eBay blown speaker

colterphoto1

Can anyone give advice on how to best handle this situation. I purchased the components from two Cornwall cabinets from a seller with the understanding (I think) that all speakers were operational. I hooked up each speaker individually today to test before I shipped DamonPayne his set of drivers. One squawker is inop. I know it's not the xover or connections, because I hooked up directly (don't worry, I didn't play Led Zeppelin through it, just a test tone) The other one works fine. Is it worth going after the seller or is it only moderately costly to have a new diaphram installed (BobC-- HELP). The guy was good enough to throw in a K77 tweeter at no charge that was listed as blown, so I got that for no $$.

Michael

Michael, i would tell the seller the same thing you just told us. one of the drivers doesn't work and it is going to cost roughly 90 bucks to get it fixed. if you are in fact talking abour a K-55V. last one i sent down to bob it cost 14 for shipping, 60 for the parts and 15 to install. Bob Crites does excellent work. see what the seller comes up with. all you can do is ask.

Yes Charles and Bob, it is the K57, I can't make out the letter suffix. I also have one K77 that is blown. Bob, can you give a quote for these items? thanks gang. I'm about through with eBay as well, and I just started. I'll write the guy and see what he says.

Oh, yeah on one of the xovers, model B3, there is a component in one corner, black plastic about 1.5 x 1.5 inches and the mounting tab was broken off, so it was just hanging by the wires. I was able to glue it to mount board though.

You've got to be soooo careful with these mail purchases. Frzninvt, I'm going to take your lead on shopping. You've given me some very good advice these past few months. Got to know when to 'walk away' from what looks like a good deal.

Michael

Just emailed seller on the speaker and checked his ad on eBay. Maybe this would help other buyers, but check out my Q&A with seller:

Questions from other buyers for this listing

Q: I would like to confirm that this 'item' is for two K55 horns AND drivers for Klipsch Cornwall speakers. I have placed a bid based on this assumption. Will you sell the two speakers complete as-is??? Thanks Answered on Nov-28-04

A: yes, they all have a working pair except the tweeter.

In the ad body, he just stated 'used' and did not say anything about the condition (which most sellers do not), however, in this Q&A, he was basically promising that everything was operational, even though I did not ask specifically, yes? (he is referencing the K77 as blown).

If I ever do another eBay, I'll be CERTAIN to ask specifically about condition in the Q&A section. You would hope that a sellers promise would be his warranty. Whether eBay would back you on it is another debate.

Michael

colterphoto1:

I feel your pain on being ripped by ebay...and they don't stand behind anything (neither does paypal)...the problem with ebay is you are completely at the mercy of the seller (and the seller is of the buyer)...if he/she is honest and you are...great deal...I have had good experiences with the 'bay but...if one is dishonest...getting ANY releif is a dream.

Good luck and let us know 'bout those speakers you're picking up!

Bill

Buying anything from eBay is a learning in how to prepare a Small Claims Case in theory.

Granted there are good Sellers.

BUT: (in my State: I have to note a disclaimer: I am not an Attorney, This is not legal advice. This is by experience of friends ways to protect yourself):

Make a couple of copies of the ad.

Ask questions via the system, make copies before sending.

Make Copies of answers received.

Pay by USPS Money Order.

Include a copy of the ad stapled to Money Order.

Keep all on a professional level. eBay has a "fraud prevention team."

If it looks odd photograph the box sitting with the headlines visible prior to opening.

Open, photograph again.

Compare what's received with copies of original ad and any response.

If there's a large not acceptable difference, email the seller and file a report with eBay. Kepp eBay appraised of all communication.

Get contact info. Name, address, City, State, Phone.

No resolution? File fraud with eBay. Hear from them. If needed file fraud report with local PD and PD in town of Seller.

See if you are eligible to file Small Claims in your city. If you can and the amount is enough, do so.

If you know that the Seller is actually a business, try filing a complaint with your State Attorney General Consumer Division, do the same in the State of the Seller.

Never send originals, only copies. If needed you can take a copy and the original to a Notary Public for Authentication, depending on your State guides.

If you win, file Judgement with your City,Town, County Clerk. Wait 15 days, file raisd copies in Seller's place of residence County clerk.

Neg the Seller. You'll get neg'd back but you can respond.

People are araid of negs if you neg. eBay needs to change that if you can prove problems.

It's a lot of work, but it's your money