Refurbished?

CaptnBob

Has anyone had any experience with "Factory refurbished" electronics? I've got a friend thinking of buying a cd player and can save significant money by getting one "refurbished."

My thoughts are:

Refurbished like "Replaced the on-off switch" or refurbished like "Caught fire."

Could it be a lemon?

Could what ever caused it to be returned in the first place have laid the ground work for future problems?

Just thought I'd collect some ideas.

Thanks

When I think refurbished I think why bother. Which one were they thinking of buying?

I am unfamiliar with any real highend companies selling refurbished goods Your friend mioght consider a DVD/CD/universal player, the costs have come down so, under 100.00 is common and the performance so "close" in many cases to really great stuff.

Refurbished could mean "used". If it's factory refurbished, IMHO, then it may very well be a safer bet than a "new" one. The rationale goes something like this: A new item comes off of an assembly line and receives only a cursory inspection. A factory refurbished item has been thoroughly tested and inspected by a trained technician to meet or exceed factory spec. It's a win-win, if I may be so cliche'.

9.gif

Usual this means that the unit failed or was DOA for the first purchaser. In most cases this would mean it had little use at all and the store it was purchased from just replaced it with a fresh unit and sent the defective one in for credit. I think there a smart and pretty safe buy if a new warrantee is included.

Craig

----------------

On 2/25/2005 7:34:30 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

I've got a factory refurb Sony 333-ES SACD/CD, paid about half price with full factory warranty. Flawless so far, about 8 months into it. Did I mention half-price?
:)

----------------

Do you like it? Wasn't retail around $1300? That's a steal with the full 5 year Sony ES warranty.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 7:47:11 PM gullahisland wrote:

Refurbished could mean "used". If it's factory refurbished, IMHO, then it may very well be a safer bet than a "new" one. The rationale goes something like this: A new item comes off of an assembly line and receives only a cursory inspection. A factory refurbished item has been thoroughly tested and inspected by a trained technician to meet or exceed factory spec. It's a win-win, if I may be so cliche'.

9.gif
----------------

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO YOU

My experience with refurbished electronics has been a positive one. For example, I bought a refurbished Denon 2900 about a year ago. Works perfect, no complaints, and I saved a bundle.

The only caveat is that most factory-refurbished goods come with a reduced warranty (some from 30 days - 90 days, 6 months, etc.). That has never swayed me, however.

Carl.

Factory referbs sometimes known as B stock usually sell for 50% to 70% of retail. They are usually good buys provided any DOA machine can be exchanged and a full warranty applies. Some B stock has minor cosmetic damage, so inspect carefully before you buy if possible.

Some gear has a design flaw. These factory referbs should be avoided like the plague. Be certain that the model you are buying has a good reputation.

Bill

----------------

On 2/25/2005 6:35:24 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with "Factory refurbished" electronics? I've got a friend thinking of buying a cd player and can save significant money by getting one "refurbished."

My thoughts are:

Refurbished like "Replaced the on-off switch" or refurbished like "Caught fire."

Maybe its just me but I cracked up on the 'caught fire",its Friday.The only real downside I see is getting a unit that has noticable cosmetic defects.I've bought lots of new and used,no refurb but its all according to the deal.

----------------

On 2/25/2005 11:27:21 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

Tom,

I got the full ES 5 yr warranty but I'm not sure were talking about the same unit, I paid like $250 or something. Mine is a C330-ES, I don't think it was like $1300 new. It came in a box marked Sony Refurb from a Sony dealer. I'm real happy with it.
----------------

Oh sorry. I thought you meant the SCD-333ES which gets rave reviews around here for the price point. Especially used or "B" stock. I rarely if ever see them come up on eBay or Audiogon which tells something.

I have never heard of the C330-ES. I need to take a look into that one since I trust your judgement. I am glad to hear you're happy with yours. After all, that's all that is really important in the grand scheme of thngs.

Many "refurbs" were never problematical to start with. Ever wonder what happens when someone returns a unit during a 14 or 30 day return policy? Yes, they go back to the manufacturer to be checked out and wind up being sold as a "refurb".

I've purchased several pieces of equipment that were labled "refurb" and never had a problem.

JR