Forte II's- To buy or not to buy?

jscott909

Hello all. First time poster here with a conundrum. A coworker is offering to sell me his 9 year old F-II's (very nice condition, not used very often, no visible flaws), and a KV-1 center channel for $200. I've tested the F-II's at my work, and all components appear to function properly. However, I've not had a chance to take them home to hook up to my rig (which is currently an Onkyo TXDS-494, Klipsch SB-1's for mains, SC.5 center channel, KSW-12 sub, and 2 Sony rears in a 13x 13 room). Being conscious of Klipsch's high quality, I want to fork over the cash immediately, but I've grown accustom to my current, small setup. Can anyone give me any advice as to why I should or shouldn't purchase these speakers? Or should I just take them home and let me ears make the decision (which is what I'm leaning towards, but if someone has any hints/advice, I'd be very appreciative to hear it).

Buy them. Period. You will want more of a center than the KV1 if you are using it for HT.

Compared to the SB 1's, well, actually there is no comparison.

In my old HT, I had Forte Main's, a KG 2.2 for the center, and SB1's as my surrounds. Not a bad set up.

I have 2.2's all they way around except for my mains now, and I love it. Very "live" and in your face.

----------------

On 1/26/2005 4:20:47 PM oldtimer wrote:

Ummm, what is your friend's phone number?

Second question: Are all of your friends this generous?

----------------

Actually, this coworker is technically my boss. Offering these to me at this price is his way of making up for all the extra footwork (and I'm using the most polite term possible) I have to deal with when he doesn't want to.

I'm taking them home with me tonight to see how they sound with my Onkyo (which is a pretty low powered receiver). Trust me fellas, I want them badly, but I'm not coughing up any cash till I get to hear them in my environment, with my music and films. If I don't buy them, you guys will be the first to know.

I will go you one better. I was talking to a friend at work who said he would sell me a pair of Fortes I. He said he got a pair of Bose 901s and didn't need them. He sold them for $80.00!!! He brought them to work the next day in the back of his pickup. It was starting to snow so we rushed them to my house (yes I had to stash them in the basement for a while). Both work fine and they are awesome. They are Walnut Oiled. They were a little beat up, but I nursed them back to health. Cabinets now look great. The only problem is they came with no grills but for $80.00, I can live with it. I didn't know how lucky I was until I tapped into this forum. I almost feel guilty....hee...hee...hee. Now I am on the hunt for a HK430. Currently I have an Adcom GFA555. Now I just hope I don't get kicked out of base housing.

OK, so you have earned them. This is like an option that you have a choice to exercise. Without getting graphic, I say to you that you should exercise this option. No matter what you eventually want to do you cannot go wrong. My opinion is that once you audition these in your home you will understand what we are all saying and figure it out for yourself.

Economically speaking, the Forte II speakers represent one of the highest BPD (buzz per dollar) values that you will ever find past or present. I bought mine brand new for 1400 in 1989, and I still maintain that it is the best 1400 bucks I have ever spent in my life for sound reproduction. Your mileage may vary.

SOLD! I really shouldn't have had any doubt about the F-II's (I grew up with a pair of La Scala's that are older than me at my Dad's house), but I thought the deal was too good to be true. My Onkyo had no problem pushing them to where they needed to be (and with less power than my former setup), rendering my KSW-12 useless for the moment, and now my SB-1 mains are my new rears. The KV-1 center gives much more clarity than my SC.5, but I have to crank it up because the F-2's drown it out.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.