Plasma TV or Projector?

tungitek

BY Plasma I assume you mean LCD pixels. Sometimes they go bad, and you will always see the dot, trust me. As time goes on others will appear.. Eventually many earlier people are seeing this too.. screen whites, seem yellow.. And get worse. And forget about re gassing them. (ask griff, this just seems silly IMO)

DLP projectors do not give off (as of yet) the blackest of blacks. Many go to "gray type" Stewart "Fire hawk" for example screens. For 90-99% of the public this is the answer screen wise and a home run. Bulbs last 2,000 to 6,000 hrs 200-400 dollars to replace. You do get incredible sharpness and great vivid color. You can also run video games or your computer without fear of anything "burning" in an image.

CRTs give off better blacks.. They can be found cheap on the internet used. Parts sometimes are a major hassle to find, the CRT projection business is basically going towards DLP and LCD projectors, even if the purists prefer CRT's more.

Take what I said with a grain of salt. While I feel what I said all to be true... and I read a LOT about this in magazines go to audio high end stores to question for my own dream system soon this summer, everyone has their own opinion too. This is based on consumer models.. say 2k- 14k If your talking 20- 100K .. Or for that matter I am sure some super specked outfit from Lucas will show up for 1 mil+ to also give you THEIR stuff too. hahahaha

Let the comments begin!

Guest Anonymous

well here are some things to note about plasmas:

1. they are really bright

2.The blacks are not nearly as good as a crt

3.They are pixel based and therefore prone to pixel burn

4.They have a half life of abou 27,000 vieiwiing horus the same as a crt, so the myth of recharging the gas is crap

5.There is only about 12 factories of plasmas and therefore most companies are made by everyone else. for example, hitachi makes all sony's hd, but panasonic makes hitachi's ed set...

6.My recomendations for a plasma. Hitachi UltraVision hands down the absolute best picture under 10 grand.

I'm not to sure that a plasma and a projectore can be compared fairly because they pro's of the plasma are the cons of a projector and vise-versa

a projector can get a huge screen, but looses its brightness compared to the plasma, a projector can last forever if you change the bulbs which only have a viewing life on average of about 2500 hours and they cost about 200 bucks, an lcd projector may not have the best colors compared to a plasma, and the dlp projectors have a moving color wheel. I think that you need to choose if you would rather have a big screen or a nicer picture. (that is not to say a projecotr can not look better than a plasma, because a good projector will look better than a cheap plasma or an ok for that matter) also a projector will not be the best if it is ever in direct light.... anyways i would highly reccomend a dlp projector personally, I think the picture of a dlp are a little better. Also when looking at dlp projectors try and find out what dlp chip is in them, because there is a huge difference between an hd+ chip and an hd2++ chip the latter is a much better chip. You can find out more about the quality of chips by doing a simple search in google!

Guest Anonymous

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

that is an estimated average, between what mos people say and manufacturers under normal viewing conditions

The lifespan of plasma TVs is measured relative to the half-life of its phosphor gases. Half-life is the point at which plasma manufacturers posit that the picture brilliance has diminished enough to make a very noticeable difference in picture quality (and possibly merit replacement). Half-life, then, is the true halfway point in the lifespan of the product. Since these gases decay at a constant rate, the color intensity of your TV picture will decay at a rate equal to that of its phosphors. Think of this as phosphoric dissipation. Beginning the moment you turn your plasma TV on, the phosphors encased within its screen begin to slowly dissipate, so less and less of the total phosphoric content is available for ignition. This affects the display's brightness and color saturation levels. After 1000 hours of use, the plasma monitor should have retained about 94% of its original brightness level. After 15,000 to 20,000 hours, the monitor should measure about 68% of its out-of-the-box brightness. Which is to say, about 68% of the phosphors in the TV will be ignited to produce an image. Much also depends upon the contrast ratio setting used to view the unit. If you want a plasma TV to last longer, simply decrease the CONTRAST option in the menu settings. If you tweak the CONTRAST to 100%, you should expect to burn its phosphors out at an increased rate.

As for the specific life spans of individual plasma display units, most manufacturers contend that their TVs last approximately 30,000 hours before reaching their half-lives under "normal" viewing conditions (i.e., with the CONTRAST set at around 50%). Recently, several manufacturers, most notably Sony and Panasonic, have begun to claim that their newest plasma display panels now have half-lives of 60,000 hours. I, for one, am a bit skeptical of such assertions, if only because this would represent a 100% increase in the life of the product. While I realize that much is being done to increase the life spans of plasma TVs (such as increasing the resiliency of green phosphors), I'll believe these figures when I see them achieved in real life, not just theoretically.

From the consumer's perspective, though, the 30,000-hour figure should be comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in perspective: Assuming the average American household watches 4 to 6 hours of television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck.

I can't speak on plasmas, but I have been running a projector for the past year or two. There are a few key things to decide to if a projector is right for you. First and formost, you really need a light controlled room.Even with every expensive screens, the best picture is obtained when its DARK! Second, the biggiest debate, LCD or DLP? I have an LCD screen, some are annoyed by LCDs because if you sit too close you can see the pixel structure and contrast ratio is not as good as DLPs (but advances in technology have significanly improved LCDs). DLPs annoy some because there is a color wheel that makes red, green, and blue colors, some people notice the flicker. You MUST go demo both DLPs and LCDs and find out which technology is less annoying to you (and the wife). I did this and a $10k projector almost made me puke because of the rainbow pattern created by the color wheel (and it had a fast color wheel 5x if i remember correctly). But each person is different, so only you can decide. Third, you need to decide which format, 4x3 or 16x9. Frankly, this should be easy...if you watch alot of movies or HDTV...get the 16x9. Probably the last and almost as important as #1, you need to decide where you are going to put the projector. The projectors only have a limited range to increase or decrease the image size. This could probably be the single most significant factor in choosing the projector for you.

You can look alot of info up at Projector Central (www.projectorcentral.com)

Hope this helps....

-Dave

Here. I'll lay out both for you.

Plasma:

Pros - Razor-sharp picture, low profile, zero maintenance.

Cons - limited lifespan (12,000 hours is a more accurate half-life, based on independent testing), limited size, high initial investment.

Projection:

Pros - Virtually unlimited screen size, extremely low profile.

Cons - maintenance (bulb replacement is frequent, relative to other screen technologies), get-what-you-pay-for picture quality (truly great large-screen picture requires a high initial investment)

Basically the above is more to disagree with the idea that a high-quality projection system isn't capable of delivering large (80+ inches) screen sizes without sacrificing picture quality. If you're willing to make the investment, you'll get movie-theater picture quality. Even 7 inch CRT projectors are fully capable of filling a 120" diagonal wall with lifelike pictures - but CRT projectors will put a hammer on your wallet pretty quickly, too....

something that hasn't been mentioned yet.... is the fan noise from a projector...

unless you have some way to enclose your projector and reduce the fan noise, i would never buy one...

i had a chance to visit a local dealer's house and do some listening on his home system.... $12,000 dali main speakers, $10,000 plinius multichannel amplifier.... and the associated equipment was comparable....

yet the thing that i noticed the most was the fan noise from the projector that was right above the couch....

personally, i want to win the lottery so i can afford the 61" mitsubishi plasma!!!.... WOW!... what a great picture!!!!.... and last i checked it had come down in price to only $12,999

9.gif

For me, a projector was never an option. The picture throw length was too far (25' plus) and the room was too bright. After doing some research, I picked the Panny 50" HD-capable.

I'll make this comment. I sit 12' from the display and an HDTV picture is just beautiful. A DVD picture is just beautiful. The resolution and "see through the window" PQ is amazing. However, looking at a normal OTA 4:3 picture is painful because the signal is just "okay". IMHO, the HD standard can't be implemented soon enough.

By the way, plasma is a different technology from LCD (TFT active). They compete with each other, but are presently dominating different form factors (LCD supports smaller TV's, plasma supports larger). The LCD encroachment is only helping to accelerate the decline of plasma prices so it's good for the consumer.

"Next house" will have a windowless media room for movies, TV and music. Look for a projector and screen there, but the plasma will be on a wall somewhere pulling duty (living room or kitchen).

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

Bruins - the first-gen sets didn't even last that long. I watched one deteriorate on the showroom floor a lot faster than 10,000 hours - and that was the first-gen 50" Pioneer (not the Elite) - Deterioration of brightness happened within 10 months of installation - which would be a net total of approximately 3600 hours - a far cry from the 20,000 hours the manufacturers claim...

The manufacturers are willing to say anything to sell their products. Take it to the bank that they do little, if any, testing prior to shipment, other than the basic QC - insuring that the thing isn't DOA out of the box...

Guest Anonymous

well i disagree when you have the brightness turned up all the way up and of course it will die faster and most people never change it because they do not know any better, ir eally think out of the newest generation of plasmas you could probably get 20 grand out of them... i think so

i forgot about the noise of a projector too! thats a valid point for sure!

----------------

On 2/4/2005 2:48:46 PM Gramas701 wrote:

well i disagree when you have the brightness turned up all the way up and of course it will die faster and most people never change it because they do not know any better, ir eally think out of the newest generation of plasmas you could probably get 20 grand out of them... i think so

i forgot about the noise of a projector too! thats a valid point for sure!

----------------

If you cut the brightness down, you lose that beautiful picture everyone raves about, and certainly you lose the picture superiority over projection...

Guest Anonymous

having it up all the way doesn't make it good either though, i think that if you "tune" your tv you can get a better picture and have it last longer and for those that do not know how to tune a picture they can buy a kit for 40 bucks and i don't see how that is a bad deal!

----------------

On 2/4/2005 3:01:23 PM Gramas701 wrote:

having it up all the way doesn't make it good either though, i think that if you "tune" your tv you can get a better picture and have it last longer and for those that do not know how to tune a picture they can buy a kit for 40 bucks and i don't see how that is a bad deal!

----------------

Fair enough - except that the manufacturer lifespan claims are based on 50% brightness, 50% contrast. This defeats the entire advantage plasma would have over projection - bright room environments demand higher brightness settings to overcome the ambient room light - so if I use the "advantage" plasma has over projection to overcome a bright room, I'm basically killing my TV.

Oh - and we ran that Pioneer at about 75% brightness, because 100% is definitely overwhelming. We kept it at near 100% contrast, however, because the images were really underwhelming next to the CRT HDTV's at anything lower...

----------------

On 2/4/2005 11:35:49 AM minn_male42 wrote:

something that hasn't been mentioned yet.... is the fan noise from a projector...

unless you have some way to enclose your projector and reduce the fan noise, i would never buy one...

----------------

Actually, that's easier than you think. I build small soundproofing boxes for projectors all the time - all it takes is about 8 board-feet worth of strapping (1"x3"), some Rockwool or rigid fiberglass, and some nice fabric that matches the room color to enclose. No more fan noise, and a nice looking box on your ceiling instead of a big ugly projector...

Go with the Projector if you have light control and a decent sized room. I spent the same on my 46" plaz as my DLP PJ with 118 inch diag screen. each serves it's purpose at my house. But it is the BIG screen that gives the WOW factor to guests.

One downfall I have with the PJ is that I don't use it as much because it is not good for it to be powered up and shut off for 10, 20 or 30 minutes. Pretty much throw in a DVD for 2 hrs and turn it off, Or catch Sportcenter after movie for a bit on HD ESPN.

good luck