FL Corn trip done, am I stupid?

colterphoto1

Hey JT, I'll agree that digital is beginning to look as 'sharp' as 35mm, but there is a also a two-dimensional quality and lack of color depth about the images that I think is still far inferior to film. I prefer to the the image correct in the camera and not have to stay up all night with photoshop as my digital colleagues have to. Also, I use Hassleblad, so my film is about 2 1/2 time larger than 35mm. Digital has a LONG way to go before it catches up with medium format. FIlms still works best.

I'm still loving the Cornwalls. THey will get their photo session today! Smile Babies!

Michael

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know about film still being best. I have seen photos from the new Cannon enlarged to about 11x14 and the results are stunning. Slide quality colors, not flat looking at all, the information in that image would easily go to 60 inches.

I have all but abandoned film (and I have 2 pro bodies) I still have my large format 4x5 but the new digital is indeed awesome. BTW, you can still do the image properly in the camera and not bother with photoshop at all. The cameras look, feel handle and perform just like film. I used to say that digital was not up to snuff but with the equipment today......

Digital has improved tremendously these past few years, but since you're still using Hasselblads (the official camera of NASA), I can see your point, Michael. Medium to large format film still reigns supreme...maybe in the not-too-distant future Poloroid film backs for Hasselblads, Mamiyas, and Yashicas will turn digital. Should be interesting.

Looking forward to your Cornwall pics...2.gif

----------------

On 2/8/2005 7:00:26 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

thanks again all, who would have thunk (thought?) that purchasing a 40-year old pair of Klipsch Cornwalls would generate 500 views?

Michael

----------------

I think it has more to do with snippets of the title

... trip done .... am I Stupid?

We all see a bit of ourselves in that. 3.gif

Forrest

thanks woodog, I'll remember to be a bit more poetic in my thread titles from now on. It's like good locker room talk for old guys- discussing my latest 'conquest' with y'all.

btw, four Mighty Cornwalls in a 17 x 30 room can be very invigorating!

Michael

Colterphoto: Just for a high one, try inverting and stacking the cornwalls as the left and right main channels ie: tweeter to tweeter. Use a tea towel or like between the cabinets to keep the good ones from getting scratched. A thin rubber shelf liner would work the best even.

Make sure that the same channels are utilized on both stacks, you could also use one of your pa amps to run the other left and right cornwalls, just tee the pre-outs on the reciever if you are already using one outboard amp.

Try it out if you feel like and let us know about your subjective results.

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I might do this sometime before the refinishing begins.

btw, there is no 'good' pair. My old ones survived a house fire and the recent additions look like they were dragged through gravel.

Questions:

How many guys and kegs of beer does it take to accomplish such a stacking manouver?

What outcome should I expect except to have the hair blown clean off my body?

Michael- say, this IS fun, isn't it?

Much better than that nasty RSW15 thread in the Home Theatre Forum...

About stacking Cornwalls... I did this at the recommendation of IB Slammin.

I have my four Cornwalls in service as a PA system at my church. The room is about 35 feet across and about 25 feet deep. Big Room!

It takes two guys (or one foolishly macho guy). The result?

Well, yeah, you can get really really loud, but you can do that anyway... what you DO get is an incredible soundstage in the sweet spot with a (hmmmm.. how to say it?) specific intensity in the bass frequencies.

Tweeter to tweeter stacking worked best. Sound was more muddy stacking tweeter to woofer.

Too bad I couldn't leave them like this. Aesthetically, for the space, it didn't work. But the sound was perfect!

Try it, you'll like it.

Forrest

Mike I do not have your phone number.. call me on my cell.

I do have a digital cam...I can take pics if you like and post em for you... I am what, 20 min away??

As far as what people have said. I would in a heartbeat get someone like Gregg to do your re finishing... Make them look brand new if not better than brand new. I feel his work is that good! Go get new grill cloths.. keep everything stock yes... but get the cabinets done the way and look that YOU want, and be perfect too.

If you need help lifting, I am also here. It is not the weight guys... Mike and I are both strong people...

And have done this in our youth easily 100's of times with band PA's DJ shows..trust both of us. They are, however, bulky... 4 hands makes em seem light and no worries about hernias as well. Hahahahaha

Last, but not least, no your dive to FL was amazing, and the trip well worth it. Especially if you like the sound when all said and done.. This IS the only reason to do things like this. Can you imagine nieces and nephews, maybe your own kids and Klipsch fanatics.. appreciating your devotion to your love of audio too... Then seeing their jaws drop when they HEAR it too? Priceless..

So call me

Roger.

ZAPPER- get the drool bib ready!

With Anvil road cases no less (like they REALLY need them) These will easily fetch $1500 per pair. They are beauties, but I've overpaid enough for this year. Thanks for tip, I'll see how it goes. Forgot to see where they are located. My bet is California, all the good stuff is out there!

Michael