Rebuilding of KLF Crossovers

rvincerob1

----------------

On 1/29/2005 11:14:47 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

It will cost more than leaving them as they are....and no, it will not make a huge difference, but you may be able to hear the difference.
----------------

Trey is right it won't make a huge difference if your pouring 200 nasty SS watts into your speakers. In fact rebuilding the crossovers with premium parts in Trey's case will probably make them sound worse LMAO !!! Your turn Trey old buddy 2.gif

Craig

rvincerob1

I'll help you out here. Dean did a set for my RF7s. While the changes were not the difference between night and day, there were some very nice differences. Some of the shrillness was reduced, they seemed to have better low frequency response. In my opinion, worth the money. Many others have purchased them and have been very happy. I suspect you will as well. Go for it!

• Klipsch Employees

Dean, I didn't mean to step on your toes...all the work I have seen Dean do is top notch, as is Craig's.

I do stick to my guns, upgrading parts only make small changes and allthrough small changes may can be heard, the difference is not huge.

I guess the question is, is it worth the money and time?

That is a question only the guy with the money can answer.

Now if you really want to make a difference, put the network on a board outside the cabinet...

12.gif12.gif12.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2005 12:24:10 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

Now if you really want to make a difference, put the network on a board outside the cabinet...

----------------

Oh? What do you mean by that? What are you talking about? How would that change anything? Or are you joking?

Would you believe I don't really have a problem with you stepping on my toes, and that I'm actually more concerned with stepping on yours? I want to be a partner in excellence with Klipsch, not an antagonist or advesary. Like I tell people, the upgrades work because the speakers sound good to begin with.

I appreciate you coming back in here with the clarification, and always appreciate anything you have to say or contribute. Now, that's all the sucking up you get until the next time you whack me.9.gif

----------------

12.gif12.gif12.gif
----------------

Funny that is just what I did !!

None of the improvements in audio are huge once you have a descent setup. Heck the difference between a $500 vintage integrated working properly and a $10K setup are not huge.

Craig

Craig,

That is why I respect you. Any guy who is selling custom-built, labor intensive amplifiers for $2500 or so and still says the difference between an old, cheap vintage amplifier and a 10K amplifier is minor doesn't allow his financial interests to overwhelm his integrity.

Still think you are FoS about a Bush or two...

PS. I just love when ol Dean gets all sensitive. He must have just received this months issue of Cosmopolitan.

Yeah, my feminine side is kicking in. Man, I hate it when that happens.

BTW, Craig is full of it. The differences are HUGE!

Hmmm. I don't know. "Huge difference", "big difference", and like descriptions don't tell us much. I get in my car and I can see just fine. Debbie gets in and tells me I need to clean the inside of the windshield. I think she's full of it, but I do it anyways. After I do it I'm like, "Yeah, O.K., I guess that was pretty bad." -- as I'm looking down into the grunge all over the paper towel. "Night and day difference"? No, but I can tell there is less glare, and things on the other side look clearer now.

Perception is everything.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 1:15:50 PM Anarchist wrote:

Craig,

That is why I respect you. Any guy who is selling custom-built, labor intensive amplifiers for $2500 or so and still says the difference between an old, cheap vintage amplifier and a 10K amplifier is minor doesn't allow his financial interests to overwhelm his integrity.

Still think you are FoS about a Bush or two...

PS. I just love when ol Dean gets all sensitive. He must have just received this months issue of Cosmopolitan.
----------------

Why thanks ! I'm absolutely serious about the differences. It's the same in any hobby the cost is reasonable to a point then to squeeze out that last bit gets real expensive. Heck audio is cheap compared to my former hobby Drag Racing. At least with audio you can recoup some or all of what you spend on resale if you buy right.

Deans crossovers are a cheap upgrade that gives a reasonable improvement for the $ he surely isn't going to retire off the profits. Me I'll probably still be soldering when I'm 75 I don't ever want to truely retire anyway just slow down a bit.

Craig

----------------

On 1/30/2005 12:29:55 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

----------------

Oh? What do you mean by that? What are you talking about? How would that change anything? Or are you joking?

----------------

Again I ask....

Trey doesn't strike me as the type to buy into this, but some believe isolating the networks from acoustic/mechanical vibration helps things out. Some believe capacitors are microphonic, and like tubes -- resonant when excited. Inductors as well, if vibrating -- supposedly have problems too. This is the reason I started mass loading my networks with a lot of hot melt, almost to the point of potting them. Sitting up late on the computer one night I ran across an article about it, and it was claimed that only ceramic caps are prone to this. Shortly thereafter I called Bob Crites, who told me he's spent his fair share of time banging on caps to see if the effect could be measured. He says, "no way."

My money is on Trey pulling our leg.

I suppose there is an off chance he was talking about the AK-4 -- which takes up about 10% of the bass bin area in the new Klipschorn. But I'm sure they accounted for that -- DIDN'T THEY??

----------------

On 1/30/2005 11:42:45 AM NOSValves wrote:

----------------

On 1/29/2005 11:14:47 AM Trey Cannon wrote:

It will cost more than leaving them as they are....and no, it will not make a huge difference, but you may be able to hear the difference.
----------------

Trey is right it won't make a huge difference if your pouring 200 nasty SS watts into your speakers. In fact rebuilding the crossovers with premium parts in Trey's case will probably make them sound worse LMAO !!! Your turn Trey old buddy
2.gif

Craig

----------------

Craig, You make it sound like my Speakers are crap. I couldn't more pleased with their performance. I especially love my SS Amps. If you are partial to Tubes that's cool, but don't hate my system. I fairly new to the audio/video hobby so I'll probably make some mistakes on what I buy, what I say and whose opinion/advice I listen to. Guys like you give this forum a bad name. You and Trey can go play with yourselves in someone eles's thread