Question regarding subwoofer

Jennifer1

Hello guys,

so finally I will get my sub tomorrow (RW-12)...;) I need to buy an interconnect cable to connect it to my receiver. With my receiver, I have got 2 options:

If a subwoofer is connected and you wish to have

the front left/right main speakers reproduce bass

frequencies at all times, and have the subwoofer

operate only when the AVR 230 is being used

with a digital source that contains a dedicated

Low-Frequency Effects, or LFE, soundtrack. Press

the / Buttonsoon the remote so that

LFE appears in the on-screen menu.

If a subwoofer is connected and you wish to use it

for bass reproduction in conjunction with the main

front left/right speakers, regardless of the type of

program source or Surround mode, press the /

Buttonsoon the remote so that SUB

LFE+L/R appears in the on-screen menu.

When this option is selected, a full-range signal

will be sent to the front left/right main speakers,

and the subwoofer will receive the bass frequencies

under frequency selected, as described

below, as well as the LFE information.

So if I want to have the bass for listening music in 2 channel stereo and have the LFE in movies, I have to select the second option? I have to set the crossover of my RF-15 at 80khz?

thanks!

I'm not familiar with your receiver, but I would say yes, the second option would seem the best choice. I would not think, from the wording quoted, that it would matter what crossover point you picked.

p.s. re: cables -- Just buy what you like, but know it is not necessary to spend such a princely sum for a wire to connect your sub. In most cases, a cheap mono interconnect from Radio shack, in the needed length, will "sound" just as good. More money can buy you better insulation and heavier gauge construction, but I think the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty hard after you get to $30 or so for say, a 20' run.

Please, for the love of god, don't spend $150 for a subwoofer cable... Actually, don't buy MonsterCable products at all.

If you want a high quality subwoofer cable, just buy Acoustic Research or Dayton at partsexpress... or email me the length you need and I'll make it for you for a tiny fraction of the price.

i vote stay away from monster cable, as suggested above. you get screwed for what you pay on monster products.

you can get a cheapo sub cable at partsexpress for $5(13 foot). http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=189-300

i have one of these and its perfectly fine.

or get a http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-642 for $12 made by dayton(12 foot).

scp53

Jennifer is in Canada. There may be a hassle buying mailorder. Jennifer the subwoofer has a high impedence input and the signal out from your reciever is at a fairly high level with no worries about capacitance losses in the high frequencies.

Go down to Wal Mart, or the equivelant, and get their "best" subwoofer cable. While you are there, use the rest of the money (most) that you were going to waste on Munster wire and pick up a few CDs.

Rick

I would go for the second choice on set up, but would recomend that you listen to both and see what you like. Even with "full range" speakers the second option lets your receiver dedicate the power to the higher frequencies and lets the sub do its thing. If you can also try different crossovers, say 60 or 40, most importantly do what sounds best to you in your room.

Cables are easier, sure both are nicly constructed, go for the cheaper ones or look as others recomend look at hopefully less expensive name brands if available.

Yes, Miss Jennifer, the second option sounds like it will do just what you want to do. 80 Hz is a good starting point for the crossover. You should run it up to 100 and down to 60 and see which sounds better. Remember, if the system sounds like it has a subwoofer, the sub is TOO LOUD.

Don't buy either of those Monster sub cables. The restricted range and low frequencies sent to a subwoofer means any cable can do the job, no matter how cheap. I would look for one in the $20 range with good looking ends so you don't have to worry about corrosion over the long term. Like the others said, spend the rest on CDs or Ice Cream. My subwoofer cables are 4 meter video cables with fat connectors that grip the amp inputs tightly.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 12:07:41 PM Jennifer1 wrote:

thanks for all your suggestions,

because of you , the salepersons won't sell me all kind of stuff I don't need...because they think a girl doesn't know about electronics....but more and more I read here, the more I know!

----------------

Give yourself credit also for reading and asking questions.

There is a great wealth of knowledge retained by Forum Members. As time goes and you feel comfortable, you will be answering questions posed.

The only dumb question is the one not asked.

Have fun putting your system together. Then enjoy listening.

dodger

dial it in it's a 2 to 1 ratio on the cross over front speakers respond down to 40 hertz solid, crossover at 80 hertz, also important is the level of each speaker, because of unequal distances you will have to get the levels right, the newer amps have this built in ,with an omniderctional mic that you place were you listen,, an it is done in auto mode ,an tells you the distance an volume levels ,some also set up the EQ,adjustments ,or use your test tone it will be close, the tolerance on the auto modes is 6', this will enable your DSP effects to be effective, it's like a sound enginer coming to your home, an setting up a flat response curve needed for DSP, ie yamaha sends sound enginers to the site, an mics the venue's acoutics with 4 mics, say tenth row center at the Roxy or at a 70 mm theater, throws that info in the dsp chip, using delay ,reverb ,an modulations, to recreate the venue ,if your sub or any other speaker is over powering the other speakers ,it ruins the DSP , in layman terms this is time aligning an equaling your sound levels for a sweet spot for were your ears are,woodwinds in front kettle drums in the back.laters have fun

forgot if your really into it an spl-meter will do the same for setting up levels.As far as the crossover ,it will just set the frequency when your sub gets a signal, if your set up as a fullrange front speaker, a small speaker it will cut of the signal at the crossover point an feed all the lower frequencys to the sub