This guy is calling Cornwall IIs inferrior.... Why?

m00n

I always have problems with a link in the first box of a thread.

I couldn't see the link. But moving the cursor around the suspected area changed it from an arrow to a hand with pointing finger. Left clicking openned the link.

Gil

Maybe the guy likes the sound of the Cornwall I better.

Then again, maybe he sees the replacement of the K55 mid and the K77 tweeter--along with the newer plastic horns--as a cheapening of the model.

The guy's certainly entitled to his opinion.

I just don't happen to see it that way. In my experience, the Cornwall II sounds smoother overall, and also plays louder. The plastic horns also alleviate the need to dampen them, which is often done to the old metal horns. Granted, some people like the metal horns as-is, but then others complain of resonances and vibrations that can be heard at certain frequencies and at certain volume levels that can only be tamed via the dampening of the horn. The plastic horns don't have this problem.

I also see the guy's asking 950 for the Cornwalls. That's kinda pricey. I hope they're in museum-like shape for that money.

-H2G

m00n, why do you think, he is SELLING them! The '86-'90 Cornwall II is NOT MDF anyway it is the same baltic birch plywood. The K-34E drivers are the same as the K-33E but with a decorator type cardboard ring around it since it is designed to be flush mounted to the motorboard. The K-57K/K-601 and K-79K are smoother and have extended range over their predecessors.

That being said the CII cabinet is also reinforced front to back with a piece of wood to sturdy it up, however they added no insulation to the inside of the cabinet and it resonates when you knock on the side of the cabinet. Nothing some Scotch 77 spray glue and acoustic panels from Parts Express or Bass Linear cannot remedy. The crossover network to me is really "el cheapo" there is not even a terminal strip, the ones I had had a piece of metal that looked like a series of paper clips hammered into a wood board mounted to the back of the cabinet that all the components and speaker leads were soldered to. Yuk!

Despite the network the speakers still sound very good! Add the acoustic panels and rework the crossover and they will be awesome! They were more detailed than my '62's, the '86 CII's that I had anyway. I think my '62's will give them a run for the money with some worked up networks though!

To my knowledge Rick, the plastic horns made their debut--along with the different drivers--on the Cornwall II model. The also mounted those horns to the front of the board (like the Heresy II) and sealed the rear of the cabinet permanently. On the old Cornwall and Heresy models, the metal horns were mounted from the inside, behind the board, and the backs of the cabinets were removable. This all went the way of the Dodo bird when the Cornwall II and Heresy II models were introduced.

Frzninvt also brought up a good point - the Cornwall II, and the Heresy II for that matter, do NOT have cabinets manufactured from MDF. My Heresy IIs were made in '88 or '89 by the way. I do not know if the newer Heresy IIs are still constructed this way; perhaps they did make a change to pure MDF in the mid to late 90s.

The date of manufacture on my Heresy IIs also brings up a good point. They were made in 1988 or 1989 and they sat around until I bought them, brand new, from The Sound Mill in Mount Kisco, NY in August of 2001. That's 2 to 3 years of shelf-time. Even back then, there wasn't much of a rush on Klipsch Heritage products.

Imagine what it would be like today. A pair of Heresy IIs being made in 2004 might sit on a back shelf somewhere until 2014.

I guess that's partly why they're made-to-order only.

Of course, few people know Klipsch is still selling them...but that's another story.

-H2G

I've never seen a Cornwall made out of Baltic Birch.

They used birch plywood on unfinished ones and lumbercore on finished models up 'till about '87~'88. MDF showed up after that, but with the backs and fronts glued in, and a brace from front-to-back, I think the MDF was only a weight issue.

If the wire harness is soldered directly to the drivers (like the earlier models) the Cornwall II smokes the original Cornwall AFAIAK.

Here is a CW-1 with K-52 squaker ser #37Y164

K-52cw1.jpg

And the data on a CW II from this web site:

Cornwall II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

38Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY:

101dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING:

100 watts maximum continuous (1000 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:

8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE:

Bass reflex via front-mounted port

DRIVE COMPONENTS:

Three-way system using one 1" (2.54cm) polymer diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x40° Exponential horn, one 1.5" (3.81cm) phenolic diaphragm compression driver midrange with a 90°x40° Exponential horn and one 15" (38.1cm) fiber-composite cone woofer

TWEETER:

K-79-K 1" (2.54cm) Polymer diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN:

90°x40° Exponential Horn

HF CROSSOVER:

6000Hz

MIDRANGE:

K-57-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID FREQUENCY HORN:

90°x40° Exponential Horn

MF CROSSOVER:

600Hz

WOOFER:

K-34-E 15" (38.1cm) Fiber-composite cone

DIMENSIONS:

35.75" (90.8cm) x 25.25" (64.1cm) x 15.5" (39.4cm)

WEIGHT:

90 lbs. (40.9kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL:

Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES:

Raw Birch, Walnut Oil, Walnut Lacquer, Oak Oil, Oak Lacquer, Finished Black

BUILT FROM:

BUILT TO:

post-12829-13819262338624_thumb.jpg

They did the same thing with the Heresy model. There's an unofficial Heresy 1.5, which was made while transitioning to the Heresy II. It used the Heresy I cabinet and the K77 tweeter, but used a Heresy II woofer (I believe) with a K52 midrange. I don't know how many of these were actually made but I've seen a few. Andy (hdbrbuilder) said it was due to Klipsch wanting to use up old parts while at the same time having trouble getting the new parts going. Instead of stopping production until they got everything squared away, they produced a bunch of these Frankenstein models that were part this and part that.

-H2G