The Altecs have landed

Dylanl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never laughed as hard as I did last night when I signed onto the Altec forum and there you two were with those posts. That forum very rarely get visitors but I thought Wow 2 new post I have got to read them. When I did, I felt like a kid with his hand stuck in the cookie jar. I just kept thinking how did they know I was here?? You two are to much9.gif9.gif

I find it funny how the JBL forum has folks lamenting the demise of the classic JBL products. Sounds like the Klipsch forum lamenting the lack of emphasis on the Heritage speakers.

Marvel

I got absolutlely NO HELP from the Altec forum when I first got my Santiagos. Very unlike this forum when I first posted with a problem. Literally dozens of folks here chimed in with helpful advice and a warm welcome. I received virtually no response from the Altec forum and the one I did get was of no help whatsoever.

Luckily I have some friends who are into Altecs or I may never have been able to get my speakers up to original spec.

I hope you have better luck. I really don't know if snobbery had anything to do with it but it made me realize what a unique place this is and is probably the reason so many non-klipsch owners or horn-lovers in general tend to hang out here.

Gary the funny thing about the Altec forum is that the people who visit do know what they are talking about ( when it comes to Altecs ) but there never seems to be anyone there. The Lansing heritage is a much better site.

There is something special about the Klipsch forum that you do not find on others that is definitely why so many horn guys come and stay.

----------------

On 3/6/2005 9:42:12 PM Dylanl wrote:

Gary the funny thing about the Altec forum is that the people who visit do know what they are talking about ( when it comes to Altecs ) but there never seems to be anyone there. The Lansing heritage is a much better site.

There is something special about the Klipsch forum that you do not find on others that is definitely why so many horn guys come and stay.

----------------

Ditto. I got one helpful resopnse to an inquiry on the Lansing Heritage site, and I can tell it's a good forum. It's very JBL oriented, though. Nothing wrong with that, I just have Altec questions. I did get some interesting suggestions regarding adding JBL tweets to the 2-way 9844 (811B/2x414)

Funny thing is that I WAS referring to the Lansing Heritage forum! I must admit they did seem to know their stuff. Just weren't a very friendly group. Maybe it was just bad timing or not many folks there were familiar with Santiagos which are pretty rare animals.

I was so used to this forum and the way folks go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

----------------

On 3/6/2005 10:32:11 PM garymd wrote:

Funny thing is that I WAS referring to the Lansing Heritage forum! I must admit they did seem to know their stuff. Just weren't a very friendly group. Maybe it was just bad timing or not many folks there were familiar with Santiagos which are pretty rare animals.

I was so used to this forum and the way folks go out of their way to make you feel welcome.
----------------

I guess it was a bad timing. I was looking for a single JBL 126A woofer, about 6 weeks ago, and got a lot of help from the guys there, which led me to find one.

Well for whatever reason the fellas at the Altec forum aren't chatty like the people here. A Jack Webb, just the facts maam kind of place. But as has been mentioned you can get very useful information there and the people tend towards being practical rather than delusional. Mechanical guys.

I think a certain amount of "snobbery" is responsible for a lack of both warmth and hospitality when talking about high-dollar items in general and audio in particular.

In my experience, many self-professed "audiophiles" tend to be rather snobby. They also tend to look down their noses at Klipsch products in the same manner as, say, Mercedes drivers look down at Toyota drivers.

There's nothing wrong with a Toyota, of course, and if anything, it'll probably outlast the Benz (at least the ones built in the past 15 years or so) with far, far less maintenance required.

Kinda reminds me of the "high-tech," high-buck speakers of the 70s and early 80s that used "exotic," multi-colored foam surrounds on their direct radiators. Look at them now - they're all rotten and dead. But Klipsch, with their "low-tech" paper woofers and surrounds are still going strong.

Benz vs. Toyota.

True, Klipsch Hertiage have tended to be priced like the upscale Toyotas (read: Lexus), but they're still cheaper then a Big Benz and in my opinion give Camry/Corolla-like reliability while performing like a Z-06 Vette.

The Vette, by the way, is, unfortunately, often looked down upon by high-dollar "sophisticated" Porsche drivers.

It's an old story guys.

----------------

On 3/7/2005 12:49:25 AM TBrennan wrote:

Well for whatever reason the fellas at the Altec forum aren't chatty like the people here. A Jack Webb, just the facts maam kind of place. But as has been mentioned you can get very useful information there and the people tend towards being practical rather than delusional. Mechanical guys.

----------------

Perhaps Altec owners spend more of their time listening to their systems?

----------------

On 3/7/2005 8:07:18 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

OOOh ! Gary !

Santiago's .......betcha like the low end on them ...
:)

how are your surrounds ..???

----------------

I sold them about a year ago. Like I said, the mids were to die for but even after about 200 hours of break-in on the new/original woofers, I just didn't get the low-end I craved. Definitely a preference issue. They were very nice speakers and the guy I sold them to just loved them. They've been replaced with Khorns so now everyone is happy.1.gif

BTW - I got them from an ad in the pennysaver and ended up trading a set of Bose AM5s for the pair. They were the slate-top model (very cool). I wish I liked them better and I REALLY, REALLY tried but it was hopeless. I never would have been satisfied.

That is why I shied away from the A7 Voice of the Theater. Great mid. but low end stops at 50Hz. As much as I like smooth sound I have got to have bottom end along with it. Gary, if you ever get the chance to listen to the 19s I think you would be pleasently plesaed with them. I have never heard the model 17 but the specs. are the same. Horns however are different.

"That is why I shied away from the A7 Voice of the Theater. Great mid. but low end stops at 50Hz."

Just like a LaScala. ;)

I ended up using an A7 horn/driver (551b/902) on my Las with a pair of subs to fill out the bottom.

Shawn

----------------

On 3/7/2005 10:49:50 AM Dylanl wrote:

Gary, if you ever get the chance to listen to the 19s I think you would be pleasently plesaed with them.

----------------

Dylanl,

My daughter will be attending St. Francis University beginning next fall. I'll be making many trips up your way next year. All I need is an invitation...............2.gif