Cornwall Bass response

I think the "Any tube amp" is completely wrong. I know of at least 4 users on this forum with my VRD mono blocks that would disagree. With the right tube amp the bass can be very authorative and defined.

Craig

+++++++++++++++

The VRD certainly has " best in class" bass.

Scott 208 and Dynaco ST70 owners get some pretty solid bass with the right system conditions.

----------------

On 1/22/2005 5:54:23 PM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 1/22/2005 5:09:26 PM jt1stcav wrote:

I agree with Craig on all issues.

----------------

Why thanks Jim
6.gif2.gif

----------------

Oh, if only I had me one of them PWK "Bull$hit" buttons right now...9.gif2.gif

----------------

On 1/22/2005 7:58:06 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

some say a DF of more than 300 is required for good control ... most tube amps = 50 ...
6.gif

----------------

Is an amp's damping factor measured with a scope? I know, sounds like a dumb question...

I am curious, though...would output tube rolling be an effective way to increase bass response to my Cornwalls (depending on what manufacturer I use), or would it be a waste of time and money as long as the output/power supply trannies and all caps and resistors remain the same? Or would upgrading the amp's innards with beefier components be the better way to go, and finding a pair of 300Bs with better bass response would just be iceing on the cake?

----------------

On 1/23/2005 11:16:35 AM jt1stcav wrote:

I am curious, though...would output tube rolling be an effective way to increase bass response to my Cornwalls (depending on what manufacturer I use), or would it be a waste of time and money as long as the output/power supply trannies and all caps and resistors remain the same? Or would upgrading the amp's innards with beefier components be the better way to go, and finding a pair of 300Bs with better bass response would just be iceing on the cake?

----------------

You'll be limited to the LF response of the OPT's, but it seems you have reasonble low frequency response from your post a couple back.

Roll some output tubes within your budget. All triodes have a sonic flavor of their own, so why not?

Some may have more bass, you never know.

How is the hum on the BEZ 300B amp? Is the Cathode/Filaments DC heated, or AC heated?

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:47:33 PM mike stehr wrote:

How is the hum on the BEZ 300B amp? Is the Cathode/Filaments DC heated, or AC heated?

----------------

Not being technically inclined, I have no clue how it's heated (could be the former).

I can tell you this much though, there is virtualy ZERO hum coming from my amp, even with my ears pressed firmly against the Cornwall's tweeters! That's impressive for a homebuilt amp, eh? 4.gif

----------------

On 1/23/2005 3:01:34 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

fini,

I think it is done with a precision hygrometer.

c7s

Is an amp's damping factor measured with a scope? I know, sounds like a dumb question...

----------------

Clipped, when and where do you use a hygrometer, not a hand held surely?

72.2F, 42.2RH

fini,

Funny you mentioned that, I had an uncle Hiram , who, after years as a young surfer in the 50s, had a similar job replacing these little rubber thingies that wires went through in aluminum, I forget what they are called, he worked on top of radio towers, but he got fired when his urine test turned up positve for whatever drugs were popular back then with the crowd he hung around with. He shouldn not have shown up for work in that condition. He helped me make my first kite.

Something you said reminded me vaguely of his job title back then, memory is hazy now, not too many guys doing that kind of work anymore, what with UHF, you know.

Sorry for the serious and sober post here.

c7s

----------------

On 1/26/2005 11:20:29 PM fini wrote:

I knew a hygrometer who got a job putting brass rings in tarps way up on ladders in the circus.

----------------