6U8 / 6GH8 / 6U8A - differences?

Woodog

I put this question in the technical forum and there were no answers... so here it is here..

what do the 6U8 tubes do?

I've ordered and received new Philips JAN 6U8A tubes and will replace the telefunken 6U8 tubes in my Scott 208 tonight. They were getting noisy.

They were fairly cheap as far as tubes go. Should I spend a little more $$$ and get some more Telefunkens or Siemens or ???. Is the sonic effect that noticable?

Hopefully one of you has an answer! 1.gif

thanks all,

Forrest

From what I have read or picked up on this forum a 6u8, 6u8a, 6gh8, 6bl8 or called phase inverter tubes, at least that is what I remember people calling these tubes. What they do I havent a clue, Craig can tell ya thow what their purpose is.I run some jan phillips 6u8a in my scott 299a and they are dead quit, nice tubes and are cheep, cant go wrong with these.I tried other 6u8a and 6bl8 tubes in my scott I cant tell a difference in sound between them.

In your 208 they are Driver/Phase inverters this tube is important and if you could find a nice set of NEW telefunkens you would have the best there is but finding a brand new set is a job. I wouldn't bother buying them used because you will end up with the same problem they will become noisy.

Craig

"I wouldn't bother buying them used because you will end up with the same problem they will become noisy."

Quoted for truth. 6U8's for some reason can go noisy, one may go through several sets before finding a good pair. I have particular need for high quality 6U8's as that is the linestage tube in the McIntosh MX-110 preamp....and I have tossed several pairs already.

The Seimens seem to work well in that slot, and they sound good too.

Thanks all. the Jan Philips sound very good, and they got to me in just two days, well packed from TubeDepot.com.

I had been using the Teac a-7 T-amp while waiting, and boy was I ever glad the tubes showed up quickly!

I'm spoiled.

Thebes, cool site, thanks for posting the link.

peace,

Forrest

----------------

On 3/4/2005 7:30:05 PM thebes wrote:

Thanks to a fellow forum member I have downloaded the tube serach feature at this site, and fond it very useful in obtaining tube data. It hasn't been posted in a while so here it is:

Download the TDSL Personal Addition. Very cool.
----------------

Dang it Thebes - thanks for taking time away from the twins and posting this site. Most Excellent...