Klipschorns + Belle + HDTV =

DTLongo

Nirvana. At the age of 62 I have achieved a childhood audiophile's dream. Of course HDTV did not exist back then, but Klipschorns did.

The attached pic pertains. '03 Klipschorns, an '04 Belle center, not visible in the pic are RS-35 surrounds flanking the sofa and a Velodyne S-1500R servo subwoofer in a back corner.

I don't want to sound maudlin about this, but more than once I have stood in that doorway from where the pic was taken and contemplated that wonderful array and said, "lucky me." Those beautiful speakers are sculptures in their own right, in addition to what they do sonically. (continued)

post-10590-13819261578704_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic from another angle.

For those interested, the TV is a Pioneer 50" model PDP-5040HD, purchased two weeks ago at Best Buy on sale for a penny under $5,000. That was a great price for a plasma HDTV of that size (still a lot of money). It comes with an outboard media center, visible on the lower right shelf in the photos, which includes HDTV and analog tuners and switching for other inputs so that only the power cord and a control cable go into the plasma display itself. HDTV is really as good as it's said to be. With a good signal source, it is virtually photographic, almost three-dimensional.

The digital cam with which I took the two pics is a Nikon Coolpix 8400, unique in its field because of its zoom wide-angle lens. It gets down to 24mm (35-mm equivalent), which is great for room shots like the one attached and for landscapes, etc.

post-10590-13819261581324_thumb.jpg

Very nice! My only recommendation would be to dump the RS's in favor of some Heresy's or something from the extended Heritage line. You will notice an immediate improvement in the rear response. Your front array is awesome so why not have some equivalent in the back.

If the room does not allow it that is understandable but I would find a way to make it work somehow.

That Velodyne sub you have is the F-1500R if I am not mistaken I don't think that they made an S-1500R. I have two of those subs in my system and they go very low and a super clean sounding. No muddy bass here folks.

You are right, the sub is a Velo F-1500. Sorry for the misprint.

To match the very efficient Klipschorns the sub needs to be set only at a low volume. Even on the most intense explosions, etc. stuff at loud volume one has the impression that the whole system is just loafing. On classicial music - cellos, double basses, timpani - the sound is luscious and enveloping. And sooo clear. Stravinksy had fun during his Pulcinella suite with a blaring blatting growling rumbling duel between trombones and double basses. Quite something to hear!

• 3 months later...

No they don't. The Khorns are built so solidly they themselves vibrate very little even at loud volume. Other things in the house some distance away do vibrate from sympathetic resonances. But at such levels the overall sound loudness drowns out those nuisances.