Academy or KLF-C7 with Heresys

SilverSport

I know these questions seem beat to death...I did the search and there was a lot of information but not so much as it pertained to HT with Heresy mains.

If you could get either center channel for the same price-in the same condition-and not for re-sale (we know what Academys go for) what do you think would be the best math?

The KLF-C7 has a bit more efficiency, a bit less response, can handle a bit more power and has a different style horn...

I know the C7 was for the Legend series and the Academy was for the Heritage but several have mentioned that the Heresy is not REALLY the Heritage line so...you see my question...how 'bout your thoughts.

Thanks,

Bill

I keep hearing how Fortes are really Heresys with more bass (presumably from the passive radiator out back) if this is true, why wouldn't an Academy be a good center with Heresys as well as Fortes??? I ask your opinion because some of you have or had Heresys AND Academys as well as Fortes...I have heard the Academy center with Heresys although not properly spaced (someone trying them out) and I thought it sounded good...for that matter, the KLF-C7 sounded good as well but a bit more up front...

Thanks,

Bill

(perhaps I will finally realize that Heresys all over the place is the number #1 answer, what's number #2???)

Depending on which day, the time, ansers will be another Heresy, Academy or KLF C-7.

One can ask 100 people and receive 100 different replies.

Your ears will answer. But, sometimes the best match can be from another line.

Ther are so many factors and so many opinions that you have to listen and try for yourself.

Also how long has the center channel in question been used, what do they run it with, where is it placed, where do you sit, what are yor expectations, how much do you use it, what may be the bias in their recommendation, how are thr Heresys set up, etc..

These should be asked before a blanket endorsement.

The Academy is the in speaker. In a way that some hold as the holy grail, without fully testing other speakers. If people want timbre match one can modify others at a low price and spend the extraa toward stands, CDs, etc..

dodger

Thank you for your answer...I haven't listened to a Heresy as a center channel...I have heard the Academy and the KLF-C7...Yes, the Academy is the "in" speaker and sounded great (to me) with the Heresys...so did the KLF-C7...just makes me wonder what all the hubub is over the academy (other than the traditional match) of the Academy when the KLF-C7 is so close...and how much "better" the Heresy mihgt be...

Bill

----------------

On 1/27/2005 11:20:27 PM silversport wrote:

I keep hearing how Fortes are really Heresys with more bass (presumably from the passive radiator out back) if this is true, why wouldn't an Academy be a good center with Heresys as well as Fortes??? I ask your opinion because some of you have or had Heresys AND Academys as well as Fortes...I have heard the Academy center with Heresys although not properly spaced (someone trying them out) and I thought it sounded good...for that matter, the KLF-C7 sounded good as well but a bit more up front...

Thanks,

Bill

(perhaps I will finally realize that Heresys all over the place is the number #1 answer, what's number #2???)

----------------

Bill,

"Fortes are Heresys with more bass" is a metaphor.

Fortes and Heresys are not from the same line. They do not share the same mid and tweet like the Cornwall and the Heresy do. "Cornwalls are Heresys with more bass" is closer to being literally true. The Forte and the Heresy really do not sound very much alike. Fortes are smoother, not really laid-back, but certainly less agressive. They sit there and they say, "Here is the music."

Heresys are much more assertive in their sound. They jump up and say, "Hey! Here's the music!"

I like them both, but not as the front three for a home theater. Gotta go with one or the other there. Heresys are easier if you're starting from scratch.

I am not sure if this will help or confuse. FWIW here goes. I currently have a pair each of Chorus, Forte II, and Heresy. I have a lot of ear time with an Academy between KG4s and Forte II and a little bit of time between the Choruses. I have not had the chance to hear a KLF-C7 so take my ramblings with a grain of salt. As for the Academy IMHO it is worth every penny and more that they are getting on ebay. I only wish I had bought 100s back in 1993 rather then all that darn Microsoft stock (only kiddingI should buy stock instead of blowing all my cash on AV stuff)

In listening to the Heresy I totally agree with Olorin about the Politeness vs. the Aggressiveness WRT Forte/Heresy. For that reason I cant envision the Academy sounding all that great with Heresy mains. What is your time frame I might just set this up for a movie or two just to see for myself.

On a side note I did Chorus/Forte II/Chorus for a few movies and absolutely loved it. I think given the cost and hard-to-get-ness of the Academy if you were starting from scratch the best bang for the buck and ease (if you have the ability, room and desire) would be 5 Fortes. I liked the Forte so much as a center between my Chorus that I think ultimately I will end up with Chorus/Forte/Chorus up front and 3 Fortes across the back of my 6.1. So if any of you want to do the leg work for an Academy find a way to get a cherry set of Fortes to my door and I will give you one of my Academys.

Sorry for that detour. To get back on topic if you dont already have an Academy, it might not be worth the cost hassle to put one between Heresys. If you have the space below the TV or you are projecting; another Heresy or even Heresys all around might sound best.

Hope this helps, Rich

Not to sidetrack the thread, but it seems Popbumber and I are sharing a brain today. I'm in exactly the same camp regarding the sound of these speakers. I do like the Heresy sound better, just generally speaking. For music, though, the Fortes more complete sound trumps the Heresys more forward presentation. IMO, etc.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the Cornwall or Klipschorn is the ideal music speaker for me since I love that Heritage sound. The Heresys make such great HT speakers, though, because they have those wonderful Heritage attacks, yet they are still relatively small and easy to place. Since a subwoofer is just pretty much mandatory in a good HT anyway, the Heresys getting down to 60 Hz or so is Plenty Good Enough for me.

I'll bring it back aoround to on-topic. To me the Academy presents just like the Forte -- very smooth, very clear, not so much BLAM! as the Heresy. Me, I don't like the Heresy/Academy mix -- it seems to me the Academy between the Heresies takes something away from the sound. That's me and my room though. If you like it, no one should tell you not to use it.

Sharing a brain - hehehe - mine says it's time for lunch!!

...back on topic, the value in the discussion here comes from the fact that at least a few members have had a chance to evaluate a mix/match of several heritage and classic platforms. This is great because it provides an individual (like the initial poster) with better "ammunition" on choosing a speaker setup without having to procure lots of speakers and try them himself.

One experiment I've yet to perform is the "Cornwall with Academy"; perhaps I will get time this weekend. I expect POOR results from what I have gleaned in other conversations. Of course, if I will take the time to set up the Corns, I will probably also "bother" to put a Heresy II in the center to see what happens there.

Finally - having both the listening experience and some correlation to others's experiences, I would find it VERY interesting to create a "hybrid" speaker with donated parts from a Forte and Heresy (using Forte's bass capabilities, Heresy's mid/tweet capabilities, and a customized crossover to adapt both). This would be an extensive but worthwhile experiment, perhaps I will do it.

Popbumper

See? That wasn't SO bad was it??? I appreciate what you are all telling me...When my brother bought his Heresy IIs and thought of HT in the future, he was told to buy the Academy for a center (perhaps the closest center Klipsch was selling at the time? I dunno)...when he bought, Klipsch was no longer selling the Academy so he opted (with their recommendation) to get the KLF-C7...I have heard movies and music at his house on this combination and it sounds good to my ear...(maybe just THAT much better than TV sound but...you see where I'm going)...Now I have ventured into HT for the 1st time...I have the following:

Outlaw Audio 950 Processor

Outlaw Audio 7100 7 X 100wpc amp

1 pair of Heresys 1978 Vintage

1 pair of Heresys 1981 Vintage (soon to be in my possession I hope!)

1 pair of KSF-S5 surrounds (as I did not think I would find Heresys again)

1 KLF-C7 Center

1 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Sub

I will try the Heresy for a center to see how it sounds for my movies...I plan to listen to music in 2 channel unless I find I am "missing something" not listening in "multi channel.

I will set up my Nakamichi 2 channel in an upstairs bedroom, presumably with one of the pairs of Heresys (both originals so, 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other)

I have a line on an Academy...

I am trying to decide based on space used in a 11' X 18' viewing area (basement family room) and my intention was Heresy mains, Academy or KLF-C7 center (unless the Heresy center blows me away) and KSF-S5s for rear surrounds (up high, off the floor taking up less space) Unless rear Heresys "blow me away".

A month ago, I was buying Synergy F3 system and I made the jump here to the Heresy jungle ... so this was my thinking.

I really appreciate you all taking the time with sharing your experience.

Bill