Buddy Guy's burnin' blues -- Sweet Tea

Daddy Dee

Well, Buddy Guy's CD Sweet Tea is not new, released in 2001... but it is new to me.

If you like down, dirty, electric blues you will love this. Sounds live. Starts out with "Done Got Old" it'll make you grin, cause you can'd do what you usta could cause you done got old.

Most of this material sounds like a jam session with Jimi Hendrix. Wailing, distorted guitar and rock bottom bass. Beale Street club blues type. Very laid back.

If you want a little taster, check out the 30 sec. samples on Amazon.com. That's how I found it, listened and thought, wowza.

This will be old news for most Buddy Guy fans, I suppose, but wanted to share the love tonight. It's a sweet discovery to me. 10.gif

Dee

Agree its a great CD, love Buddy Guy and that album. If you want a really good Buddy Guy tune 'Don't Know Which Way To Go'(about 12 minutes long) w/ Clapton also on guitar from the 'Rush' movie sound track if you don't already have it. Its really the only really good track on it but its worth it or see if you can download it if your into that. Don't think you will be disappointed.

Also try 'As Good As It Gets'.

Don't know if you're just getting into the Blues and in case you are here's a few I would recommend:

Buddy Guy "Feels Like Rain" and "Slippin In"

Doug MacLeod "Come to Find" by Audioquest, superb recording values and a couple of songs with Charlie Mussselwhite as icing on the cake

Muddy Waters "Hard Again"

Leon Russel "Live"

BB King "Live at Cook County Jail"

Son House "Delta Blues and Spirituals" mid 80's recording and well mastered

Movie Tracks:

"Crossroads" with Ry Cooder

"Kansas City" variety of artisits both old and new bridigin the whole Kansas City blues/jazz sound

The Blues Brothers Akroyd/Belushi

Newer Blues Artists:

Eric Bibb & Needed Time "Good Stuff"

Keb Mo self-titled and his latest which just won a Grammy

Kind of alt but Blues Travelers "Straight on Til Morning

Pop/Blues artists:

Bonnie Raitt "Luck of the Draw"

Van Morrison "Down the Road"

New Orleans Style: Dr. John "In the Right Place"

Hard to find but worth the search:

Root Boy Slim "Boogie Til Ya Puke"

Peggy Lee "Miss Peggy Lee Sings the Blues"

This will get you started. I'll lfip through my lp's and get yo some more if you need them.

Ive played at Buddy Guys club Legends many times. Every January he does a string of shows at his club. I have been fortunate enough to see him play in this more intimate setting. All I can tell you is, first song: chills are going up your spine. Second song: chills are going up AND down your spine. By the third song things are so intense the palms of your hands are sweating. And by the end of the set I guarantee there will be tears in your eyes more than once.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to meet him (like for an autograph or something) and you really want to get his attention, dont ask him about his guitars, or music. Talk about food, Louisiana, Cajun food. Okra Gumbo is one of his favs. 3.gif I made his recipe once. Asked him about it because "it seemed a little, for lack of a better word, slimmy. What am I doing wrong?" He says "I kinda like it that way", looks up, smiles, and says, "Try using a little less Okra" LOL

We need more posts like this, or maybe even a separate category. We all talk about our equipment, capacitors and tubes so much, where is the music?

I grew up on 70's music and to me it sounds the best on my heritage. Not compressed so much like new recordings (at least pop recordings).

I just ordered the Citized Steely Dan box set and Neil young's new remastered Greatest hits.

It is hard to find music that will, as I like to call it, "separate" when you play it on your heritage. A good example is Fleetwood Mac's rumors CD. You can hear every instrument completely separated from the rest, fantastic imaging.

I want to broaden my musical horizons and this post is perfect. How about a reccomendation for femal vocals and accoustic guitar? (I don't mean to hijack this thread).

Thanks,

Chris

----------------

On 2/18/2005 1:31:58 PM jacksonbart wrote:

Is it true that his coffee cup is full of whiskey when you see him play live? The only time I did see him live (@ the Tower in Philly) he was drinking from a coffee cup. Just wondered if you knew. Heard it from a friend who worked up in the Jazz/Blues festival in RI.

----------------

Actually, sort of.....close anyway. He likes cognac.

As he said in a 1994 Guitar Player magazine interview with Otis Rush, "when I want to learn something, I don't want nothing to affect my ability to learn. And when I come out here to go on stage, I'm like saying, I gotta have a beer or shot of cognac, because I'm shakin' when I go up there. And I don't care where or who or when and what I'm playing---it's just there. It's that stage fright".

But I'll tell ya what stage fright really is. It's when you're a two-bit semi-pro musician like myself, and your on stage at Buddy Guy's Legends, and Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Dave Meyer, Roger Waters, Harmonica Hinds, and Guitar Slim are in the audience. Now thats SCARY!! 6.gif

EDIT: BTW, you'll know if Buddy is at the club if you see a white Rolls Royce parked behind Legends

Tigerwoods,

On female vocals, my favorite is Diana Krall -- Live in Paris, but haven't heard a bad album of hers yet. Lots of choices there.

On guitar solos, I'd suggest to pick up a Windham Hill guitar sampler to see who among them you really like. Some good stuff there.