RW VS RSW

Jennifer1

----------------

On 1/20/2005 5:22:23 PM gcoker wrote:

The RSW series are non-ported, higher wattage amps, comes in

furniture grade finishes. The RW series are ported, lower watt

amps, black finish and so forth. The RSW subs range in price form

$1,000-1,800 MSRP while the RW subs range from about $400-$700.

----------------

Thanks for the details, gcoker.

The site is still a little hard to find specific models.

dodger

The RSW is while not techincally ported its not considered sealed either. I have the RSW 15 and I think its very nice, if you have the room size and the $ consider the RSW. I would say listen to both but with subs its difficult to get an idea how they are going to sound at home unless you take them there. I think in most cases people find they don't have enough bass rather than too much (too much is easy to fix, turn it down). Good luck

The RSW line use a passive radiator. Passive radiator and ported enclosures are vented type enclosures. Generally, one can get a low tuning frequency in a much smaller box using passive radiators. Ported boxes tend to be larger. The RW line is ported.

The RSW line will carry more slam and will reach a little deeper, I think. If you have a large room, I'd consider RSW over RW unless cost was an issue. Even in a smaller room, the RSW line will probably sound better than the RW's... and with the PR instead of the port, port noise will never be an issue.

because money is an issue for me, I will go with the RW-12, much cheaper than the RSW models. The price in canada is 898$ + tax (15%) (around 720 US). I will try to deal the price, I bought already my towers and center at the same klipsch dealer, I hope he will lower a little bit. If not, I guess I will go somewhere else...;)

----------------

On 1/21/2005 6:37:41 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

because money is an issue for me, I will go with the RW-12, much cheaper than the RSW models. The price in canada is 898$ + tax (15%) (around 720 US). I will try to deal the price, I bought already my towers and center at the same klipsch dealer, I hope he will lower a little bit. If not, I guess I will go somewhere else...
;)

----------------

They should, the mark up on speakers is like furniture and jewlery..

very high. I think around 50%. I purchased my RW-12 when they came

out for around $625 (USD). With you purchasing other Klipsch speakers

form them they should give you atleast a 20%-25% discount.

Good Luck10.gif

Unfortunately, Klipsch in Canada and Europe are handled by distributors. This adds another layer of cost and profit to the retail prices that we don't have here in the US.

Max, Wait for the Premieres! Of course you have to after getting that mortgage for your new TT. Even if you didn't mortgage the homestead, you've mortgaged your future to the whims of SWMBO ( x2).2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 1/21/2005 6:37:41 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

because money is an issue for me, I will go with the RW-12, much cheaper than the RSW models. The price in canada is 898$ + tax (15%) (around 720 US). I will try to deal the price, I bought already my towers and center at the same klipsch dealer, I hope he will lower a little bit. If not, I guess I will go somewhere else...
;)

----------------

I have an RW-12 and like it very much. I don't subscribe to the thump-thump kind of subwoofer bass that we hear a lot of these days. I only want a subwoofer to enhance what I already have. I run with the volume control at about half-way and, on DVD sources with significant LFE, the walls in my room can get to buzzing and vibrating. Contrary to what others may say, this is more than enough for me.

richinir wrote:

I have an RW-12 and like it very much. I don't subscribe to the thump-thump kind of subwoofer bass that we hear a lot of these days. I only want a subwoofer to enhance what I already have. I run with the volume control at about half-way and, on DVD sources with significant LFE, the walls in my room can get to buzzing and vibrating. Contrary to what others may say, this is more than enough for me.

----------------

I'm with you, that's the way I use my RW12 too. I only hear it on the lowest lows.

Hi

I dealt it at 650 US which is pretty good here in canada..it was 800 US.

I've got a question, is it better to set all the speakers to small (front and center) and have all the bass to the sub or set it to large for the front and have the front and the sub to reproduce bass...? I'm a little bit loss but I guess I have to play with it to find the best setting?

----------------

On 1/23/2005 8:57:40 AM Jennifer1 wrote:

Hi

I dealt it at 650 US which is pretty good here in canada..it was 800 US.

I've got a question, is it better to set all the speakers to small (front and center) and have all the bass to the sub or set it to large for the front and have the front and the sub to reproduce bass...? I'm a little bit loss but I guess I have to play with it to find the best setting?

----------------

I see the RF-15 goes down to about 46 Hz. Don't know how much power they have at 46 Hz. You may want to try it out with them set to large. If you do, get a dvd with known LFE effects, take the grill cloths off the RF-15's and watch the cones when you have the volume at what you are most likely to use when watching movies. If they seem to be about to jump out of the box and/or you get clicking noises from the woofers, you need to set them to small. Otherwise large might be OK. Depends on too many factors to make a judgment. You will have to do that.

My ET LFT-VIII's go down to a usable 25-28 Hz, and I run them as large. That's probably why I don't need a lot of sub volume as well.

Congrats Jennifer, you're moving right along. Think of the large/small switch this way. When you switch a speaker to LARGE, you are saying, send all the low frequency info to this speaker. When you call it small, you are telling the preamp to put a crossover in place, routing the lowest frequencies from that channel to the sub's output. This will in effect 'save' your speakers somewhat if they cannot reproduce the lowest octaves (I would try this with yours). The Sub will still always get its own .1 discrete low soundtrack, so by saying LARGE to all channels you are not killing the sub output.

You will also need to experiment with the subs own crossover frequency, levels and placement. The normal experience is to have too much sub at first, then you get tired of it and lower to a more natural listening level. Placement of the sub, either in distance from corner, distance from wall, and the surface it sits on may affect it's sound. Play a bit and write back.

Michael