"Triode" switch not required.

jazman

As in SET. Single End Triode.

All the "Triode" mode switches, and "Triode" mods of penthode push pull designs do not equal the presentation of true Single End Triode amplifiers.

For sale of Audiogon;

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1113435756

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

1108251651.jpg

For those interested in the 300b tube.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1113195434

Welborne Labs 300b Laurels(no pics available)

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 2/13/2005 1:09:50 AM laurenc319 wrote:

hi,

A beautiful sight for sure. What are you replacing them with ?

btw , the 8th ( acoustic ) nerve has the most direct connection to our brain with the exception of the 1st (olfactory) nerve. Both are very primative and very emotive.

Larry
----------------

Larry,

The items for sale are not mine, just two adds recently posted on Audiogon, just in case someone has attributes other than slam and 110db in their audio priorities . My 2A3 Moondogs are NOT for sale.

Klipsch out.

Dee,

$1400 is "reasonable" for the Moondogs because they appear to be in good shape, but could probably be had for a little less since he does not mention the Ultimate Upgrage package. I think the parts for the "Ultimate upgrade" package are still available from Welborne, though I have not checked.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 2/13/2005 9:08:02 AM scott0527 wrote:

Anybody have any thoughts about how the 2A3 Moondogs compare with the Wright-Sound 2A3 amps? I've been looking at getting a pair of of SETs just to see what it's all about? ----------------

Scott0527,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think the archives has a very informativie post by Kelly(mobilehomeless) on comparing the two. I own 2A3 Moondogs, and have also heard the Wright 2A3 amps on several ocassions. Both are good examples of 2A3 SET implementations, but there are other designs from Wavelength Audio(Gordon Rankin), Cary Audio, FI 2A3 (Don Garber) that are worth mentioning. The Bottleheads are going to kill me, but without the serious upgrades available for their 2A3's, they are not quite in the same league as the five aforementioned 2A3's, but can be with the right upgrades. YMMV.

Klipsch out.

----------------

On 2/13/2005 11:08:23 AM scott0527 wrote:

----------------

On 2/13/2005 9:29:37 AM NOSValves wrote:

Flamatory ----------------

Craig,

You got a set of SETs I could borrow to get the curiosity out my system? I've got to hear what all that distortion is about with my own ears!
1.gif
I'll set them up next to my NOSValves Hot Rod ST70.

----------------

The only SET amplifier I have here is huge !! Like 85 pounds not really something I can ship around for people to try out sorry. If you want to try something out buy the Moondogs you can always put them back up for sale and surely get your money back they never last long when they do come up.

Craig

Scott,

I think Jazman has given a pretty good take on the Wrights and Moondogs. If Erik Mandaville can chime in he's had the opportunity to listen to both of these amps.

I've got Wright's and are quite pleased with them. Haven't heard the Moondogs, but what I understand from people that have heard both, is that the Moondogs would have the edge on sound. At the same time the Wright's, which are VERY good, would be the winner in bang for the buck sound.

Would check with seller to confirm this amp is using Magnequest iron, it looks to be the case from the pics. IMO, the DS-025 output transformers give the Moondogs a slight edge over the Wrights in the excitement factor and bass response (read, this amp can get loud!) however for long-term listening my preferences have been with the Wrights which lean towards being more neutral and harmonically correct, the TFA-204 iron has a beautiful sweet spot that is especially evident when paired with the Wright WLA12A pre amp. Both do wonders with 2A3, the Wrights are more polite (in an addictive way), the Moondog is definitely a performer and beautiful to look at, too.

http://www.magnequest.com/products.htm

----------------

On 2/13/2005 1:43:00 PM jazman wrote:

I think the archives has a very informativie post by Kelly(mobilehomeless) on comparing the two. I own 2A3 Moondogs, and have also heard the Wright 2A3 amps on several ocassions. Both are good examples of 2A3 SET implementations, but there are other designs from Wavelength Audio(Gordon Rankin), Cary Audio, FI 2A3 (Don Garber) that are worth mentioning. The Bottleheads are going to kill me, but without the serious upgrades available for their 2A3's, they are not quite in the same league as the five aforementioned 2A3's, but can be with the right upgrades. YMMV.

Klipsch out.

----------------

Personally I wouldn't touch any 2A3 amps Cary did with a 20 foot pole. Seems Dennis Had was aiming at building an amp that would sound sweeter than a cup of sugar diluted in a pint of Pepsi.

As for the Bottlehead, while I'm not a fan of their rather pedestrian look that is more akin to a "Look at my first science project... oh Daddy aren't you proud!" type of construction, the Paraglow is an excellent amp. In my opinion it does achieved better result than the Moondog due to its better circuit. Circuit still much improved in the Paraglow II. If only Doc B could make a little effort so his line of amps would look good...