a note about profanity

heresy2guy

I didn't know him, but I don't think PK would have spoken like that in mixed company, or in a public domain setting. Still, he represented high standards, and I think applying an equally high standard to a board that carries his name is consistant with the essence of who he really was.

My 2 cents worth: I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about what "profanity" really is, even among some of the moderators. Most of what has been mentioned is crude at least, and probably vulgar, but definitely NOT profane.

ps - and yet the wording of the topic currently residing just below this (ohmyg**superduper), most definitely IS profane, yet raises nary the slightest protest from the moderators.

Euphemisms are just as bad, because everyone knows what you mean. It's just not polite and does reflect poorly on Klipsch.

Used to be that you could have construction workers at your house doing work (just as an example), and they might cuss and swear among themselves. As soon as the homeowner or lady of the house would appear, they were all "yes sir, no ma'am". When you say something on here, you don't know who is reading/perusing the board.

Would any of you talk this way in front of Amy? Your own kids, your wife?

My 2 cents,

Marvel

I think it could all boil down to this analogy.

(for you defenders of crass language)

If a visitor enters your home, you do NOT expect them to re-arrange your furniture. After you put it back and point out the note on the front door where they entered that happens to mention NOT moving the furniture, you MIGHT find it offensive when they do it again. By doing it again, they are essentially spitting in your face showing you absolutely zero respect and I'd bet that most of the "defenders of that language" would be the FIRST ones in line, to toss that rude visitor OUT of their house for violating HIS house rules (as well he should)

This is the house of Klipsch and we all should abide by THEIR rules or leave, just that simple. To do anything less is to be spitting on the rules of etiquette. A rude guest displaying zero regard for anyone else but themselves.

For the stories I've heard about "The Button", I'd agree that PWK would not be spewing that about in public. All of the reading I've done on "The Button" was where he was in more of a one on one with someone, (though perhaps in public) and he flashed it to them as an individual, not in a public announcement sort of way.

To post profanity here is doing so in a public announcement kind of way. Have some class and try to make your same point (if you must) by using finesse, it will raise our common denominator, rather than lower it.

Back to your knitting

2.gif

First, children can freely wander throughout this forum. Second, it's Klipsch' house. Third, thinking that you can't get your point across without using profanity OR crass language is simply laziness. Trying to make an argument that when the moderators ask us to clean up the language is somehow indicative of the "thought police" showing up is silly and the kind of weak argument made by those who can't differentiate between right and wrong.

As I use to tell my 8 year old when he was only 4, "Use your words".

"ps - and yet the wording of the topic currently residing just below this (ohmyg**superduper), most definitely IS profane, yet raises nary the slightest protest from the moderators."

An excellent point and I think of this as a somewhat distant corollary to that sad but true little homily-----

"What is a definition of 'hate speech"?

- Anything that doesn't mention a heterosexual white male!!-

----------------

On 1/16/2005 3:40:48 AM boomac wrote:

CWM,

Never got the impression "hate" had anything to do with Amy's request. It seems you might have a bit of "hate" inside you though!

----------------

Really? Expand on your observation!! I see no hate here. The discussion is about censorship but I agree that crudity in postings is best left off the forum. It isn't necessary. The joke is just that--a unique little observation that occasionally generates a response like yours. The truth of it is, however, undeniable! Lighten up!!

----------------

"What is a definition of 'hate speech"?

- Anything that doesn't mention a heterosexual white male!!-

----------------

Whats with the white male stuff? I cant understand how that statement is relevant or necessary to this discussion. That is, unless youre casting bait. Heck, I do and say things that I would never discuss or mention on this Forum. You know - there's a time and place. This ain't some college chat room where everybody is trying to grow up and "EXPRESS" themselves. It's just an audio forum where people get along quite well and most participants appreciate the opportunity enough to accommodate a reasonable request from the moderators.

OK....

But can someone please tell me why Klipsch and Associates choose to edit the reference to Stanley L i p s h i t z and Mr. Vanderkooy of the University of Waterloo and their infamous 'leadership' of AES, who waged a decades long fight against the validity of the works of Richard Heyser, to "Lip****z"????????

Granted, I am NOT a fan of Stanley's, and in a weird sense I sort of agree that a reference to him is obscene, but isn't this missing the point? Or...what is the point?2.gif

OK....

But can someone please tell me why Klipsch and Associates choose to edit the reference to Stanley L i p s h i t z and Mr. Vanderkooy of the University of Waterloo and their infamous 'leadership' of AES, who waged a decades long fight against the validity of the works of Richard Heyser, to "Lip****z"????????

Granted, I am NOT a fan of Stanley's, and in a weird sense I sort of agree that a reference to him is obscene, but isn't this missing the point? Or...what is the point? Like it or not, there is no profanity in this post! 2.gif

{And after submitting this - it seems to not appear although it is listed in the summary! Hopefully we will not end up with a plethora of them later, as I will attempt to resubmit it!}

• Moderators

Wow, I've been here a whole day, and somehow this thread escaped me until now. I closed the initial post for a reason... and I didn't realize this simple request would create such a controversy.

First of all, as noted in another thread under "General:"

I'm confident Paul would want the Klipsch company forum to be a classy place for all walks of life to visit to learn about audio, regardless of how he personally spoke to his peers in the business.

I don't believe it's a difficult nor unreasonable request.

Edit by Trey: PWK placed his BS button under his collar so not to offend anyone. He only "flash it" in the right company.

Second, I've taken this stance more because of the way these words have been used lately as opposed to their use in general.

For example, I'd be more tolerant of someone saying "These speakers kick a**" rather than "You're an "a**." However, there are some who would walk that fine line, and it works out best if we simply clean it up and show a little more respect for one another. For most of you, this request doesn't even apply. The respect is already there.

I'm not trying to be a playground monitor here, and I'm not in the company of 5 year olds frequently. But I do know how to be respectful when a situation calls for it. I believe discussions in a public forum call for it.

Thanks for the support,

Amy

I agree with most, that if you wanna play in the Klipsch sandbox, you have to follow their tules.

And I don't believe that any one person singled out the Lipsh!tz to be edited out, I would assume that they have software that just deletes strings of letters that have been selected as unacceptable. I've seen it before with other words or phrases, all of which escape me at the moment.