Bryston vs. B&K Amp For RF-7

klipschmnfan

Hi,

I know that both of these amps are terrific and some people on the forum have said that the B&K go together with the RF-7s like "milk and doughnuts!"

Just curious what people would recommend for two channel listening? The specs between the two companies/amps are very very close.

Would be looking at the 3BSST or 4BSST (150/300 watts respectively) or the new B&K Reference 200 watt monoblock Series 2 amp.

Thanks much!

Both brands are good. Bryston carries the 20 year transferable warranty. B&K has a warm sound.

The monoblocks will have more output devices per channel, a better power supply and the ultimate in channel separation.

The RF-7s like lots of clean power. I use a Sunfire Signature Stereo amp for my mains and a 5 channel Sunfire CG II for the other channels.

Try to listen to both brands with your RF-7s. Let your ears help decide.

Bill

Texas42:

Interesting to see that you've got some Optonica gear. Don't know anyone else who does.

I've got a SM-4305 integrated amp(40 wpc)and a ST-4405 tuner that I've owned since 1980. Nice stuff - now powering my garage system.

I've always really liked the simple, clean design of the Optonica line. Never understood why Sharp discontinued their high end line - maybe it was being confused with the Rat Shack Optimus stuff.

By the way, I agree with the B&K ST140 recommendation. Picked one up used a few years ago for $150 and couldn't be happier with it.

James

I had a Bryston 3B-ST on my RF-7's for a short time, and thought it sounded incisive and two dimensional. I also had a B&K 2240 on my RB-5's for a while, and thought it sounded milky and thick. If you want to go the high power route, I think you should opt for a used Aragon 8008ST, or a new Aragon 8008 MK II. Great sound, but even still -- the best overall sound is going to be achieved by an all tube set up.

I actually liked the Rotel RB-1090 amp for the Klipsch RF-7 better than

Bryston or B&K. The combo sound that the Rotel RB-1090 and Klipsch RF-7

gives is absolutely stunning. If you read others running this combo

they all say the same thing. I wasn't originally looking at Rotel but

I got a lot of help here on the Klipsch forum to go with the Rotel RB-1080

or RB-1090. I went with the RB-1090 and I'm very pleased. I listened to

a lot of amps out there for a lot more money and none sounded as good as

the RB-1090. The RB-1090 also has one of the largest soundstage, it's huge

compared to some of the other amps. It's almost like the Rotel and Klipsch

were made for each other. Once again, I thank all of you here that

recommended Rotel to me, I have absolutely no regrets and very happy with

the direction people here pointed me toward! Thank You, much appreciated!

Kevin.

• 4 years later...

Can anyone recommend a preamp for the B&K ST-140?

It would be nice if it had digital input since my source is a pc soundcard, but not absolutely necesarry. I don't care about home theatre processing or anything more than 2-channel. I don't even need treble and bass control come to think of it, since I can control all that from the pc.

Here is a preamp that has a built in DAC, and a CD player. CD Pre24. I have one in my office. This is a steal at this price. They were about $3000 new and usually sell for $1200 to $1400:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatran&1240611742&/Musical-Fidelity-cd-pre-24-pre

The Built in DAC is the same as the A3.24, which was a class A component in 2002. I have one of those on my music server and it sounds great.

Hi,

I know that both of these amps are terrific and some people on the forum have said that the B&K go together with the RF-7s like "milk and doughnuts!"

I don't know about Bryston, as I've never got the chance to try them, but I'll admit that I absolutly love how well the B&K sounds with my RF-7s. In my case, I have a Reference 200.7 amp. That being said, I would be willing to bet the Bryston will also be quite nice with them as well.