Heresy I Grill help needed !

ob1db

Help needed. I own the pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers last belonging to Rock Artist Todd Rundgren. These are the original Architectural unfinished versions and were never finished. When I got them, they had the optional grills fitted.

Now I am about to sell them and I have a dilemma. In the course of replacing a blown woofer, a technician accidentally (and needlessly) removed one grill and misplaced the pieces. Now I have one speaker with and one without grills!

Looking them closely, it would appear these were simply made with fabric stretched across the box, then trim (baseshoe molding or similar ??) nailed right through it. There is no frame that I can see, just the molding. Possibly the fabric was glued in place.

I need to replace the missing grill OR make two matching ones. Any ideas ? Does Klipsch still sell the cloth ? (I know the grills are history and the Heresy II does not fit at all). Has anyone made such grills or repaired existing ones ? Does anyone know for sure how they were made and/or fitted ?

I have the suggestion to remove the one grill and take it into a frame shop, but I am fearful that I will destroy it in the process. I am open to ANY suggestions or help. I want them to be as authentic and original as possible within reason.

For those interested, Todd Rundgren used these as his main mixing and recording speakers from when he bought them until he moved to Mauii, Hawaii about 4 years ago. To the best of my knowledge, most of his hits and the records he produced for others were recorded and/or mixed on this very pair of speakers.

Thanks in advance,

David

(stock 1975-6 Heresy I pair, Yamaha Pro Series power amp PC2002)

Attached is a picture, The pair are fitted with hanging hardware, hence they are upside down.

post-17265-1381926190004_thumb.jpg

my first thought is that you will probaly not find a piece of grill cloth that will match. i would rip off the moulding and the grill cloth and start from scratch. if the grill cloth is stapled to the front of the speaker you will have to remove all the staples. you could leave off the grill cloth and just put on a new moulding to hide all the staple holes. watch ebay because a set of grills pop up often.

First off, I'd tell the technician to go back and look harder. (You may want to hold his head under water periodically while making this request.)

If this fails, I agree with the above. From your description, you may need to pull the other one off and start fresh with both to get them to match. Of course then you are tampering with the "Todd Rundgren" authenticity. That older badge may be hard to find, too.

I'm going through a similar scenario. Lots of help on this forum. If you look, you'll find exactly what you're looking for. Meanwhile, to help you along...

The speaker grilles can be made of either heavy-duty cardboard, gator-board, or thin masonite. They are covered in fabric that I thought you could get from Klipsch, but if not, contact Dura Crest Fabrics (708)344-4900 (Ralph) and ask for #17 Black.

If recreating from scratch, tape a piece of paper over the "motorboard"/front speakers board and trace the pattern of the grill and speaker openings. Cut out the pattern and transpose that onto the masonite Make your cutouts on the masonite. Glue or staple the new speaker cloth to the masonite. Affix velcro in the strategic spots and your new Heresy label/tags. You're done!

There are more instructions within this section (Mods) for doing this.

I haven't tried, but chances are you can still buy the grilles from Klipsch.

Meanwhile, how do Runt's speakers sound. From what I can tell, the woofs are damaged. GOD knows what else those poor speakers have been through, but I bet they've seen some wild stuff.

G'luck to ya!

texican58

The remaining painstaking steps

What i would do is buy some Oak Base shoe moulding and then make grills with backer board and use velcro to fasten the grill to the speaker.I did this to my Scalas your Heresys look like they used whats called screen door trim just like the old Scalas did.The base shoe moulding is just thick enough to make the grill flush looks good to.Rick

Ive just completed re-veneering and upgrading my Heresys and wont be using the stock grills on them. One is perfect and the other is close but has a spot were the weave has been frayed. It could be fixed. I would like to keep the logos but would be happy with some others. They are black BTW. If you are interested, let me know.

taylor

----------------

On 2/19/2005 4:57:11 PM ttaylor wrote:

Ive just completed re-veneering and upgrading my Heresys and wont be using the stock grills on them. One is perfect and the other is close but has a spot were the weave has been frayed. It could be fixed. I would like to keep the logos but would be happy with some others. They are black BTW. If you are interested, let me know.

taylor

----------------

i'm interested if he isn't

----------------

On 2/19/2005 4:57:11 PM ttaylor wrote:

----------------

so the frame itself is black ?

Or just the cloth ?

How much do you want for them ?

----------------

On 2/18/2005 6:15:34 PM texican58 wrote:

I haven't tried, but chances are you can still buy the grilles from Klipsch.

----------------

nope, only Heresy IIs

----------------

Meanwhile, how do Runt's speakers sound. From what I can tell, the woofs are damaged. GOD knows what else those poor speakers have been through, but I bet they've seen some wild stuff.

----------------

They sound great. I don't know why you say that about the woofers. One Woofer was blown, but I got it replaced. Todd maintained ALL his gear very well. I bought the entire studio!

So, does anyone actually KNOW how the originals were attached ?

I do NOT see enough thickness for there to be any Masonite in there now. I suspect the cloth was stapled or glued and the molding nailed through it. It does not look like the grills described in the Cornwall etc. description.

Well I suppose I should have looked a bit closer to the JPEG of your Heresys. Mine are the next generation I guess. Mine have the velco glued to the masonite. It appears that yours used the trim to mount the grill possibly? Otherwise, I see no reason why it would need to be removed. So Im not sure they will fit.

taylor

please post the serial numbers off the backs of the speakers, if the paper tags are gone the numbers are usually stamped into the rear edges of the plywood sides or tops. Then we can make an informed decision on how best to proceed. I have a spare one of those logos you can have for free if the guy can't come up with it.

have you considered asking him to look harder while pointing a large caliber handgun directly at is face? (j/k I guess)

----------------

On 2/21/2005 1:59:38 AM ttaylor wrote:

Well I suppose I should have looked a bit closer to the JPEG of your Heresys. Mine are the next generation I guess. Mine have the velco glued to the masonite. It appears that yours used the trim to mount the grill possibly? Otherwise, I see no reason why it would need to be removed. So Im not sure they will fit.

taylor

----------------

yep, the trim is attached directly and the cloth is stapled. Is the actual trim of yours black?

How much ?

----------------

On 2/21/2005 2:05:32 PM Budman54 wrote:

i have a pair of 70 LaScalas and my grill cloth was stretched across the front face and stapled at least 500 times after i removed the 1/4 inch molding. the face was painted black also. sounds like yours are the same.

----------------

yep. looking losely I can see where the staples were. I suspect this is due to them being the unfinished version.

The serial numbers are: 17N883 and 885

Anyone have any bright ideas on how to get the moulding off without trashing anything ???

----------------

On 2/21/2005 10:40:13 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

please post the serial numbers off the backs of the speakers,

----------------

Done, see prior post. I believe they are 1976

----------------

I have a spare one of those logos you can have for free if the guy can't come up with it.

----------------

Thank you! Offer accepted. Shall I email you my address ?

----------------

On 2/21/2005 1:59:38 AM ttaylor wrote:

taylor

----------------

are yours Heresy I or II ? Can you post the serial numbers so we know the age ?

And no, the grill should NEVER have been removed, sigh. What idiocy...

As you will see in another reply, the grillcloth is stapled and the trim just nailed through it. I am still interested in your grills.

There were 3 moldings:

rounded quarter

flat wood

Iron on

I had 2 pair of LaScalas.

The first was one of around 15 - 20 that had grille cloth top to bottom. Second had none.

Was going to match 2 to 1.

I have:

Flat Factory molding for LaScalas

Rounded Factory for Herseys

Factory grille cloth vintage 1989, but a check shows it to be identical to my original Heresys.

Wrinkled, but that large, you could get Heresys with no problem.

ALL came from Hope.

dodger