Klipsch, better than live!

Cal Blacksmith

I would have never thought it but we (wife, son and myself) went to Disneyland yesterday (we have annual passes so it doesnt cost so much) and went to dinner at a Jazz/restaurant just outside the main gate and there was trio playing, piano, bass and drums. We didnt have great seating but how bad can live music be? Well, lets just say that if I had a recording that bad, I would never play it again. While the music was good, the image was very confused, everything just seemed to be on top of each other. If you concentrated on an instrument, it sounded good but the sum of the three was less than the individual parts. The vocals were amplified and they sounded muddy and distorted, most likely the bass was amplified also but I couldnt see him from where we were seated.

I just thought it interesting that while they were playing, all I could think of was how much better it would sound at home on my set of Fortes !

Same thing can happen at rock concerts 3.gif

Circa 1980 or so, went to a Boston concert with a buddy of mine.

We were MORE than let down with the sound/volume of Boston, so when it was over, we kinda looked at each other and one of us said (forget which) "Let's go listen to a REAL concert", went to my house, put on the Boston album and proceeded to blow our eardrums out 11.gif

Unfortunately (this is no slam on you Cal), most audiophiles don't have a very good idea what live music sounds like, espescially unamplified (which is hard to come by nowadays). Usually there will be some sort of amplification.

In live verses recorded demonstrations, the audience most often identifies the recorded sound as being the "live" sound.

PWK even makes mention of this in one of his papers decades ago where a friend of his wrote to him about a "Hi-Fi" show he had attended where they compared a couple of sound reproduction systems to a live orchestra. "The orchestra came in third".

Many of the sonic qualities so many audiophiles hold near and dear to their criteria of "good sound", actually have no meaning when listening to live music.

I know what you mean Cal, but each one is fun in different ways. It's nice to get out of the listening room and into the real world of music, listen to a show, mix with some people. Depending upon the artists, their gear, the venue etc. to my mind, live music almost always comes out ahead. Which when I think about it is a silly comparison. I'll take music in almost any way, shape or form.

Guest Anonymous

i will tell you one thing, the best concert i ever went to in my life was keller williams, i am not sure if you have ever heard of him, but its kind of got a blue-grass sound, but with a modern up beat twist, but everything was just wonderful!

on the other hand i went to a few "punk" concerts and the bass was turned up so much that it was hard to concentrate on anything in fact i really couldn't even tell what the words were.... i think its more the luck of the draw when it comes to good sound at concerts, well personally

----------------

On 1/17/2005 6:21:22 PM artto wrote:

Unfortunately (this is no slam on you Cal), most audiophiles don't have a very good idea what live music sounds like, espescially unamplified (which is hard to come by nowadays). Usually there will be some sort of amplification.

None taken. I do get to hear live un-amplified music every week. Our church has an orchestra ranging from 20 piece to 50 piece, depending on the week and who is there and if there is any special programs. Our sanctuary was re-designed about 5 years ago and a keen "ear" was placed on how the room sounds, to the point of breaking out and replacing the floor and walls. So it is like going to a concert every week. The choir is amplified but the orchestra is not. I am usually seated about 15 feet from the orchestra and centered in the room. Actually, the spl is louder than I would normally listen to at home.