Sony Sent Me A Free SACD

garymd

I got an Elton John SACD sampler in the mail yesterday from Sony who is promoting a new line of headphones (competing with Bose?). They thanked me for buying a new SACD player (which I didn't!) and said I should now hear the quality recordings this new player is capable of providing. Included was a brochure showing the new line of headphones.

I already have most of what was on the SACD but can't for the life of me figure out why they sent it. I did get some warranty work done on my 555ES over a year ago (bought it used). Maybe I got on a list?

The quality IS outstanding and I highly recommend any of EJ's new SACD releases.

----------------

On 2/15/2005 11:09:47 AM garymd wrote:

I already have most of what was on the SACD but can't for the life of me figure out why they sent it. Maybe I got on a list?

----------------

Gary -

Maybe they got your name off of the list of FREE KLIPSCHORN RECIPIENTS?

I couldn't figure THAT one out either.

Dave 9.gif

----------------

On 2/15/2005 1:24:29 PM WS65711 wrote:

----------------

On 2/15/2005 11:09:47 AM garymd wrote:

I already have most of what was on the SACD but can't for the life of me figure out why they sent it. Maybe I got on a list?

----------------

Gary -

Maybe they got your name off of the list of FREE KLIPSCHORN RECIPIENTS?

I couldn't figure THAT one out either.

Dave
9.gif

----------------

LOL! Maybe that was it!9.gif

I recieved this too. And I must disagree with the above comments as to its quality. I really expected better. I have many of the original Elton John recordings. And I already have maybe 100 SACD. For the life of me I can't understand why Sony would distribute this disk to promote their new high-end Qualia product line, or SACD. The original recordings on LP sound better. And as far as SACD goes, there are far superior recordings available to demonstrate SACD sound quality, even ones made by Sony (Yo Yo Ma 'Solo' immediately comes to mind). Not one of the tracks on this disc are even recorded in Sony's SACD format, Direct Stream Digital (DSD) (like 'Solo' was).

Thumbs Down!!!!14.gif

I haven't actually listened to the sample disk since I have the others. I'll do an a/b test to see if the quality is different.

I like the new EJ SACDs even though they are somewhat overdone. I like that sometimes. I do also own Solos which is fantastic. You can't really compare those recordings as they were trying for different effects with each. Two of my personal favorites on SACD are Monk's "Straight, No Chaser" and Art Pepper's "So In Love." Personally, I prefer the MFSL CDs for a more natural sound. Traffic's "Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" comes to mind (Smilin sent that one to me). You get the great detail without any over-done effects.