Sad, sad news...

ben.

I was at a Jimmy Smith show at Catalina's in Hollywood about ten years ago--it was a quartet with the late, great Teddy Edwards on tenor. Anyway, in the middle of the second set Smith started waxing about the decline of the B3 and that there weren't enough young guys coming up. Anyway, he called a kid up out of the audience who couldn't have been more than 12-13 years old and let him play "Back at the Chicken Shack" for about 5 minutes. Jimmy just stood there beaming and clapping his hands.

I heard him live about a dozen times over the past 25 years and he was ALWAYS a gas.

DAMN!

"Drinks! Drinks for all my friends!" Line exclaimed while Smith's "The Sermon" played in the sound track to "Bar Fly." Old friends from Detroit told tales of Smith at the Bluebird wringing wet, lost in the ecstacy of jazz performance taking the towel from around his neck and at the height of frenzy snapping it at the keyboard, then jumping back on board like James Bond getting behind the wheel of a moving boat in some crazy scene on the Detroit River to light up a blues run down the length of the keys, then grabbing that Ivory beast by the throat, making it stand up and exclaim like a preacher saving the world from the doors of hell, all the while kickin' the bass and all that Motor City grime right down the bar room drain..... Now comes the quiet.

...If that quote doesn't send chills up your spine and put a tear in your eye you have no heart for music at all. Mr Smith was one of the greats, an extraordinary showman with more soul than a roomfull of James Browns. And the sounds he would extract from that great electronic beast, sweating profusely all the time. "Lost in the ecstacy of jazz performance" is such a truism here. The only other man I've seen come close to mastering the mighty B3 would be Jon Lord from Deep Purple, but even he seems elementary compared to Smith. Rest, rest rest in peace sweet prince. We will spin your vinyl tonight for sure.

Michael

Along with several other Incredible LPs, I have five copies of Fourmost. The thought of not having a clean copy of that date, at my immediate disposal, is way too negative.

JimmyS1.jpg

I recall Allan saying that Jimmy Smith was a National Treasure. No argument from me!

NPR here in S. Fl (WLRN, 91.3) played non-stop Jimmy Smith last night from 8:15 till midnight. (Evening Jazz with Glenn Paise, it's weeknight show local to this station.)

Now I remember why I still have a tuner in my rig.. 12.gif

That smith is gone saddens me. I only discovered his music about 4 years ago, and immediately fell in love with it. I even got his Dot Com Blues he put out a couple of years ago, and a few LPs of his.