foam baffle in RF-7

BillH2121

In another thread, someone mentioned that the foam baffle in an RF-7 had apparently slipped during shipping and was covering the ports. I checked mine and found the same thing. Is it correct to assume that the foam baffle should be pushed to the front of the speaker box to form a chamber in front of the ports? I noticed a big change in bass when I did so. Is this right or should the foam be in another position? Thanks for the help.

I think the thread was the one about the RF-7s being too bright. One of my 7s had the foam about 1-2 inches from the port opening, the other had the foam pushed against the front of the speaker cabinet so that a chamber was in front of the ports. The difference in bass was remarkable when I pushed the foam towards the front of the cabinet.

Hi Bill, that was me that noticed the form at the bottom of the RF-7's. I don't know what the correct answer is but I like the foam to be pushed to the bottom. I feel that it really opens up the bass. Since I listen to rock and alternative music the bass info is important.

Thanks Bill - I guess that makes sense - kind of "tunable" port depending on the application. I have my 7s appprox 2 feet from the wall and toed in. All I can say is that my speakers sound much better with the baffle pushed down to the floor and forward to the cabinet front. Thanks for the help.

The ports on the back of the RF-7s are huge for a purpose. Their size was determined mathematically and by experience. Ported enclosures have better bass extension and sensitivity than acoustic suspension speakers. The speaker's design assumes that they will be open, i.e., have no obstruction.

Unfortunately, many users want their speaker against the wall. Klipsch has both bases covered, but it is not the type of thing that they want to explain apparently. Folks would then start asking why they didn't put the port on the front. (It works against the woofers.) The RB-75 was ported to the front at forum members' requests, since bookshelf speakers usually need to be against a wall or in a cabinet.

Bill

Wow, this is a significant issue for a high end speaker like the RF-7. I'm not an RF-7 owner, but have been quite impressed when I've heard them.

Seems like this is something that Klipsch would present to the end user in the User's Guide. Any mention of it there? I'm taken aback that a call to Klipsch support wasn't of more help.

I just felt into my 7s. The foam in the right speaker fully covers the bottom and the front all the way up to the first woofer. On the left speaker, the foam covers the front but only extends onto the bottom about an inch. Most of the bottom is bare wood. Also, the foam on one speaker is a couple inches wider than the other. WTF? I'm calling Klipsch monday morning and getting to the bottom of this foam deal.

JPM, Please let me know what you find. I have already called Klipsch, don't be surprised if the guys that answer the phone don't seem to know much. I hope I am wrong, I would like to listen to them the correct way before I sell them on Audiogon. Just listed 1/2 hour ago.

• Klipsch Employees

the phome should make a "L" in the bottom of the cabinet.

It should be "tucked" between the port and the bottom of the cabinet.

Then turn the corner and go up the front of the cabinet, stoping just short of the lower woofer.

If it is covering the port, just stick you hand in the port and push it back in place.

As long as it is not covering the port it is ok just about anywhere in the cabinet.

If you want to glue it you can, it is ok.

I just wanted to comment on the 7s foam "fiasco"2.gif The foam in mine runs along the bottom and up the front toward the woofer.You can also have it along the bottom and up each side(thats the way my 5s are.Covering the ports don't sound like a good idea,I'm no speaker designer.

----------------

On 2/12/2005 10:58:49 PM jpm wrote:

Why sell them? Once I finally got the right electronics hooked up to mine, I must say they're freaking fabulous speakers.

----------------

I gotta agree and not because I own 7s,because I've heard lots speakers in this catagory/price range.I can really appreciate the 7s or 5s or rb5s for that matter after listening to some of the competition.

The correct way is in an L shape, covering the back of the woofers magnets and running down

to the bottom across floor of speaker. The bass ports should never be blocked! Push it in,

all the way to the woofers. I have 3-pair of RF-7's all together and they all came the

correct way except for one that popped forward, blocking the bass port.

post-15573-13819261773534_thumb.jpg