banana plugs

colterphoto1

OUCH, I've been trying to get banana plugs to use for all my cabling for THREE yes three HT systems all with Klipsch Speakers.

First problem is that some of the speakers don't take the standard dual spacing banana plug. Got some GHS singles from Tom Adams (Speakerrepair.com), but here's the problem with them, they are so massive with their strain relief, etc, that if you use them on the Receiver end, they might touch and because their shells are metal and not isolated from the conducter, they will short out and receiver will shut off (hopfully before burning up)

Then I ordered a bunch of dual bananas from same company, except that instead of the standard 4-blade split on the pin end, they have many tiny splits, and this sleeve, 'rotates' around the central pin, even inserted into a jack, the two will rotate around each other. Not a solid unit as pictured in their website 'actual photo of part being shipped'.

So I've got about 80 banana plugs here that don't work. ANyone have this experience with speakerrepair.com? I plan on ordering normal parts from partsexpress from now on.

Michael

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 2/27/2005 5:40:06 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

OUCH, I've been trying to get banana plugs to use for all my cabling for THREE yes three HT systems all with Klipsch Speakers.

First problem is that some of the speakers don't take the standard dual spacing banana plug. Got some GHS singles from Tom Adams (Speakerrepair.com), but here's the problem with them, they are so massive with their strain relief, etc, that if you use them on the Receiver end, they might touch and because their shells are metal and not isolated from the conducter, they will short out and receiver will shut off (hopfully before burning up)

Then I ordered a bunch of dual bananas from same company, except that instead of the standard 4-blade split on the pin end, they have many tiny splits, and this sleeve, 'rotates' around the central pin, even inserted into a jack, the two will rotate around each other. Not a solid unit as pictured in their website 'actual photo of part being shipped'.

So I've got about 80 banana plugs here that don't work. ANyone have this experience with speakerrepair.com? I plan on ordering normal parts from partsexpress from now on.

Michael

----------------

Mike,

The first thing I can say is to chunck all the banana plugs. It is the worst way to connect your system. They will allways get loose. They were never ment to be installed piece. They are for a system that is un hooked all the time.

Your best bet is to use bare wire.

Easy to use, you can make a new connection when needed and you can't beat the price.

Trey

----------------

On 2/27/2005 8:20:44 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

----------------

On 2/27/2005 5:40:06 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Michael

----------------

Mike,

The first thing I can say is to chunck all the banana plugs. It is the worst way to connect your system. They will allways get loose. They were never ment to be installed piece. They are for a system that is un hooked all the time.

Your best bet is to use bare wire.

Easy to use, you can make a new connection when needed and you can't beat the price.

Trey

----------------

hate to disagree with a klipsch employee....

but.... if you use larger gauge wire (10 gauge or 12 gauge) it is very difficult to get the full diameter of the wire into the small openings on the connector on the back of klispch speakers

additionally - if you use the paired banana plugs, you avoid any accidental shorts.... i use phoenix gold plugs on my KLF-30's and they are very tight - they will accept up to 9 gauge cables

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-583

Part Number 263-583

on the receiver side, you usually can't use these because most receivers use smaller spacing

i use the following on my receiver for my surround and rear channels (on my carver pro amp i use the same double ones that i use on my speakers)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-582

Part Number 263-582

none of these plugs that i use have worked loose or "loosened" over time - even with repeated use (taking them in and out of the plug)

i do tape them up with colored electrical tape to avoid any accidental shorts (red and black tape)

1.gif

Thanks, looks like Parts Express has better quality stuff. The GLS is JUNK. Sorry to disagree with you Trey, but I used bananas for years in PA and installed systems, never a problem and YES, I do change things around constantly. Especially in the back of a receiver, there are so many junctions so close together that it is nearly impossible to get them all inserted properly with no strays and good tight links.

Hope SPeakerrepairs takes all this chinese junk back for full refund. We'll see.

Michael

Recently bought a couple of packs of these just to see how they were:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=278-306

And suprisingly, they are pretty decent. A bit pricey, but I like them. They are short and I like the manner in which the wire is captured.

Hey Michael...I must admit that the GLS are not that great. I haven't had any issues with mine, but I can see what you are saying about their design and it's gotten me paranoid. Especially the thought of the connectors (gulp) touching on the back of my massive output Sherbourne. YIKES!15.gif

Tom

Well, I'll never buy from Orange County SPeaker Repair again. Their photo online shows 'actual photo of part shipped' but they show the standard 4 'blade' split metal ends on the banana plug, yet they shipped some Chinese looking thing where the sleeve turns separate of the the set screw block. Wont' credit shipping charges and I'm not about to lose $12 shipping and pay to have them returned, just stuck using them until they fail, I guess.

NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY, they show one thing and ship inferior products. Sorry.

Michael

----------------

On 3/2/2005 8:04:55 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Well, I'll never buy from Orange County SPeaker Repair again. Their photo online shows 'actual photo of part shipped' but they show the standard 4 'blade' split metal ends on the banana plug, yet they shipped some Chinese looking thing where the sleeve turns separate of the the set screw block. Wont' credit shipping charges and I'm not about to lose $12 shipping and pay to have them returned, just stuck using them until they fail, I guess.

NEVER BUY FROM THIS COMPANY, they show one thing and ship inferior products. Sorry.

Michael

----------------

parts express.... fast service and they ship what is pictured...

(see links in post above!)

1.gif

I use the Phoenix Gold ones that Minn Male pictured. The Dayton Audio ones are nice too and reasonably priced.

My '62 Cornwalls and '77 Khorn's use spades and I got the nice crimp on gold plated ones from Parts Express as well.

As dangerous as it may be to disagree with Trey2.gif , I too think the Phoenix Gold are the trick. You can cinch those suckers down like a cold weld with your fingers and they stay that way. I've had them stuck in my wall plugs for 10 years and haven't found a loose one yet. And the doubles work great with my Klipsch and Acurus.

Keith

I used some shrink wrap tubing on my banana plugs. They provide strain relief support and also can cover up part of the metal plug's body to help avoid accidental shorts. If you want a few pieces to experiment with, get me your name/addr, and I'll mail a few to you.