Norton Subscription due, upgrade or not?

My Norton 2003 subscription is about to expire, am wondering if for $5 I should upgrade to the 2005 just for the ad and spywarer checking it has or would it use up a lot of space in order to do something I could do just as easily with adaware or some other free program?

The whole laptop is due for replacement, it's 6+ years old, I may just skip the whole thing and get a new laptop, but we're ordering a new home computer this week, don't want to spend too much money I don't have to begin with.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Haven't upgraded OR up'd the subscription. Currently unprotected. It's a business, so the AVG may not be an option. Looking at two new computers, one for the shop and one for home that we can link to the shop with via remote desktop, not excited about renewing the subscription when I have new computers coming in a couple weeks anyway. Am I being penny wise, pound foolish? I know it's only $25, but hey, if I had someone come in the door every day and hand me $25 for nothing, I'd be a damn happy camper!

Am I being penny wise, pound foolish?

---------------------------------------------

It really depends on who's using them and what you're doing with them. As long as you stay off questionable websites, don't open any suspicious emails, and have some kind of firewall, you can most likely skate by for for those few weeks.

This all depends on who's using it though. I did a clean install on my parent's (who are not computer savy) PC, and was going to come back the next weekend with some antivirus software. Within 2 hours I get a call that the PC is broke. Came back the next weekend....more viruses.

As long as you use good judgement though, you should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't paid for a new Norton product in years, and I've got a bunch of it - AV, FW, Partition Magic, Ghost -- on 3 PCs at home. Just keep your eyes open for rebates that make it free - they run ads all the time. So you end up paying sales tax - about $5-7 tops. I've even seen 3-pc versions for free. Check out www.outpost.com. You can sign up for their weekly flyer via e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

While Norton software is prolific, it does have its negatives. One of them is the occasional bad disc you get from them which they will never admit that it is bad. Another is their software entangles itself so bad in the registry that if you ever want to purge it out you have to wipe the hard drive and reload the OS. Another occasional problem is a bad live update download (which you must do every day as they have a new download every two days) which can reak havoc with your online software. This happened a few months back and it takes them about two days of people hammering on them to get it fixed. They never admit to a mistake. The last problem they had was with the Windows installer software conflicting with theirs. Only took about 5-6 years to get that fixed. The new Windows 3.1 installer software will prevent the Norton stuff from screwing up your computer. Their stuff does work however.

I have the Winfax fax software, Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam, and Firewall in two online computers with Win2k. Good luck.

JJK

Use AVG Antivirus Free Edition for all your antivirus needs - it's free and the detection rate and CPU utilization is equal-to or better than Norton.

Always also use "Kerio Personal Firewall" (make sure to disable the Windows firewall if there is one).

Never use Internet Explorer unless absolutely necessary (use Firefox instead, it's much faster and a far better browser in general, even if you disregard security)

Use "Spybot Search & Destroy" and "SpywareBlaster" for your spyware protection/eradication needs. I find that setting Spybot to run every night at 3:45AM keeps my computer nice and safe.

• 7 months later...

People people stop arguing,why pay when you can get AVG Free and spend money on audio or more important things in life. [:D]

Get AVG Free,Norton is nothing special,AVAST is a better antivirus if you want to pay,or AVG Pro. The only Norton that is worthy is the Corporate Edition 10 but it has anti spyware monitoring and it is very heavy,the Corp 9.0 does the same job against viruses but lacks the anti spyware and is light on the CPU.