When to replace phone cartridge?

BillH2121

OK all you analog guys, I need some advice here. I have a Dual 510 TT with a Shure V15 cartridge (I don't know which specific V15 model it is). I bought the TT and cartridge new approx 30 years ago. I'm not ready to spend the money on an upgrade TT at this time - I'm getting ready to get my RF-7s DeanG'd for one thing. Is a cartridge something where there is constant degradation of performance over time - how do I know if it is performing as it should? I don't hear any particular problem, but I might have become used to slight degraded sound over time and not notice now. Further, the Shure replacement cartridge would be a major investment ($325 or so). Even a new stylus for that cartridge is pretty costly. Is it worth the money to replace or should I instead save money for upgrade TT? Thanks for any response.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 12:14:48 PM BillH2121 wrote:

I meant "PHONO" cartridge, not "phone" - sorry for the typo.

----------------

If it were me, at that price I would upgrade. The MM-5 is supposed to be good at a little over $500.00 with new cartridge.

dodger

I think it is fairly safe to say that a cartridge which is 30 years old is in need of a change - even if it is just the stylus.

Baring some miraculous situation surrounding your cartridge (like that light bulb that has been on for 70 years) I would expect there to be something of a dramatic improvement in the sound it produces.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 1:49:39 PM maxg wrote:

I think it is fairly safe to say that a cartridge which is 30 years old is in need of a change - even if it is just the stylus.

Baring some miraculous situation surrounding your cartridge (like that light bulb that has been on for 70 years) I would expect there to be something of a dramatic improvement in the sound it produces.
----------------

I don't know about that Max, I have Grado on my original table thats about 25 years old. My son uses it, to my ears it sounds fine for what it is. I would say if you hear no distortion in either channel and the sound is to your likeing, it is good. On the other hand if your just looking for a change, it being that old is a good justification to give something else a try.

Tom

I knew someone would pop up with a "I have this cartridge my great grand-daddy got on his wedding day ...." story...

Ok - there are exceptions - but generally speaking your magnets are probably mostly demagnetized, rubber is corroded and even if you have only used it on average 100 hours per year it has 3000 hours on it.

Most carts can be expected to last 1500 to 2500 hours give or take. (now prepare for the 7000 hour cartridge stories).

I guess if you played your cart next to a brand new version of the cart you would know for sure - (or Shure in this case).

I don't know that I doubt you Max but I just had a conversation with one of our local "high-end" audio stores to see if they knew of anyplace in Oklahoma City that carries phono cartridges. He gave me a toll-free number to call to order one and mentioned that he thought only the stylus needed replacing. He thought the only thing that could happen over time was that the cartridge would "open up" (whatever that means) and you would lose one or the other channel. Your explanation of degradation over time makes more sense to me though. However, that now brings me to the subject again of whether its wise to spend $320 to replace a cartridge on a 30 year old Dual TT.

The Dual is an OK table and if you are just getting your toes wet with vinyl again, why not buy a CHEAP phono cartridge and give it a whirl? Then, if you really like what your are hearing you can SELL the table and NEW cartrdige and buy yourself a brand new rig. You can buy a respectable phono cartridge for fifty bucks.

Something like this Goldring is all you need for the Dual:

GOLDRING ELAN MM PHONO CARTRIDGE 5.0 mVThis one is available for about 16-18 British Pounds on line--shipping should only be about $10.

From US Sources it might be $50-$60 plus shipping, It's a helluva cartridge for the price. Go for it.

I like to back-cue when recording and appreciate the short cantilever and anti-warp weighted brush of Stanton 681EEE. ANyone have a problem with my buying an exact replacement for my old Technics SL1700 direct drive?

Yes, I can hear the rumble.

No, I don't really care that much, had it since high school.

Yes Max, thanks for mentioned Mahler last week. GaryMD sent me a box-o-lp's and in it was a mint 3 disc set of Mahler's 3rd and 4th my NY Philharamonic. HEAVEN!

Michael

the Shure replacement cartridge would be a major investment ($325 or so). Even a new stylus for that cartridge is pretty costly.

---------------------------------------------------

A further problem is that Shure stopped making the V15 cart. They will be making the replacement stylus for about 5 years.

The V15 is a great cart (I use one), but I don't think I'd want to drop the $$$ on the Shure without knowing how hard it'll be to get the stylus replaced later.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 8:17:35 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Yes Max, thanks for mentioned Mahler last week. GaryMD sent me a box-o-lp's and in it was a mint 3 disc set of Mahler's 3rd and 4th my NY Philharamonic. HEAVEN!

----------------

I wonder if they're the ones I gave him a few months back! Recycling at work!

----------------

On 2/2/2005 12:13:25 PM BillH2121 wrote:

OK all you analog guys, I need some advice here. I have a Dual 510 TT with a Shure V15 cartridge (I don't know which specific V15 model it is). I bought the TT and cartridge new approx 30 years ago. I'm not ready to spend the money on an upgrade TT at this time - I'm getting ready to get my RF-7s DeanG'd for one thing. Is a cartridge something where there is constant degradation of performance over time - how do I know if it is performing as it should? I don't hear any particular problem, but I might have become used to slight degraded sound over time and not notice now. Further, the Shure replacement cartridge would be a major investment ($325 or so). Even a new stylus for that cartridge is pretty costly. Is it worth the money to replace or should I instead save money for upgrade TT? Thanks for any response.

----------------

Are you guys kidding me?

When I was into analog....ONCE a YEAR.....MAX...

What do you boys listen too??

When I did analog....Once a year..Max...

WIthout stealing the thread (it's about LP's!), there is some magic in a garage sale find or getting a 'care' package of LP's from someone and unearthing a few musical gems for about $1 per LP! Plus it SOUNDS BETTER THAN CD. I'm starting to get old school, not sure that's a bad thing.

Michael

have it looked at by a qualified person with a microscope

you can send it to shure for inspection if you dont have anyone near you ive done this with shures and grados takes a little turn around time but they didnt charge me anything and you will have the expert advice you need buy a cheap cartridge for back up its always good to have at least two anyway

joe

Colter,

I'm not sure it was me that mentioned the Mahler. I dont remember anything.

Having said that I am not the biggest fan of Mahler - I only listen to symphonies 3 and 5 usually so a rec for 3 could have been by me I suppose. Glad you like it anyway.

fini,

Still waitin' for the albums.....

Actually still waitin' for the table too....

As for the question of buying a Shure at over $300 for an old dual - probably not. Allan's idea seems to be the best.

----------------

On 2/2/2005 3:22:27 PM maxg wrote:

Most carts can be expected to last 1500 to 2500 hours give or take. (now prepare for the 7000 hour cartridge stories).

----------------

Hah, a mere 7000 hours? I have the "Googlephonic Turntable with the Moon Rock Needle", lasts forever. A comedian friend of mine turned me on to it back in the late 70s.2.gif