a note about profanity

heresy2guy

I agree about keeping it clean, but you're gonna get on somebody for replacing certain letters with asterisks, number signs, and various punctuation marks too?

I think that's a little excessive.

Actually, I think it su@!$.

Am I going to get a slap on the wrists for that one now?

What will be next then - don't even "THINK" it?

Uh-oh - beware the Klipsch Thought Police!

Even 60 years ago, when most everything in the media was heavily censored, some words were implied by using symbols like "#%$!" and it managed to get either an "okay" or a free "pass" by even the most bible-thumping people out there (no offense meant here to those who might be heavily religious).

Think about it - today you can flip to numerous channels on BASIC CABLE and witness people displaying the motions of lovemaking while exposing breasts and buttocks and yet here on a basically adult visited website you have a Klipsch moderator saying you can't use words like "sh##t" on a forum.

I don't by any means support the filth you see so openly on TV now a days, and I think they've gone too far, personally speaking. But that post by the moderator is taking such a far leap backwards that it's hard for me to swallow.

There might be some jerks who act immature on this board, but most everybody here has one thing in common and that's a passion for Klipsch speakers. And sometimes that passion can get pretty heated.

To tell an adult not to insert a word that has had various letters replaced by abstract symbols is ludicrous.

Maybe the moderator spends too much time dealing with 5 year old children or something.

You're basically right Dean. I'm not saying you're wrong. It -is- their board. I just think the post was ludicrous considering it's topic and it's audience.

And the board is here for Klipsch's customers. That's us. They want to be able to provide a place for us to converse about our Klipsch purchases. And I'm also sure they hope that it will lead to us making additional purchases.

The door swings both ways.

I guess I just don't see this website and board to be an almighty "privilege" like you perhaps do Dean.

Instead, I see it as a very shrewd and effective marketing tool for Klipsch and Associates.

Ooops..I meant Klipsch Audio Technologies.

Whatever.

Personally, I liked Klipsch and Associates better.

I'm grateful for the board being here, but do we really need to resort to kindergarten rules and "mother-may-I's" in order to use it?

Personally, I doubt they profit from this forum. More folks here buy used gear then new and I truly believe this is their way of showing appreciation for our loyalty. Klipsch makes most of their money from Best Buy shoppers and computer speakers, not from a bunch of wannabe audiophiles who have nothing better to do in the middle of the night then blab about this amp or that crossover or why vinyl sounds better than CDs. 9.gif

"...I see it as a very shrewd and effective marketing tool for Klipsch and Associates."

Actually, it's a very shrewd and effective marketing tool for me.9.gif

Find another forum with the free license Klipsch gives us here. Sure, we talk about our Klipsch purchases, but we talk about a lot of other kind of purchases too. What I really believe is that they use the forum to help them evaluate the performance of their products. At least, that's what I would use it for.

"gosh-darnit?", "gee whillikers?", "darn?", "shucks?", "jeepers?", "dag-gone-it?" "Golly Gee Willikers?"

Ugggh!!! 14.gif

For some reason or another this is beginning to remind me of that scene in the movie Demolition Man with Sylvester Stallone where Denis Leary goes on his spiel about 40 year old virgins sitting around in their pajamas at night singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener." 9.gif

I think Dean has expressed this well. In addition to the privilege and corresponding responsibility to be civil... Forum members would do well to remember that they are guests.

It is common to see people be rude when they are in their cars. Many of these people would never express in "public" what they do when they feel anonymous in their vehicles. The internet seems to offer enough anonymity to some that they forget their manners.

So, Heresy2guy, unless you want to spend some time in timeout, this is my best advice: Don't diss the moderator when she makes a request such as this. Thanks.

BTW, "thinking" profanity is allowed.

Guest Anonymous

i just have one thing to say, i agree totally about rules and this thhat and the other thing, but i think that there is one saying we should be allowed to use... and that is bull$$$$, the only reason i think we should be able to use that is it is because PWK lived by that saying and its almost a moto for the company, i mean they have give away those pins... does anyone agree with me? that if used in proper context ie refering to bose or other outragous claims that other companies make we should be able to comment back on them wiht klipsch's own moto?

I whole heartedly agree.

Heresy2guy... look at it this way, what if I came to your home and started preaching (pushing) religion "x" to you (verses what ever yours may or may not be). I'd suggest that soon, you'd want to throw me out since bluntly speaking, you might find my Heresy (pun intended) offensive 3.gif

I frankly think anyone can get their point across without cursing, (though I DO think "$*#&)" kind of thing is cute because you can insert your own definition, not always being vulgar)

back to the point, I think that profanity is not only dumb, but shows how classless one can be if that is the only way they have to express their point.

In my view, it's all about respect

----------------

On 1/15/2005 12:08:05 AM heresy2guy wrote:

I agree about keeping it clean, but you're gonna get on somebody for replacing certain letters with asterisks, number signs, and various punctuation marks too?

I think that's a little excessive.

Actually, I think it su@!$.

Am I going to get a slap on the wrists for that one now?

What will be next then - don't even "THINK" it?

Uh-oh - beware the Klipsch Thought Police!

----------------

I have to agree with you. It is quite common to hear words like BS and pi$$ed-off, etc., on regular OTA radio and TV broadcasts. They help convey an attitude or meaning that would be hard to state otherwise. Does that make them profanity? Adults commonly use that kind of language in everyday conversations, and it is a world apart from the 'hard core' language you hear in bars, football fields, rap music, etc. The use of symbols like $@%, etc., further emphasizes the writer's attempt to not 'offend' the PC crowd, who can find any reason to feel offended or discriminated against. It is pretty obvious when someone is trying to make a point, and also pretty obvious when they have crossed the line and are intentionally being vulgar or lewd. This is the internet, not Sunday school, chill out.

These message boards DO provide brand recognition...if you weren't here you would be posting somewhere else.

the internet is very competitive and it is all about advertising and sales...

seven years ago you could go into a searcher and actually get useful info, now it as all ads...

You are doing Klipsch a favor by posting here, mostly promoting the 'greatness' of their products (how often are there Klipsch s*cks posts?)

Notice my username, there is nothing better for the buck

(well, maybe MCMs 2.gif )

Forgot to add - I do agree about keeping the language 'clean' though...

It's rude behavior to communicate with such words in front of kids and people you don't know. This place has both. If Klipsch asks that we clean it up, we have but two choices. Either don't post or learn how to convey a point without the foul language. It shouldn't be that hard.

Greetings,

Having run a message board when I served as webmaster for a local business, I can appreciate the moderator's perspective.

I ended up closing down the message board portion of the site because the language had gotten out of hand, despite several requests to clean it up. The message board was part of our website, and therefore was part of what represented our company - not only to our fans, but also to potential clients and sponsors. Foul language was not part of how we wanted to represent our company.

I like to think of posting something on a message board as being similar to being a guest in someone's house. A different standard of etiquette applies. Just my two cents worth...

Take care,

Scott

PS - I wonder whether that "Note About Profanity" might not be a *blue* note... 2.gif

It's kind of comical that PWK would be in trouble on these forums for using his catch phrase "Bull@#$%!!!" However, I can understand why the mods want to limit such language... I don't think it adds anything to the forums, other than profanity.

Anyways, there's many alterative 'swear words' to use - for example...

"By Grabthar's hammer, what a crook that Ebay seller is!!!" 2.gif