How much to pay for apair of Quartets?

mcp

By the way, looking at my spreadsheet of Heritage sales, it seems as if the lowest price loudspeaker pair sold is often sold near the same time as the highest price loudspeaker sold! Quite strange.

Dont see many Quartet models for sale on eBay just one recently, at about $325 for the pair w/o packaging and shipping.

Are Quartets like KG 2s?

Two dozen Heresy sales on eBay, until 2004, show pairs of the smallest Heritage box, selling from $200 to $590, establishing the average value at $392.

Recently 7 Fortes I and IIs, similar to Chorus models, though they are less-sensitive, and roll off slowly below 200Hz, sold on eBay from a remarkable $158 to a high of $930, for an average of $591.

Colin,

When Quartets do show up, they seem to run from 500-700 range. There is one pair w/ BIN on ebay-but the seller wants me to use Paypal-even though I would be picking them up.......... good observations on speaker sales............

IMO- Quartets are much More efficient than the KG 2'S........Worlds apart to be exact!

$400 plus/minus $25 for Quartets in very good to excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. At least that is what "I" would be willing to pay. I have said this before, but it is worth repeating 9.gif , Quartets are just too short and their base needs to raised to get them up to the same height as Fortes (actually only a couple of inches more).

Fortes (I or II) are worth $600 plus/minus $100 depending on condition ... Once again, what I would be willing to pay.

$400-ish, like jerohm said, sounds right to me too. $600 sounds high for Fortes to me, but maybe my view is skewed by having gotten mine for $450. I'd have a hard time going more than $500 for them at any rate. $600 would be a good deal on Chorus II's IMO.

Naturally this is all completely subjective and there is no "right" answer. In a sense these things are worth whatever the guy who wants them most is willing to pay, but since there are quite a few in circulation there is generally another set around the corner. It helps to be lucky -- I kind of wish I knew what that was like. It also helps to be patient.

Solid state will sound better with KG4 than Quartet. Quartets are better for HT, not so great for everyday 2C. KG4 lacks something that Quartets offer. Quartets have higher highs to the point of ringing but better bass than the KG4 can reach. I have had both and now own neither. If you have an Academy, Quartets are a perfect blend.

I payed $400 for my first set of Q's. They were mint, with boxes, and at a reputable used dealer five blocks from where I lived. So I got them home in a shopping cart. They included some speaker wire to tie them down to the cart. Smile.

The second time around I bought a pair off e-bay for a bit less. The seller said one tweeter was fried. It turned out both were. When they arrived there was minor damage to a corner. Hard to say just how much of this was accidental. I didn't squauk. Not worth the arguing.

The lesson is that what is a good price depends very much on shipping costs, risks of shipping, and just what arrives at your doorstep. Any 'deal' can jump up $150 in unknowns.

When I bought the Forte II the seller said they were oak. Not my favorite. They turned out to be walnut, which I liked better.

The bottom line is that such purchases have an aspect of uncertainty; some good, some bad. We can't say that the asking price of $400 is good or bad without considering other factors.

Gil

----------------

On 2/9/2005 8:03:27 PM Olorin wrote:

... In a sense these things are worth whatever the guy who wants them most is willing to pay, but since there are quite a few in circulation there is generally another set around the corner. It helps to be lucky -- I kind of wish I knew what that was like. It also helps to be patient.

----------------

The first pair of Forte IIs that I purchased from Tweeter (new) in 1990 cost me $1074, which was ~10% off list. You are certainly correct that there are a sufficient number of Fortes always available, but at least in "MY" experience, there are way too many MINT plant stands. For me anyway, finding truly prime examples, are far and few between. The side benefit in finding units in great cosmetic condition, is that it ups the probability that they weren't electronically stressed. Not a guarantee, but a good rule of thumb. That is also NOT to imply that a cosmetically challenged speaker won't sound every bit as good; and depending on the intended use, may be the better choice (i.e., College, etc).

As far as shipping, I think the size of the Quartet makes it a borderline contender at best. I know others have had good luck with shipping, but my rule is if one person can't comfortably handle the packaged item, I not willing to take the risk of shipping it (without a pallet).