expected is bascialy the list of the properties I attribute to those 2 components working together.

You should also add the phono stage to your list as a major factor - the equal of cartridge, arm and table IMHO.

The matching of the 4 components together is the real key of course. Hopefully I am about to get that VERY right. Hopefully that is.

beautiful!

you seem ready to spend a lot of bucks on isolation when a simple platform will do, then you can spend more money on the cartridge and arm...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0404/ginkocloud10.htm

Stereophile also had a excellent article on Gingko with measurements showing the same thing...

Right you are Max. It's just as critical to get components that mate well which was the reason for my decision with the Basis/Vector/Temper/BB&Cream. I, however, was lucky to have a similiar set-up available to me for extensive auditioning. The most critical factor for me was the table and arm and finding an auction that allowed me to snag the arm at about 1/3 of retail. I basically built my rig around that arm.

Nice birthday present, eh? Well, 40 is a big one. I hope it all works out well and exceeds your expectations! You're also lucky to have SWMBO on board. My wife says mine looks like it was built in someones garage which is fine by me (all those wires sticking up you know!). The problem is, everytime we get a repairman in the house, they seem to be audiophiles and rant on and on about my table! I just wish they'd shut up about it! Its happened twice over the past 3 months now. First the furnace guy and now the oven repairman.7.gif I now cover my downstairs rack with a curtain when not in use.

Max,

You seem to have a real grasp of what you're looking for in TTs - surely beyond most of our collective reach. Just a couple of thoughts...

I took a look at your system and the one obvious factor to consider is your floor. Is it tile on concrete or wood? If its concrete, then you have many TT options available - the sky's the limit. If its wood - you have serious vibration issues and you'll need a TT that has superior damping and vibration control. With concrete floor, you only have to concern yourself with ambient vibrations so a suspended TT on a ridgid stand would give you excellent results. Very open and airy presentation with good bass control which is a wonderful match with a medium mass arm (like SME IV or V) and your 901.

OTOH, if the floor is wood, the combination with tile will severely hamper your choices to mostly non-suspended TTs. In addition to more vibration, you also have to deal with things like children running through and alcohol-induced prat falls. The 901 is a beautiful-sounding cart (just bought one myself) but not the best tracker which will only compound your problem. In this case, a NS TT on a high-mass stand would be the better option.

Finally, I also noticed that you have an Acoustic Signature phono/pre. Did you consider any of the AS lineup as a good match for both the pre and cart? I apologize if I'm repeating someone's comments but I came into this thread late.

Have fun -Bryan

Thanks Guy and Gary,

JB,

The floors are solid concrete beneath the tiles so as you say I have a world of choice on TT's. As for the tracking on the 901 - interesting comment - I have never had a problem with it - I can run the cart as low as 1 gramme and it still tracks fine - although it sounds better at about 1.7 to my ears.

Yes I did consider the Acoustic Signature line - but as I confessed above - it kinda fell by the wayside simply because I could not find one to test out.

Frankly - without the product labelling you are pushed to distinguish them from some of the Transrotors and the Acoustic Solids - visually at least. I did get to hear their bottom of the range unit a year or so ago - (Samba I think). A fine TT in and of itself but no real upgrade path.

For entirely personal reasons I tend to favour high mass designs. Suspended tables I have found are just a bit too wobbly and dont engender faith in the way a masssive TT does.

It also happens that my entire system is not bass heavy - high mass TT's tend to produce more bass and I can use all of that I can get.

Tis done. Left the dealer at 11.30 at night (how is that for service!) Tony in tow.

No surprize in the end. Will find out tomorrow how long it will take to get the damn thing - not surprizingly the distributor was closed so we dont know if there are any units in the country.

Pics will be posted as soon as it is installed (and I have had a bit of a listen).

Apologies to all for the blow by blow accounts and endless options - it is all over now and safe to return to the forum - promise!!

Happy Birthday Max!

SME 20/2A TurntableB'day possibility one.

ClearAudio Master Reference TurntableB'day possibility two.

TNT HR-XB'day possibility three. No particular order to these first three.

When considering the last turntable you would ever want to buy, there's this V.Y.G.E.R which makes the Verdier a "toy".

vyger.jpg

VYGER Indian Top View

You would probably have a bit of trouble with SHMBO to get these however. Personally, I buy a few CA Super Lotto tickets a month. I just missed the $81 million!

3.gif

Klipsch out.

For something more sedate and b'day back-up present no.5:

Basis2001.web.jpg

Basis 2001, suspended TT.

Basis2500.web.jpg

Basis 2500, suspended TT with heavier plinth and platter.

BasisDebutPlatter.web.jpg

Underside of the 2500 platter; brass plugs are inserted into the acrylic.

Vector.web.jpg

Basis Vector, a heavily damped and stabilized unipivot arm.

Larry

P.S. I made Freak!

Whoa!

What happened to my shots of the V.Y.G.E.R.?

vyger.jpgVYGER Indian Top View

Klipsch out.

PS. I guess it takes a while for them to display. Larry and Gary, I only posted tables that were one manufacturers complete solution,( arm and table from one source). SME, Clearaudio, VPI, and V.Y.G.E.R. The Basis is also a world class performer.

----------------

On 1/14/2005 2:02:23 AM jazman wrote:

...Larry and Gary, I only posted tables that were one manufacturers complete solution, (arm and table from one source). SME, Clearaudio, VPI, and V.Y.G.E.R. The Basis is also a world class performer.

----------------

EDIT: Edmond -- thanks, it's there now. Because Basis TTs and arm are so black-on-black and lack a good pic mounted together, I showed them separately. Thanks for putting those up.

Larry

Larry,

Congrats on the newly acquired status - it is all downhill from here. Also apologies for not giving Basis a fair crack of the whip - as I explained I wanted to simply end the process of selection and Clearaudio was the easiest solution.

Edmund,

Not only do I know the Vyger - I have actually seen the one that is the subject of the review. It is a monster (will I be sued for saying that?). Not only is it horrendously enormous and plumbed in - it sits atop a stand of solid marble that must weight half a ton. Atop that is a 450 lb floating platform on which the TT rests.

Vangellis can get away with this table as he has a playroom of his very own - I do not. Whatever I chose had to be with the living room in mind - at least currently.

Paul,

Still alive and kicking - just been away for the weekend trying to sell one of the properties we are developing. Kinda important for us right now!

All,

What is up with the site? It is running so slowly it beggars belief!!