O.T. The Burial

BEC

The Burial

A young preacher was asked by a funeral director to hold a graveside service for a man who was alone at death.....with no family or friends.  The funeral was held way back in the country...and the young preacher got lost on the way.  When he arrived an hour late, he saw a backhoe and crew, but the hearse was nowhere in sight.  The workmen were eating lunch.  The diligent pastor went to the open grave to find the vault lid in place....but still he poured out his heart and preached an impassioned and lengthy service.

Returning to his car, the young preacher felt that he had done his duty.... and he would leave with a renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in spite of his tardiness.  As he got into his car, he overheard one of the workers talking to another worker:

"I've been putting in septic tanks for 20 years, and I ain't never seen nothing like that before.  Sort of gives new meaning to the term 'Holy Crap'."

Bob

Sorry for the hijack Bob.

m00n,

Not sure if I agree about banning/outlawing any dog. Granted they have a reputation for being nasty dangerous animals. Usually those types of problems are rooted in how the dog is handled, trained and kept. If bread and trained properly, they can be a pretty good dog. I would definitely agree with spaying or neutering a good many of their owners/breeders at birth. A lot of people feel that way about Rotweilers. Dobermans had a bad rap in the 60s and 70s. German Shepard Dogs once held the distinction of being a mean dog. The breed I own, a Belgian Malinois, can be nasty and dangerous if not properly handled and trained. Fact is it is rarely the dogs fault. Most dogs are eager to please the Alpha Dog (the owner) in their life. If that particular Alpha is a jerk then you have a potential problem in the making. A good many people IMO do not think of what animal is best for their given lifestyle but rather they get hung up on a particular breed and havent a clue what the dogs temperament, needs and demands will be or how they should be managed. But I understand your point you do read a lot about Pit Bull attacks however I believe the dog owner is usually where the negligence lies. Just my $.02

----------------

On 2/25/2005 11:50:26 PM ben. wrote:

----------------

m00n wrote:

Pitbulls should be outlawed.

----------------

I'm not sorry for anything. That's just plain simple minded.

----------------

Yes, you are correct it is. After seeing on TV and cities news web sites of report after report after report of pitbull attacks, it is VERY SIMPLE to come to that conclusion. I don't hear of beagles tearing some child apart, I don't hear of labs tearing some child apart. Always pitbulls.

J.4knee, I respect what you say, you very well have some good points but I've heard it before. I just can't help but think that there is something fundamentaly wrong with them. They are extremely vicious. It's like wild animals, you can take the animal out of the wild, but you can't take the wild out of the animal.

Oh, BTW, I was bitten by a German Sheppard when I was but a wee lad. I was very afraid of that dog for years. It was my gradfathers dog. Difference between him and a pitbull is that he only bit, pitbulls try to kill.

I was attacked by a sh!t zoo in my own front yard a couple of years ago. The part I hated the most about the experience was that he would not let me get close enough to him to kick him like a football.

After getting inside the garage I found that he was unable to outrun a BB. I've never seen him again.

Keith

Oh yeah, funny as heck Bob. I got a good laugh out of that one!

m00n.

A lot of the problem with the breed is how they are bread. They are a dog originally bread to fight. When multiple animals roam in a pack the pack mentality and instincts take over but that is universal in most dogs. A lot of shall we call them disreputable Pit Bull breeders breed them to be an aggressive dangerous animals. I agree those dogs should be banned. Actually I believe their breeders should fall victim to their product once. However those are the type of animals responsible breeders cull from litters. We had two Pit Bulls in the first obedience class we took our Malinois to and they were the clowns of the class, very socialized loved to play with all the dogs there. They greeted almost every owner with a hey its your turn to pet me mentality. I too once held your viewpoint on Pit Bulls, Dogo Agentinos and a variety of other dogs that seem to like to grasp the headlines. But ultimately I bleieve it all comes down to how the human-dog interaction and socialization is managed.

The percentage of dog owners possessing the ability to control their dog is shamefully minimal and they must be held accountable for the actions of their dogs. Even a Lab in the back of a SUV can be dangerous. If the window is down a bit and a youngster sticks his/her face up there, a snap is not all that uncommon. Responsible owners know this and would not let it happen. If youre going to own a breed like a Pit bull, you should be one strong Alfa 1. Most owners do not fit those qualifications. I hate to see any breed banned but m00n makes good points. Few breeds will run a person down and kill. Im not for a ban on such animals but proper control is absolutely necessary. If your Pit bull kills somebody you go on trial with the dog and murder should be the charge.

----------------

On 2/26/2005 10:43:58 AM m00n wrote:

Yes, you are correct it is. After seeing on TV and cities news web sites of report after report after report of pitbull attacks, it is VERY SIMPLE to come to that conclusion. I don't hear of beagles tearing some child apart, I don't hear of labs tearing some child apart. Always pitbulls.

----------------

And C'mon m00n, you of all people should know how the media works. Just because you don't hear about other breeds killing someone, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Just out of curiosity, I did a search, and it looks like Rottweilers have killed more during "recent" years. I know for a fact my dog (Rottwiler Mix) would never hurt a fly.

I wonder, do you feel that all guns should be outlawed, too?

That's one cute pooch, Todd.

m00n, should we outlaw farm equipment? How about electricity? Forget about cars, too! These things kill way too many people to risk exposure to.

C'mon... There are laws in place to protect the general public from irresponsible humans. Those laws need to be enforced. If you want to moan about it, moan about the right thing.

There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners. Maybe those bad owners should be forced to endure second hand smoke?

(I'm trying to keep it simple here.)

Look... you can try and change my mind all you want... I don't really care. I have my feelings, you have yours. I think they are a breed of dog that should be ended. you can make all the rediculous metaphores (if thats the word I'm looking for) all day, wont change my mind.

On 2/27/2005 1:39:11 AM ben. wrote:

(I'm trying to keep it simple here.)

----------------

Simple: A dog owner should be held responsible for the actions of his/her dog. (I'm not talking about incidents evolving provocation but an innocent invasion of space is not provocation enough.

I love dogs and have had many including a Pit Bull. (At my Grandparents farm) He was a loyal beast but a real SOB when he was aggravated. He had to be put to sleep because of injuries sustained while defending the chicken coop. The two attacking German Shepherds died at the scene. I've also owned a Saint and in a one on one, I'd bet on the big guy. I would not own or keep either breed in an area with (next door) neighbors. It's just not worth the worry.

----------------

On 2/27/2005 2:41:37 AM m00n wrote:

Look... you can try and change my mind all you want... I don't really care. I have my feelings, you have yours. I think they are a breed of dog that should be ended. you can make all the rediculous metaphores (if thats the word I'm looking for) all day, wont change my mind. ----------------

To be honest, I'm making fun of your opinion more than I'm trying to change it, but whatever...

Pits are cute little dogs.

Four English Mastiffs protect my property and audio stuff. (I live in the sticks so to play 120+db sounds and don't lock my doors.)

We breed,and show our dogs. It is all about the owner and how the dog is trained. At a dog show, 200+lb dogs need to be nice among hundreds of others. God's people were dressed in lamb skin in the coliseum and mastiffs were set on them.

It is about the owner, not the breed.

Terry

As long as we are talkin' dawgs...some breeds, due to over-popularity, have been ruined by inbreeding. Our first Cocker Spaniel (1953-1966) was a saint and the ideal family dog. She was protective of her family-like the typical spaniel-and defended my mother on more than one occasion when Mom was alone in a threatening situation.

Cocker #2 (1966-1970)was a male that we got from a puppy mill where siblings were bred to each other. We didn't know this until much later. He was never "right". Nervous, subject to nightmares, and would turn on anyone, except my father. Dad was alpha and the rest of us were below the dog (in the dog's mind). After my toddler nephew started spending a lot of time with us, we realized we couldn't have an unpredictable dog around a little child. We had to have this beautiful, but crazy, animal put down.

My sister now has a 5 yr old cocker that is very much like cocker #1. Apparently, as the popularity cooled and some discipline was brought to the breeding, the bad stock died out.

Anecdotal evidence is that many breeds went through this. German Shephards (Rin Tin Tin), Collies (Lassie), St. Bernards (Beethoven), even Golden Retrievers and Irish Setters, two ur-family breeds, have had problems from over/in-breeding.

Here is just a very Very VERY small taste of the pit bull accounts out there smart-***.

In the last 18 months, 12 of the 18 confirmed dog-related fatalities in the U.S. -- or 67% -- have been caused by the pit bull terrier, a breed that accounts for only 1% of the U.S. dog population. And the maimings are far more numerous. Often it is small children who are the victims of unprovoked attacks.

Owner of the pit bull's toddler attacked for no reason. Nice pooch eh?

After reading all that... Yeah, I can see your point. It is funny... HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm so glad to hear about this bread of dog killing children. That is something to really feel good about. What was I thinking?