New Runco projector. Give me some feedback pls.

IndyKlipschFan

Ok your projector pros.. This looks like a great deal, so tell me where I might go wrong here?

Runcos Newest Projector Offers Home Theater Luxury to All

World Class Video Technology Developer Introduces the CL-410 Projector, Introducing Unrivaled Picture and Exceptional Value to New Home Theater Enthusiasts

UNION CITY, CALIFORNIA January 8, 2005 Runco International Inc., the world leader in high-end home theater video display technology, introduced the newest addition to its Reflection Projector Portfolio, the CL-410. This advanced video projector achieves a new level of value for home theater enthusiasts who are looking to treat themselves to Runco Internationals touchstone picture quality and adaptablility. By combining a highly efficient optical light engine with broad installation and integration options, the CL-410 establishes a singular balance between performance and affordability.

With the introduction of the CL-410, Runco Internationals Reflection Series Projector Portfolio represents the most comprehensive line of products that offer breathtaking, cinematic images to viewers in markets across the board, said Bob Hana, president of Runco International Inc. With the CL-410, we can give even first-time home theater enthusiasts a red-carpet introduction to the features that have made Runco International the industry model for innovation. Our Enhanced GEN 3 technology, benchmark processing and scaling, and enormous light output make the CL-410 a package that is impressive enough to carry the Runco nameand at a value that is absolutely unprecedented.

Runcos Reflection Series CL-410 features Enhanced GEN 3 technology to produce deeper blacks, greater contrast ratio and brightness, and richly saturated color. Runco has implemented a host of advancements into the projectors light engine to take full advantage of its cutting-edge DMD chip.

Among the CL-410s features are a sophisticated color-balancing system that results in the industrys best gray scale tracking, and far surpasses the capabilities of CRT projectors. Accurate gray scale reproduction is vital to vibrant, true-to-life color reproduction, as well as superior black-level and white-level performance.

The CL-410 features a resolution of 1024 x 576, and supports DVI output from cutting-edge video sources, which ensures owners will enjoy years of spectacular widescreen image reproduction using advanced video sources. In addition, the projectors wide lens shift, variable throw distance, and keystone correction allow for flexible placement within virtually any theater environment, and use with a variety of film screen types. In addition, discrete IR and RS-2323 controls make it simple to partner the CL-410 with other audio/video components for the ultimate automated luxury theater experience.

The Reflection Series CL-410 retails for $3,495.

Interesting. Never thought I'd see "Runco" and "Affordable" in the same sentance, though. 11.gif

The only "gotcha" tha I can see is the resolution at 1024 x 576. Would be nice if it was 1280 x 720, which is at least "true" 720p HD resolution. But I'd doubt they could do that and still keep it at the around $3,500 price point.

Still sounds pretty impressive. Any chance to actually try out one of these?

Steve.. The rep at Ovation here in Indy was so excited, he almost attacked me at the door. LOL. They will have one here in Indy by March. So when I see it, I will let you know. He said up to 96 inches this is just killer. (Runco feels this is a fair price just at the threashold price where everyday people would jump in to considering Runco instead of a select few with $$.) Nice to see a leader intelectually constipated on itself..LOL, go and try and help out us "regular folks" enjoy some of the best too.

Ovation knows I am looking at many models.. and reading everything I can too. But I even have to admit, at that list price and who knows what the selling price is... Could be a great opportunity for sure.

The Runco - Stewart screen combo seems very very sweet in the "Firehawk" brand too.

Saw one of their older models set up in a special room at the local A/V store with about a 5 x 8 (rough) picture and it basically looked like crap. The HDTV's were about 100 times brighter and more vivid. Also saw commercial models at Damon's which took a forklift to install and they looked like crap also. They are not even close to film projection.

JJK

Indy,

I'm with Doug on this one. Check it out against the Panny AE700 and Sanyo Z3. Don't get me wrong Runco has a fine name. I had the honor of seeing one of the high-end ($10,000+) Runco's at one of the most highly respected HT design consultants in the industry. He lives here in Atlanta and invited me over to see his setup. It had been calibrated, was in a light controlled room, and was projected onto a top of the line Stewart ($2,500+) 110" screen. Everything driving it was top of the line equipment(and very exprensive). It should have knocked my socks off, but I could not see any improvement over competing projectors costing 1/2 of the Runco and I'm a very picky guy.

That was last summer. When the Panny AE700 and Sanyo Z3 came out, IMO they set the new standard in the bang-for-the-buck catagory that has yet to be surpassed. AE700's are about $2,100, Z3's a hundred or two less. The technology is constantly improving and will continue to do so. Shop the market when it is time buy. Forget brand names and buy the features you need. Your pocket book will thank you...9.gif As we all know Klipsch is the only "brand name" you can't live without...3.gif

If you would like more details about my experience, feel free to contact me.

Redtop

I know the Runco name but know nothing about that model. I have had a Sony hs20 for about a year with a $29 dvd player and I am thrilled with the picture. I am waiting for the hd-dvd players before I buy a new player. I am projecting to a home made 4x8 screen (parkland plastic I think) that is painted and wet sanded with grey automotive primer. The room is semi controlled but it still looks great in the middle of the day with plenty of light in the room. I tried the screen with only sanding the plastic but it was too bright. The primer and wet sanding gave it a flat finish that looks great from anywhere in the room. I paid about $2900 for the Sony and would do it again in a minute.

Hey Indy -

I'm with redtop and jjk, save yer pennies. My wife & I went into a A/V store just outside of Atlanta and in one of their very nice HT rooms they had a bottom of the line Runco (if you can call $6K bottom of the line) projecting onto a 96" Stewart screen and we were totally disappointed. My Klipsch dealer does a ton of custom HT work and I mentioned to my salesman friend about the disappointment with the Runco setup we saw. His response was something to the effect that even though Runco makes some nice stuff, they get more service calls for the Runco's they've installed than any other projector brand they carry. He said he'd install a Pany or Hitachi or Yamaha in his house long before a Runco.

Tom

This PJ sounds about like the BenQ 7800, which street price is way below that. Runco has a good name at a big price. But here is the kicker, They do not make many of their projectors. They will dress up an existing model maybe add a feature or two then call it their own.!!! BenQ makes a few of their PJ's. I own a BenQ 8700+ and love it at $4k. Pretty sure Runco has one in their line up with almost exact specs at 2x price.

If you are getting serious, If you have not yet. It is a must to become a member on AVS forum. Hang out in the Video Display area in the Projectors $3500 and up section.(it's 2nd best to the Klipsch forum) awesome.

I buy off of advise here, and did. For purchasing get great street prices and service from Projector People or Projector Solutions.

good luck

gib

Try the Panasonic AE700. It's got 2000/1 contrast ratio, extraordinary zoom capability, and it's HD. Pixelation is virtually non-existent. Lamp life is 3000 hours on standard and 5000 hours on cinema mode. It'll give competing DLP projectors a run for their money.

Oh, and it's cheap.