O.T. The Burial

BEC

I have a pair of Boston Terriers (*****es). They are handsome little pups, comical, smart, rowdy, demanding, hard headed.

I've often thought what they would be like if they weighed 100#. I would probably be afraid to go home at night! There would be a lot of behavior that would have to be discouraged early and often.

Much of any dog's behavior devolves to the owner/trainer and probably too much is by default.

Every breed has traits --some of which need to be optimized, and some extinguished.

The Pit Bull probably gets a bum rap. The name itself is a trigger for newspaper stories. Here is my modest proposal. Beginning now, lets refer to them as Staffordshire Terriers and see if their behavior improves.

DR BILL

Sorry about the (*****es) above. I used the technical term for female canine which the forum police didn't allow. Hmm.

----------------

On 2/27/2005 9:49:30 PM IB Slammin wrote:

It is about the owner, not the breed.

Terry

----------------

Terry,

All breeds will bite. When dating my wife, here parents Chawawa gave me a heck of a time. A nasty little she dog she was. But look, you have significant experience and that means you realize that some people own certain breeds simply because of the macho/intimidation factor. You must also agree that the majority of dog owners have little, if any, control over their dogs? Considering dangerous situations, there are certain breeds we would prefer not to meet up with. Therefore, significant and seriously volatile situations can and often do exist. Im not ready to ban any breed but I am open to accountability and perhaps some form of licensing.

BTW m00n, was there a particular incident that brought this on?

Just to set the record straight, I'm not above being reasonable. I'm sure that there are some fine pits out there. I also agree the owners can have a dramatic impact on them, furthermore, perhaps they have been given a bum rap.

BUT, and you knew there would be one.

Regarding owners, people are people and make mistakes, they don't latch the gate, they are not strong enough to contain the dog while taking it for a walk, they don't build the fence well enough to keep the dogs contained, they don't close the door, they don't on and on. This can be said for a lot of dogs.

BUT and you knew there would be another.

These dogs get out and kill and I firmly believe that there is something fundamentally wrong with their makeup.

BEC... Sorry man. It was never my intent to hijack your thread. Just know I didn't start it. 2.gif

----------------

On 2/28/2005 12:33:10 PM boomac wrote:

----------------

There was, but I don't recall off the top of my head. I just seen something on the news and decided to change my sig to say what it does now.

Two ol boys were drinking in a bar (go figure) and after quite some time, one of them tells the other that he needs to head home. In his inebriated state he decides to take a short cut home through a grave yard. Unknowingly he comes across a fresh dug grave and not seeing it due to darkness he falls in. Well the sides are so steep and the grave is so deep and hes so drunk that he cant get out. After a few minutes he starts hollering,

Help me! Help me Im cold! Help me!

30 minutes or so later, his friend leaves the bar and decides to stagger home through the same grave yard. Bouncing off headstones, he hears,

Help me! Help me Im cold! Help me!

He manages to find his way to the fresh dug grave, looks down into it and sees a faint shadow of a man who again hollers,

Help me Im cold! Help me! Help me Im cold

Looking down at the fellar, he says,

Of course you cold, you done kicked all your dirt off you!

Tom

Thanks to Glen Bui from the ACF for doing this research American Canine Foundation I have been able to obtain statistics on the American Pit Bull Terrier from AKC / A.D.B.A. / UKC for registrations on Pit Bulls. For the other breeds I used AKC/UKC statistics. "

"The percentages below show us the percentage of the breed involved in fatal

attacks v. the population of the breed, for the last 30 years in the USA.

Apx. 240,000 - 12 Fatal Attacks Chow Chow .005%

Apx 800,000 - 67 Fatal Attacks German Shepherds .008375%

Apx. 960,000 - 70 Fatal Attacks Rottweiler .00729%

Apx. 128,000 - 18 Fatal Attacks Great Dane .01416%

Apx. 114,000 - 14 Fatal Attacks Doberman .012288%

Apx. 72,000 - 10 Fatal Attacks St Bernard .0139%

Apx 5,000,000- 60 Fatal Attacks American Pit Bull Terrier .0012%

There have been over 400 fatal dog attacks since 1970 involving 30 different breeds. The majority were caused from unattended children that became

victims. 268 fatal attacks occurred from negligence by parents of children up to the age of 7 years old. When taking into account all the circumstances involving fatal attacks there is no rational basis to ban or restrict a specific breed of dog. "

C2003 ACF. All Rights Reserved.

=========

There are some obvious issues here. This is only dealing with registered dogs, so the accuracy could be waaayyy off. On the forum where I got this info, it is estimated that there are over 55 million American Pit Bull Terriers in the U.S. They are the most popular breed here.

There are five million Pit Bulls in the US!

Rotweillers, then German Shepards, then Pit bull kill the most people.

As a percentage, of their population Great Danes kill more than other breeds.

If a dog attacks and kills a child, define the negligence by the parents?

Many people raise Pit Bulls to fight. It is a popular, but illegal sport down here in Florida, but I know of young people making a living doing it.

8.gif

Man comes into a bar, bartender says whatll it be?

Man says, Bud Light

Bartender brings him a beer

Man says,things aint right with the world

Bartender says, thatll be two-fifty

"That all you got to say?"

For two dollars and fifty cents, do you want philosophy, or a beer?

3.gif

PS, my daughter's pit bulls are the sweetest things, sharp teeth though...

Man sees and ad: Hunting Dog $25,000. He has to respond and drives 100 miles out to the farm where the dog resides.

$25,000s a heap for a hunting dog. Whats he got?

Farmer takes the dog out to a 40 acre field and sends him out. After zig zaggin the field the dog comes back and paws the ground three times. What, what, said the buyer. The farmer said, "that means there's three rabbits out there". Right, the guy says but after a quick walk through, sure enough, three rabbits hopped off. Ah, not bad but I need to see more. Off to field # 2, an 80 acre pasture. Farmer sends the dog out and after about 10 minutes he comes back huffing a bit. He paws the ground twice and barks 5 times. Whats it mean, asked the buyer. 2 rabbits and 5 pheasants out there, replied the farmer. Out they went and sure enough, 2 rabbits hopped off and 5 pheasants flushed and flew away. Now the guy was interested but needed one more test to close the deal. The farmer took them to a huge 200 acre field with all sorts of vegetation. The hound went out and was gone for nearly half an hour. He came dragging back, huffin & puffin with his head held low. All of a sudden he jumped up upon the farmers leg and started humping like crazy. Then he grabbed a stick and started growling and shaking it all over the place. The buyer said, am I glad I saw this crazy behavior I was almost ready to buy the stupid mutt. The farmer said hey buddy, this dog isnt crazy and he aint stupid either hes just tryin to tell you that theres more F-en birds out there than you can shake a stick at.

----------------

On 2/27/2005 8:41:39 PM ben. wrote:

To be honest, I'm making fun of your opinion more than I'm trying to change it, but whatever...

----------------

ben

My first reply was removed. Use your imagination when pondering it's content.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 12:33:10 PM boomac wrote:

----------------

On 2/27/2005 9:49:30 PM IB Slammin wrote:

It is about the owner, not the breed.

Terry

----------------

Terry,

All breeds will bite. When dating my wife, here parents Chawawa gave me a heck of a time. A nasty little “she dog” she was. But look, you have significant experience and that means you realize that some people own certain breeds simply because of the macho/intimidation factor. You must also agree that the majority of dog owners have little, if any, control over their dogs? Considering dangerous situations, there are certain breeds we would prefer not to meet up with. Therefore, significant and seriously volatile situations can and often do exist. I’m not ready to ban any breed but I am open to accountability and perhaps some form of licensing.

My Mastiffs love kids...They can eat 2 or 3 every day.....

My dogs are like furniture. They only move when its dinner time. They are bad with my grand children. If I need to correct a child....The dogs stand between me and the child and let me know that the kid has permission to do whatever he wants.

----------------

7.gif7.gif7.gif