There's something to say about ubid

Rob_S

A few days ago, I picked up a KSC-C1 for $79 + $20 S&H ($280 MSRP) on ubid. Yesterday, I won a bid for an Acurus A100X3 for $449 + $38 S&H ($1,000 MSRP). They were advertised as new and assuming they arrive in working order, those prices seem to me to be pretty good even when compared to a typical dealer discount. Granted, the shipping isn't the cheapest (particularly for products that weigh a lot), but I'm pretty happy overall. They've had KLF-10s and 20s, KLF-C7s, KSC-C1s, RP-3s, HS2s and a variety of Acurus amps up for bid lately.

With regard to the "ubid scams" thread, there are some unusual bids, that's for sure. Some of that, I think, is people trying to lock in a low price or put them in an advantageous position for a later, higher bid. Though I'm unsure whether the guy that won 12 KSC-C1s really wanted that many or was just trying to outsmart the system. Some of the bids for 30 of 41 available products e.g. do look pretty fishy to me.

Congratulations on the good buy's Rob.You'll really like the Acurus amp,I'm sure.What front speakers do you have? Going to drive them with the Acurus?

BTW,some of those fishy auctions are TEST auctions.

Keith

Hi Keith -

I have a pair of Quartets I currently use for the fronts. I was planning on driving them and the CC with the Acurus amp, and the rears (Polks) with an Adcom amp I have. I'm looking to replace the Polks but I haven't found suitable replacements yet. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Acurus. I've heard many good things about them and am anxious to see how it sounds.

This message has been edited by Rob_S on 08-18-2001 at 11:19 AM

There is a pair of "forte" on ebay right now, but the seller is listing them as having a 10" woofer and only being 32" tall......sounds to me like Quartets.

If you do a search on ebay, it will be one of the last items to come up under Klipsch.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

MIT Speaker Cable

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Monster S-Video and Component Cables

one thing I noticed on U-bid was that there are several lots of the same thing and juts when you think the item is gone - another lot appears. And, of course, the MSP is often way over the street price. A few items seem to rise to their street price quickly and then sell for about wheta they would sell for anyway ...

------------------

big old Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps, Dynaco series II tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

i just scored another black c7 for $295 w/ shipping & no sales tax! that's about $175 less than the lowest price i could find from a dealer including tax. looks good so far but will see if it arrives ok.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

got the C7 from fed-ex today. took 7 days from the winning bid day. hooked-up & in excellent working order.

only thing was a glue stain/streak on the speaker bottom. could buff it out but it's only on the bottom.

also had this on the top of an rf-3 i got from the local dealer a while back. sent it back & they took it

out at the dealer, but still discolored the finish slightly. looks like klipsch needs a lil improvement on their cabinet inspections, but no real biggy.

high praise for ubid though.

Does Ubid ship to Canada? If they do, is it at a reasonable rate? I'm thinking about picking up a KSC-C1 and I've heard many people getting it at an awesome price.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Hercules Fortissimo II)

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be LG Flatron 915FT Plus 19")

Razor Boomslang 2000 w/Everglide Giganta

These speakers are for my computer, not a HT

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats. adding Quintet center or Klipsch KSC-C1)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 mini-sub (soon to be HSU Research VTF-2 or Klipsch RSW-10)

From the ubid web site:

International Shipping

Currently we do not ship outside the United States.

However, if you would like to register your foreign billing address (see further details below) in conjunction with a U.S. shipping address, we would be more than happy to process your order. Please be advised that customers with foreign billing addresses will experience a delay in order processing up to 36 hours.

Foreign Billing Address

If you are using a credit card with a foreign billing address, you are required to provide the Credit Department with:

A copy of the front and back of the credit card;

A copy of your passport or another ID for picture identification; and

Any document indicating your billing address (bank statement, utility bill, credit card statement, etc.)

So I have one question for you all:

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of klf-10's off of ubid and all they seem to have is mahogony or oak finish, does anyone know of a place where I could see pics of this speaker in these finishes? I'd like to have black satin preferably but mahogany will work fine. Also.... I have a question for all of you:

I have the following problem, new hk avr510 receiver, old infinity junkers for speakers and some junker satelites. What I want to do is pick up the klf10's off of ubid and a ksc1 and use it for my mains/center. My other choice is to goto bestbuy, buy a pair of cerwin vega ls-12's and some center channel and going this route. Only thing being that the bestbuy route is probably cheaper and quicker, yet the ubid route gives me in my opinion should be better speakers. Let me know your opinion, thanks mike

If you decide to get the klf-10's, don't get the ksc-c1 for the center. The klf-c7 is designed to go with the klf-10's, 20's and 30's. It maybe more expensive than the ksc-c1, but it will sound a whole lot better. And there always seems to be an auction for them on ubid as well.

Here's a pic of the klf-20 in oak:

http://www.klipsch.com/images/photogallery/legend/KLF20oak-1.jpg

Can't find a pic of any klf speakers in mahogany though.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Hercules Fortissimo II)

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be LG Flatron 915FT Plus 19")

Razor Boomslang 2000 w/Everglide Giganta

These speakers are for my computer, not a HT

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats. soon adding Klipsch KSC-C1)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 mini-sub (soon to be HSU Research VTF-2)

Here's a KLF-30 review that has a shot of the mahogany finish:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_1/klipsch-klf-30-speakers-3-2000.html

I know I've seen black satin KLF-10's and -20's on uBid in the past couple of weeks. They seem to have had Legends on auction for awhile now, so if you really want black finish, I say just keep an eye on the auctions for a week or so and see what turns up.

Good luck!