How tight in the corner for Khorns?

Elydaman

Hold on, I have heard mention that Khorns need to be "tight" in the corner of the room....Well I have chair rail that keeps my Khorns about 1" from meeting the wall. Will that effect the bass output significantly? It it does, I will shoot myself and get out the coping saw...since this is a dedicated listening room built around the Khorns. Please, I hope I am not so lame as to made such a pitiful mistake.6.gif

Ok guys, you have convinced me....I will report back of the difference as soon as I make the modification. The worst thing about it is that the only function for the Chair rail was for a color change along the wall. What a moron....But in my defense, no where in the installation instructions did Klipsch mention that the wall and speaker had to meet completely.

I honestly do not think that 1" is going to make a significant difference. If you use some 3/8" ID pipe insulation on the tailboard (top to bottom) to get a nice seal I don't think you will have to butcher the trim off your wall.

I have oil/hot water heat and have baseboards on one side that prevents one of my Khorns from being completely and totally flush to the wall and I certainly do not notice any bass loss. If it is going to affect it, it is going to be in the 200Hz range and not down low.

Thanks for all the advice, I went ahead and did the mod on the chair rail. Now the Khorns sit tight and listening to a variety of music said that I might have gotten a "smoother" bass response than the 1" gap before. The hardest part was moving those beasts around the theater.

Thanks again

I have a few questions on the corner location for the speakers, In inches or feet just how far out from the corner do the speakers need to be to comfortably be tucked into the corner? also does the 2 inch baseboard need to be clipped away from the wall to get a flush fit?

Thanks, Patrick

----------------

On 2/19/2005 10:52:58 AM gonzp wrote:

I have a few questions on the corner location for the speakers, In inches or feet just how far out from the corner do the speakers need to be to comfortably be tucked into the corner? also does the 2 inch baseboard need to be clipped away from the wall to get a flush fit?

Thanks, Patrick
----------------

That question confuses me. We're talking Klipscorns only here. They should be 0" away for the corner! They are made for corners and should be tucked right into the corner. Klipschorns are cut away at the rear, bottom to make room for baseboards so you don't have to worry about a 2" baseboard.

I have some speakerlab cabinets and was reading in this forum about having to be sealed to the corner real tight. Well, mine aren't tight at all. If fact, mine are missing the board in back that sits at a 45degree angle to the corner. The top board is not tight in the corner or wall either. Speakerlab says to run them 8inches from the corner. I made a board to fit on top that would seal them to the corner and sides and no noticable change in freq. response was noted with my spl meter. I than played with moving them back and forth from the corner and got the most bass sitting about 2 inches from the corner so the sound had a very narrow channel and top to come out of. My feeling is that sealing the back makes very little difference. You could actually move one speaker away from the corner many feet and still have just as good of bass. Yes, my bass response drops off below 40hz like a bomb but the Klipschorns do too. BTW: I use an Audix 6inch midrange (100db effeciency) and an EV35 tweeter and get great neutral midrange. Don't know how it compares to the midrange horn as I haven't listened to any. Can anybody who claims a sealed back increases bass verify this with some mearsurements? BTW: mine wouldn't have required any chair molding mods to fit :)

gonzp, deally 48" or more but some have gotten good results with less. My left horn has 48" from th corner then tapers down with the stairs. The foyer is level with the top of the Khorn. There is no readily discernable difference with the right one which has 13' of wall. There is about 16' between them.

Rick