best affordable CD player for analog output

m54

I have an analog system based on the PMA 2000 IV (Denon integrated) with a turntable and occasionally the iPod. I am looking to add a quality CD player <$600. I need one based on the quality of its analog outs since this amp does no digital decoding. Any recommendations?

• Like 1

My 963 had a death-seizure the other night so to make al ong story short, I wound up getting a Toshiba SD-3960 at Best Buy that was on sale for $49.

It's virtually impossible to tell it apart from the 963 to my ears and is the best bang-for-your-buck cure for "digititus."

Sure, the thing is built like a piece of garbage. It's so light that when I picked up the box I thought the damned thing was empty! LOL 2.gif

But for some reason, that 192/24 DAC sounds very, very smooth. I just did a A/B comparison to my old Yamaha CDX500U cd player from the late 80s and it was like night and day.

For the current sale price of $49, it's impossible to beat. Yeah, it made me raise an eyebrow when I picked it up and I winced when I pressed the keys and the CD drawer is extremely flimsy but then you hear the sound and it leaves you scratching your head.

Gotta be the DAC...

-H2G

I would second the AH! Njoe Tjoeb at $699 it is a little over your budget of $600.,I have one and love it. I also noticed in the new Audio Advisor cat. that I got yesterday a new model Marantz CD5400 CD player for $299.99 that looks a lot like the old Marantz CD4000 model that is used for the AH! Njoe Tjoeb upgraded unit, it could be the 2005 model,it might also be something to look at,at less than half the price. You might be able to find a local Marantz dealer that has one to look at.2.gif

The AH! Njoe Tjoeb 99 is the old model that is the one that came out before the 4000 and the 99 is probably about four years or older I heard the old model sounds great too, but I would be wondering how many hours it has on it, and buying used you are taking more of a chance with no warranty.2.gif

----------------

On 3/16/2005 6:06:30 PM shload wrote:

AH! Njoe Tjoeb 99 on Audiogon $375.00

----------------

I thought about buying that one. After reading up about it, I decided to pass. It is based on a cheap (very cheap) Marantz player. Longevity may be an issue.

A review also stated that the Rega Planet was better. You can get a Rega for about $450 - $500.

Chris

I've got both the Ah! 4000 and the Rega Planet, and I prefer the Ah! - if for no other reason is the option to tube roll. I bought the player mint but slightly used, with Seimens 7308's from Upscale audio thrown in by the seller for $400. Those tubes really made this player shine!!

The 4000 is a much better version than the '99.

The AH! Njoe Tjob 4000 is based on a consumer grade CD player, but from what I have read the transport is suppose to be the same transport that is used in very high dollor units. I also have read that the case and the transport are the only things they use of the Marantz CD-4000 consumer grade unit, the cicuit boards that hold the vacuum tubes and the transformers are all changed out and basicly the unit is a highly tweaked unit, to give it that close to analog LP sound ( a warmer detailed sound),and to me it works at doing just that. I must add that in the April 2005 issue of Sterophile Mag. that this player is a 2005 recommended component. I choose this player for myself because I wanted a high end sound with out paying two or three thousand or a lot more. Upscale audio is the only place in the USA that you can by this unit new, you can find out a lot more about this player at WWW.upscaleaudio.com .

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:03:14 AM Randy Taylor wrote:

The AH! Njoe Tjob 4000 is based on a consumer grade CD player, but from what I have read the transport is suppose to be the same transport that is used in very high dollor units. I also have read that the case and the transport are the only things they use of the Marantz CD-4000 consumer grade unit, the cicuit boards that hold the vacuum tubes and the transformers are all changed out and basicly the unit is a highly tweaked unit, to give it that close to analog LP sound ( a warmer detailed sound),and to me it works at doing just that. I must add that in the April 2005 issue of Sterophile Mag. that this player is a 2005 recommended component. I choose this player for myself because I wanted a high end sound with out paying two or three thousand or a lot more. Upscale audio is the only place in the USA that you can by this unit new, you can find out a lot more about this player at WWW.upscaleaudio.com .

----------------

I was talking about the Ah 99 that is for sale on audiogon. The older model was described as using a cheap player and the Rega was described as being better. The new model is supposed to be much better.

Chris

Hello,

The Marantz CD5400 is indeed 2005 model. I picked one up a few months ago and have been very happy with it. It's built well, reasonably priced and a great performer. I'd recommend it.

-Jon

----------------

On 3/16/2005 1:23:46 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

I would second the AH! Njoe Tjoeb at $699 it is a little over your budget of $600.,I have one and love it. I also noticed in the new Audio Advisor cat. that I got yesterday a new model Marantz CD5400 CD player for $299.99 that looks a lot like the old Marantz CD4000 model that is used for the AH! Njoe Tjoeb upgraded unit, it could be the 2005 model,it might also be something to look at,at less than half the price. You might be able to find a local Marantz dealer that has one to look at.
2.gif

----------------

I have thought about buying one of those $50 Toshiba DVD players just to see if it sounds as good as everyone says, but I have a good CD player (AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000)and a good DVD player,so it is hard to spend the $50 just to try it, maybe i'll have a chance to hear someone elses that bought one to use in there system.2.gif

Randy,

If you've got a Best Buy or Ciruit City or Target nearby, you can drop the $50, take it home, give it a whirl, and then simply return it for a refund.

Assuming you have a store close by, the only thing it'll cost you is gas money and some personal time.

Just food for thought.

Take care,

-H2G