OK Let's Start a Cornwall Drawing

Jim E

----------------

On 2/5/2005 9:05:59 PM Jim E wrote:

I'm bumping this post as I sill need info on the grill material and verification on the general dimensions of the cabinet.

----------------

My grills are made of what appears to be masonite (1/4"MDF product) that was painted black on both sides (before the grill cloth was glued on). The backside (side without grill cloth) is smooth... but I'm not sure if the other side is the regular rough masonite or smooth as well.

I could try measuring them tonight... but I have three separate openings for the three drivers and not a combined mid and high frequency opening as you've drawn.

I don't know which would have been standard... as I only have one pair.2.gif

Later...

Rob

PS: I'm assuming you have Adobe Acrobat (not just reader) to enable you to create PDF from your ACAD drawings? Or is it a new plugin offered?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi guys:

I have perused this thread with great interest, and have a few questions:

1) Is there a substantial interest in building repro speaker cabs? I know that these drawings are obviously corns, but I am reading that there is a "drive" to make others, perhaps.

2) Are these drawings for "public use"? (I would say yes, since they are being posted).

3) I know a local company (some guys who build reproduction pinball cabinets, imagine that), that have a HUGE CNC routing machine that they cut panels with. If there is a "niche market" for repro speaker cabinets, I can forsee the potential of overseeing the process to get these cabinets manufactured, perhaps even veneered and available for the public.

...talk me into it, guys. I have my hands full with the DIY crossovers (just the tip of the iceberg), but could be "persuaded" to investigate this venue if there is a "real need".

Popbumper9.gif

<> about reproduction cabinets- I had a feeling this was the wrong thing to say. Sorry Popbumper and Formica. Far be it from me to police the Klipsch FOrum. If Amy thinks an idea is unethical, I'm sure she'll tell us. Other than that, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. This post and similar ones have been circulating long enough that if Klipsch had any problem with this, they'd either hoist the flag and remake Cornwalls themselves, or shut us down.

Sorry fellas, lets dream on. It is difficult for some individuals to 'gear up' into cabinetmaking. Perhaps one of the CNC contacts could build a 'knocked-down' version that could be shipped flat for much less $, then assembled by the end user. He could then proudly proclaim, and rightly so, that he BUILT IT.

So I'd be interested in a quote for a single Cornwall cabinet, unfinished, since I plan on reveneering 4 others at the same time.

Thanks guys, sorry to be such an ahole! I swear, its the lack of sleep from that road trip, really.

Michael

Micahel

No biggie, if anyone wants to speak up and shut down an idea, it's their prerogative. Truth is, I am surprised nobody nixed reproduced cabinet drawings, out in plain view for all to see. Cottage industry aside, to do something like I mentioned would be a lot of work anyway, doubtful anyone would have the time or capacity to do so; it's fun to dream.

Popbumper

----------------

On 2/7/2005 11:52:12 PM popbumper wrote:

Cottage industry aside, to do something like I mentioned would be a lot of work anyway, doubtful anyone would have the time or capacity to do so; it's fun to dream.

----------------

There is actually a small company / cottage industry offering some Klipsch heritage reproductions. These have nothing to do with the BIC copper coloured RF series "copies".

If I recall, there was a Cornwall like model. He's a one man show in Texas... and really does it for the love of it and for local clients only. I doubt he can turn a profit at his pricing. He offers the cabinet only, or a fully loaded version as well. I remember him mentioning (you can probably still find a post here about it) that he offers several drivers options including recycled Klipsch units.

I have the link if you want to look them over (PM me) as members have posted about them here several times in the past. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I'm surprised that the demand for dedicated centers (Academy replicas and custom made) have not been greater. I know several members who offered their talents to build some but got very little interest.

As for the grill dimensions... the tweeter opening is 4-3/8" x 1-15/16" and it's upper edge is exactly 2" from the top. The mid range opening is 10-3/8" x 3-1/2" and it's upper edge is 5-1/2" from the top. The woofer cut out is 13-3/8" diameter and it's upper edge is 14-7/8" from the top.

Hope it helps...

Rob

please read my edit post two posts above. Didn't mean to be so rough. I'm not the Klipsch Police.

Formica, what year/genre are your Cornwalls? Do you actually have separate openings in the grille board for tweet and mid? My dimensions posted earlier from my 74's are for a single large opening for tweet/mid together. Knowing Klipsch, it was probably slightly different every month! LOL

I'll post motor board dimensions for my 'new' 63 verticals this week. Note that on this model, bolts were inserted from the front of motor board, the grill cloth was wrapped around the motor board and stapled, speakers attached with nuts/wood screws from rear, then the assembly was screwed to wood blocks from the rear. NO REMOVEABLE grille on this vintage. I'll probably change that when I rebuild.

Michael

Formica, Popbumper and colterphoto1,

Thank all of you for your input on the Cornwalls. I have updated the quick drawings with the data as supplied. I just want to say for the record, these drawings are and have been created for the DIY crowd. There is certainly no intent here for any type of "factory duplication" nor do I think there is a market large enough to warrent this.

Cornwall2Port1.jpg

post-16371-13819261282034_thumb.jpg

bump for us, hey gang, has anyone stopped talking and started SAWING?!?!?!?

I'd like to hear from members that have completed this project in the past. Trouble spots?

Someone out there asked about the motor board cutouts for CW or CWII with front mounting....

You need to review the entire thread. THere are dimensions for the grille, motor board with back mounting, motor board with 601 and K77 flush mounted in rabbets. I'm not sure of the overall dimensions of CWII grill as I don't have one, but the overall dimensions of the box look to be within 1/4 or so of being the same. If your motor board changes a bit, just recenter the position of the cutouts, but I measured the cutouts personally.

COMING SOON. positions for motorboard and grille cutouts for a 1963 (and other) VERTICAL Cornwalls. Especially helpful if you wish to construct you own Vertical cabinet (for horizontal placement) for center channel home theatre use. If thats not confusing enough, the speaker is lying down on it's side, but the horns still go side-to-side. whew!

Michael

Where I see this info most useful is in the case where someone needs a center channel Cornwall, but doesn't want the hassle of trying to find a single or buy a pair to split up with someone else. I'm sure there's folks that want the challenge and feeling of accomplishment of building a pair, but like I said, I think the real value in this is the (relative) ease of creating a center channel.

I know I'm keeping an eye on this.

Tom

EXACTLY Tom, that was what I have been running into for two years. Either didn't get the bid on eBay, or the pair was too far away. Finally went to the build it yourself plan. However, I think it's getting difficult to find all the components. K55/600 or 601 being a particularly tough combination to find used. There's a set of K600 horns advertised, but they look like 700 Heresy models to me by the bolt pattern. I bought a set of components only to get one inop K57 driver. I'll probably have $500 in a single cabinet by the time I get my woodworking and veneer complete.

We may end up with useing Bob Crites Cornscala size low end box with either the 400 horn combination or trying to redesign a box with the Cornwall bass bin and utilize a more modern, Tractrix horn available from Klipsch. That runs into a xover difficulty finding a horn that will get down to the same point as the original Corns.

The point, I think, is to create a master plan so that a Cornwall can be built simply, economically, from readily available components. It's getting tougher by the week. Comments are certainly welcome. I'd like this to be a planning 'Labor of Love' so that other Cornwall and Khorn owners would have a suitable alternative for a massive center channel speaker. Single LaScala is too deep for many, Belle just plain hard to get, tougher to split, also difficult to build. That's why I think the CCC (Custom Cornwall Center) project deserves our attention.

Michael- or maybe I'm just crazy!

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear from you.

Yes I bougt the glue 3m77. Used it tonight. I like it.

The fabric from Parts Express considered "vintage" is 'Ok". It is somewnat "plastic" but does have the "vintage look". This stuff is rigid. There isn't much stretching. I does look good. It is very durable and I bet it would be easy to clean.

I am using a ton of clothes pins as stated before. It will set tonight. I will hopefully put in the "staples" and velcro pieces tommorow night. Then one will be done.

The pictures (except the glueing process) so far are on the thread "Cornwall grills".

jc

• 1 month later...

In the drawing, the front baffle or "motorboard" is 1/8" smaller on all four sides to acomodate the thick cane type grillcloth. If other materials are being used for the grillcloth, I think the baffle should be sized accordingly. Taking all of this in account, it looks like all versions of the Cornwalls have about the same exact measurements so... either type of cabinet can be built with the same dimensions. Just substitute the baffle for the verticals. If you are building two, just turn one of the baffles around for a mirrored pair, paint and cover.

Jim

• 1 year later...