Bluegrass tonight........

Tom Adams

Right on, Tom! I'm taking my wife to see Tony Rice and Peter Rowan on the 20th. As a coincidence, the first time I saw Tony Rice live (probably 10-15 years ago, at the Great American Music Hall in SF, a fabulous venue), a young female fiddle player opened for him...

----------------

On 2/3/2005 11:45:27 AM Tom Adams wrote:

I hope after watching her live DVD, we aren't disappointed. Somehow I don't think we will be.

Tom

----------------

No, you won't be disappointed. One thing I've noticed about acoustic (bluegrass) acts on that level.. Del McCory, Kentucky Thunder, Tony Rice, Doyle Lawson, Bela Fleck(and the list goes on and on)....

They really have a great time playing, and why wouldn't they? To have sounds like that pouring out of you must be a blast!

Woo

TR and PR. 2 of my all-time favorites!

I saw "Old And In The Grey" play about 3 years ago with Vasser Clements, Pete Rowan and David Grisman (used to be "Old And In The Way" back in '73 with Garcia on banjo. They were unbelievably good. This place was so small we sat with their families about 2 tables back from the stage. Vasser's daughter kept yelling at him during breaks about stupid little things. It took much restraint to keep from saying, "Stop it! Don't you know who that is????" I think he's about 80 now but still plays a mean fiddle!

----------------

On 2/3/2005 3:26:03 PM garymd wrote:

with Vasser Clements, ....I think he's about 80 now but still plays a mean fiddle!

----------------

He's one of the featured players on Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet, v. 2.. the bluegrass sessions.

Wonderfully recorded, hot hot hot!

Wooo.

(do you have room in your heart for the 5 string banjo?)

I've been to two free Bela Fleck shows. Absolutely rockin'!

Tom,

Whenever I hear Douglas play I want to use my Dobro for a barbeque grill.

Listened to Krauss on NPR, live in the studio. So good, soooo tight. And she gets prettier all the time too.

The lists could go on and on. And these shows won't blow your ears out (maybe Bela Fleck). His album Drive is very good and an early one.

Marvel

I cannot BELIEVE that you guys are talkin' blugrass... John's favorite things in the world were his HT (with all Klipsch), his F250 extended cab, and his bluegrass banjo. Well, and some expensive tools, like the one posted a few weeks ago on this forum. I have pictures of him with Del McCory & Rhonda Vincent, both taken at the Strawberry Park Festival in Connecticutt. Some of my favorite discs, are The Cache Vally Drifters, "White Room", Old & In the Way, "Breakdown", and The Seldon Scene, "Live at The Cellar Door"...

He would've really liked this forum.

Yes, I've seen Doc a couple of times. Awesome performer. The last time was with Grisman. We're not huge Bluegrass fans, but we did have a Bluegrass band (The Good Ol' Persons) play at our wedding 18 years ago. I think you can listen to samples via the link. We even got our first daughter's first name from the bass player (Bethany Raine)!

----------------

On 2/3/2005 9:25:20 PM lcragan wrote:

I cannot BELIEVE that you guys are talkin' blugrass... John's favorite things in the world were his HT (with all Klipsch), his F250 extended cab, and his bluegrass banjo. Well, and some expensive tools, like the one posted a few weeks ago on this forum. I have pictures of him with Del McCory & Rhonda Vincent, both taken at the Strawberry Park Festival in Connecticutt. Some of my favorite discs, are The Cache Vally Drifters, "White Room", Old & In the Way, "Breakdown", and The Seldon Scene, "Live at The Cellar Door"...

He would've really liked this forum.

----------------

You're on it. Welcome.

He's on with you.

Win

Bluegrass is awesome, I love Tony Rice, Peter Rowan, Doc Watson and Sam Bush. If you want to have an excellent day you should check out a local bluegrass fest in your local area. There are several in the Western PA area.

Gary did you like the Bela Fleck CDS?

A friend of mine here at work is a "gee-tar pick'r" and kicks around with some local Bluegrass players and mentioned these guys:

http://www.iiirdtymeout.com/

He said if I really like the Bluegrass harmony sound of Alison Krauss, I'd really enjoy these guys. His comment was that their harmony will give your goose bumps goose bumps!

"Hi-ho, hi-ho...it's off to the music store I go....."

1.gif

Tom

I never heard of Bela Fleck untill I seen him play with Gov't Mule on the deepest end dvd. Excellent I am starting to get into some bluegrass. Just need some bands( or tunes to download) to check out because I don't like all of it. Bela I will have to check out. Allison and Union station is great. Jack White( not sure if thats his name) do a tune on the soundtrack to Cold Mountain? Anyways I like it if he did.

----------------

On 2/4/2005 12:30:03 PM kuisis wrote:

If you want to have an excellent day you should check out a local bluegrass fest in your local area. ----------------

I agree. I wasn't much into bluegrass, until I went to the festival at Strawberry Park in CT. It's held every year in May, Memorial Day weekend or the 1st weekend in June, I think. It's a family campground and EVERYONE there is awesome, and there are pickers and little jam sessions going on all over the place, like 24/7. Band members warm up by jammin' with the people, it's awesome.